Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Smokers Only?!! Are you kidding?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Attending IE Nov 2010
WE 1: 11 years int'l work experience
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 14

Smokers Only?!! Are you kidding? [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 05:48
This post received
KUDOS
I just recently took my GMAT and I thought I would share my experience with you all.

I prepared using first a Kaplan 2006 Premiere Book. Interestingly, I bought this book for $2 at a used book sale and it's what got me to start thinking about an MBA! It was very helpful and I used all the practice tests on the CD, although they were very low scoring compared to my final.

Once I got serious (joined gmatclub, etc) I went ahead and got the OGs, and Kaplan's Math Workbook and went through every problem. The final week before my exam I canceled most of my appointments and hunkered down as much as possible to squeeze out about 40 hours of study time after work. I took a number of free online practice tests, all ranging about 570-690.

The day of the exam I was running late due to traffic, then I had trouble finding the building because it wasn't marked and in the midst of tons of other similar buildings. I barely got into the test center on time and got to breathe for just a minute before starting.

Half way through, during one of my 5 minute breaks, I asked if I could step out of the building for just a minute to get a breath of fresh air (I was getting light headed from being closed up, and not having had time for breakfast or lunch or coffee!) GET THIS - He asks, "do you need to smoke?" "No" "Then no you can't" "You mean if I smoked I could?!!!" "Yes" "but I can't just get 'fresh' air?" Nope.

I fumed back into the test room and started the English exam. As I sat down, I noticed a giant lump in my pocket. I had put my wallet in my pocket thinking I could grab a coffee from a vending machine and forgotten about it in my anger! My wallet needs to go on a diet, as Jerry Seinfeld would put it, and it makes me sit lop-sided. I was so nervous that I couldn't think straight. I can't sit like this for an hour, and I certainly can't tell them I forgot it - they'll kick me out. So, I just toughed it out as best I could, constantly thinking about it. By the time I had 10 questions left I was getting sick (caffeine addiction and poor air circulation) and I thought I might vomit. I forced myself to keep answering questions and finally pushed through to the end.

WHAT?! I had just scored a 570 on my last Kaplan exam and I was sure I had done poorly. I didn't believe it. I left and looked for an alley to vomit in, but ended up just dry heaving. It took me two hours to overcome the headache, but I finally recovered.

Now, two weeks later I am thrilled to have scored as well as I did. It still makes me angry that they discriminated against me because I'm not a smoker, but oh well. Life goes on.

Thanks for all the help, gmat clubbers!

Last edited by Jones105 on 04 Dec 2009, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 148

GMAT Tests User
Re: Smokers Only?!! Are you kidding? [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 08:20
wow what a story! congrats on your final score and congrats on not puking :D
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2233

Kudos [?]: 8379 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Smokers Only?!! Are you kidding? [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 08:47
Expert's post
Congratulations! Well done for a non-smoker :wink:

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Ross, MIT
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 13

Re: Smokers Only?!! Are you kidding? [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 09:41
Heh, I love it! Who knows... maybe you did better because you were distracted and the automatic ability just kicked in! Congrats.

"It never hurts to help!"

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Smokers Only?!! Are you kidding? [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 14:13
good job mate .

Automatics response is the reason.
Re: Smokers Only?!! Are you kidding?   [#permalink] 04 Dec 2009, 14:13