Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 15:16
lexis wrote:
Smithtown University’s fund-raisers succeeded in getting donations from 80 percent of the potential donors they contacted. This success rate, exceptionally high for university fund-raisers, does not indicate that they were doing a good job. On the contrary, since the people most likely to donate are those who have donated in the past, good fund-raisers constantly try less-likely prospects in an effort to expand the donor base. The high success rate shows insufficient canvassing effort.

Which of the following, if true, provides more support for the argument?

A. Smithtown University’s fund-raisers were successful in their contacts with potential donors who had never given before about as frequently as were fund-raisers for other universities in their contacts with such people.
-Not very sure about this one though...but will probably goes a little bit out of scope..
B. This year the average size of the donations to Smithtown University from new donors when the university’s fund-raisers had contacted was larger than the average size of donations from donors who had given to the university before.
-Does not support
C. This year most of the donations that came to Smithtown University from people who had previously donated to it were made without the university’s fund-raisers having made any contact with the donors.
-The argument says that The high success rate shows insufficient canvassing effort.Hence, If no canvassing was done to contact the majority of the donors..then this supports the conclusion by proving that this is insufficient canvassing effort.

D. The majority of the donations that fund-raisers succeeded in getting for Smithtown University this year were from donors who had never given to the university before.
-Actually weakens the conclusion
E. More than half of the money raised by Smithtown University’s fund-raisers came from donors who had never previously donated to the university
-Again weakens..as an improvement in the donor base is evident

Very good question Lexis...

Will go with C on this one...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 15:18
Whats the OA Lexis ...
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

Re: Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 15:55
i am going with C on this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Re: Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 20:15
A great Q(+1)
- I am in for A. OA?
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 0

Re: Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 20:52
I'll go with A,

If we change the first line of the question stem from

"Smithtown University’s fund-raisers succeeded in getting donations from 80 percent of the potential donors they contacted"
to
"Smithtown University’s fund-raisers succeeded in getting donations from 80 percent of the potential donors."

Then its C.

I dont think this question is from OG or GMATprep (I havent done OG CR).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

Re: Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 22:46
Indeed, C weaken the conclusion! If C were true, most donations would come without effort.
Director
Director

Re: Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 22:59
lexis wrote:
Indeed, C weaken the conclusion! If C were true, most donations would come without effort.

Could you please tell us the source of this question......
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 00:52
C for me too...

OA please.... the wait is killing me... :x
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 01:23
IMO C is the answer on this one

if all the ppl paid up the donations without being contacted then it actually goes on to prove that the canvassing efforts are not being successful.

What s the OA for this

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Re: Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 03:15
I think C is the right one here.

I was stuck between A and C for a while. A compares fund raising activities at other universities, which I think is in appropriate/out of scope.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 08:43
Sorry!
OA is A.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 08:47
This is why I chose A, even beyond POE.

Answer Ashows the fund-raisers didn't do anything special. The argument calls for extra effort on the part of contacting people that have never previously donated. If they did nothing more than any other university did, then they are not doing enough to expand their donor base. The key in the argument made by the stem is "lack of extra effort". Only this answer also shows a lack of extra effort by the university.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Re: Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 08:58
lexis wrote:
Sorry!
OA is A.

Hence proved, voting doesnt work in CR. there were 10 in favor of C as compared to 4 for A. :-D

I'd still like to know the source of this question. I think it wasnt written properly.
SVP
SVP

Re: Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 09:01
I think it was written properly, but it's just a very difficult question. As you can see, its' easy to come down to A or C for the answer, but you have to realize C weakens the argument and A does provide support, even though very little support, it is "more support" than any other and the question simply asks for "more support".
durgesh79 wrote:
lexis wrote:
Sorry!
OA is A.

Hence proved, voting doesnt work in CR. there were 10 in favor of C as compared to 4 for A. :-D

I'd still like to know the source of this question. I think it wasnt written properly.

J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Director
Director

Re: Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 09:08
jallenmorris wrote:
I think it was written properly, but it's just a very difficult question. As you can see, its' easy to come down to A or C for the answer, but you have to realize C weakens the argument and A does provide support, even though very little support, it is "more support" than any other and the question simply asks for "more support".
durgesh79 wrote:
lexis wrote:
Sorry!
OA is A.

But As i said earlier, if you do the below, C becomes the perfect answer.

If you change the first line of the question stem from
"Smithtown University’s fund-raisers succeeded in getting donations from 80 percent of the potential donors they contacted"
to
"Smithtown University’s fund-raisers succeeded in getting donations from 80 percent of the potential donors."
SVP
SVP

Re: Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 09:11
Sure if you changed the question to something you can answer it's easy! You have to go with the question given and answer that question only. You CANNOT change the question or you change the meaning. This is evidenced by the fact that the OA is A, not C. If the authors wanted the OA to be C, they probably would have written it the way you suggest.

durgesh79 wrote:
lexis wrote:
Sorry!
OA is A.

[/quote]

J Allen Morris

Director
Director

Re: Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 09:16
jallenmorris wrote:
Sure if you changed the question to something you can answer it's easy! You have to go with the question given and answer that question only. You CANNOT change the question or you change the meaning. This is evidenced by the fact that the OA is A, not C. If the authors wanted the OA to be C, they probably would have written it the way you suggest.

Anyway, with the given question stem I was (and still I am) in favor of A only. (you can refer my earlier post).

The reason i'm asking for source is that i feel it could be one of those real GMAT questions, remembered by people so its quite possible they'd have made a typo in reproducing the question. I may be wrong also... just a thought ....
SVP
SVP

Re: Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 09:41
If the person is trying to remember the question from the real GMAT then I totally agree, a typo could easily have happened, but you're not likely to get anyone to admit it is a real GMAT question as disclosing it as such is a violation of the nondisclosure agreement we all sign when we take the test. Even if I didn't post the original question but recognized it from my GMAT experience, I would say nothing as confirming it as such is the same as posting it to begin with.

durgesh79 wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:

Anyway, with the given question stem I was (and still I am) in favor of A only. (you can refer my earlier post).

The reason i'm asking for source is that i feel it could be one of those real GMAT questions, remembered by people so its quite possible they'd have made a typo in reproducing the question. I may be wrong also... just a thought ....

J Allen Morris

Last edited by jallenmorris on 30 Jun 2008, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 10:05
I agree with Jallenmorris, we can not revise the sentences in the passage. Because, by this way we may distort the context of argument.

Durgesh79, you indicate that 10 people choose C while only 4 people choose A. Assume that if we vote for best one, 4 people may be lose. Ironically, GMAC does not allow GMAT testers vote for best choice.

I believe that if someone post a convincing reason to show up why A is correct answer, you will laugh and say: oh, it is really tricky.

I will post my explanation latter.
Director
Director

Re: Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 19:52
jallenmorris wrote:
If the person is trying to remember the question from the real GMAT then I totally agree, a typo could easily have happened, but you're not likely to get anyone to admit it is a real GMAT question as disclosing it as such is a violation of the nondisclosure agreement we all sign when we take the test. Even if I did post the original question but recognized it from my GMAT experience, I would say nothing as confirming it as such is the same as posting it to begin with.

That's exactly why i asked for the source, I dont think its from OG. If it is from one of the GMAT tution classes then there is no chance of typo, and I'll be wrong .......
but if it is just taken from internet or 1000CR stuff.... or some of the chinese JJ sites, then there is a high chance, that its a real GMAT question with a typo... i wont get to admit it to anyone ..... but it'll support my doubt.....

BTW I did some googling on this question. I Couldnt find a source or OA/OE. It has been disscussed on some other sites and fight is between A and C......

And Lexis, I'm not asking to change the question stem. I'm just saying that if we change the question stem, there will be a clear answer.....

Having said all that ... if i come across this question (or similar) in any tests/forum or even real GMAT in its current form. I'll mark A (without any doubt)....
Re: Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2008, 19:52