Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Smoking in bed has long been the main cause of home fires.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

Smoking in bed has long been the main cause of home fires. [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2009, 05:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:57) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Smoking in bed has long been the main cause of home fires. Despite a significant decline in cigarette smoking in the last two decades, however, there has been no comparable decline in the number of people killed in home fires.
Each one of the following statements, if true, over the last two decades, helps to resolve the apparent discrepancy above EXCEPT:

A. Compared to other types of home fires, home fires caused by smoking in bed usually cause relatively little damage before they are extinguished.

B. Home fires caused by smoking in bed often break out after the homes occupants have fallen asleep.

C. Smokers who smoke in bed tend to be heavy smokers who are less likely to quit smoking than are smokers who do not smoke in bed.

D. An increasing number of people have been killed in home fires that started in the kitchen.

E. Population densities have increased, with the result that one home fire can cause more deaths than in previous decades.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: CR : LSAT : Smoking in bed [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2009, 10:20
Hi mates,

IMO C

C is the only answer that doesn't say anything about fire killing people.

OA?

Thanks

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: CR : LSAT : Smoking in bed [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2009, 16:49
B

Quote:
Smoking in bed has long been the main cause of home fires. Despite a significant decline in cigarette smoking in the last two decades, however, there has been no comparable decline in the number of people killed in home fires.
Each one of the following statements, if true, over the last two decades, helps to resolve the apparent discrepancy above EXCEPT:

A. Compared to other types of home fires, home fires caused by smoking in bed usually cause relatively little damage before they are extinguished.
suggests smoking in bed never did cause deaths

B. Home fires caused by smoking in bed often break out after the homes occupants have fallen asleep.
doesnt explain why smoking decreased but deaths havent changed (used POE)

C. Smokers who smoke in bed tend to be heavy smokers who are less likely to quit smoking than are smokers who do not smoke in bed.
although smoking has declined, bed smokers havent stopped, thus no decline in deaths

D. An increasing number of people have been killed in home fires that started in the kitchen.
alternative reason for deaths

E. Population densities have increased, with the result that one home fire can cause more deaths than in previous decades.
more deaths per fire

Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R1 Dinged),Cornell (R2), Emory(Interview Scheduled), IESE (R1 Interviewed), ISB (Interviewed), LBS (R2), Vanderbilt (R3 Interviewed)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 10

Re: CR : LSAT : Smoking in bed [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2009, 22:49
A
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: CR : LSAT : Smoking in bed [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2009, 13:36
whats the OA?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

Re: CR : LSAT : Smoking in bed [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2009, 14:17
OA OE
26. (B)
One last question, and in it we’re faced with another apparent discrepancy. This time,
however, we’re looking for the one choice that doesn’t help explain the unusual result or
finding. First, we get some background info: smoking in bed has long been a major cause of
home fires. And here’s the surprise: even though cigarette smoking has significantly
declined over the last twenty years, the number of people killed in home fires hasn’t
declined accordingly. There are at least four good reasons why this is so, and we’ll see
those below in the wrong answer choices. But we’re looking for the one that doesn’t help
solve the mystery. And (B) could only deepen the mystery: if the fires caused by smoking
in bed tend to take place after the home’s occupants have fallen asleep, then home fires
caused by smoking would seem even deadlier, since it’s hard to evacuate your home when
you’re asleep. If fires caused by smoking are especially deadly, then it is all the more
confusing that a reduction in smoking has not led to a reduction of the number of people
killed in home fires. So (B) is no help, which means that it is the credited response.
(A) If (A) is true, then bed-smoking fires aren’t likely to cause many fire-related deaths in
the first place. Under these circumstances, a decline in smoking wouldn’t be expected to
result in a corresponding decline in home-fire deaths.
(C) picks up on the scope shift between the first and second sentences: There’s been a
significant decline in cigarette smoking in general, but that doesn’t mean the decline
includes the subset of people who smoke in bed. If (C) is true, we’d expect most of the bedsmokers
to keep on smoking, which would certainly help resolve the apparent
discrepancy.
(D) and (E) both help to resolve the paradox by offering other reasons why deaths from fires
have increased lately. If kitchen fires or greater population densities are responsible for
more home-fire deaths than before, the fact that no decline in fire deaths has accompanied
the decline in cigarette smoking is far less surprising.
• Once again, the wrong choices offer a plethora of alternative explanations (see
section A, Q. 20 for another situation loaded with alternative explanations). After all,
what better way to resolve a paradox than to find a different, unmentioned, and
plausible explanation for the surprising result? Understanding the concept of the
alternative explanation can help you to answer Logical Flaw, Assumption, Paradox,
and even Strengthen/Weaken questions. Make sure you keep this important concept
in the forefront of your mind whenever working on LSAT Logical Reasoning.
• Keep your eyes peeled for scope shifts; sometimes they’re fairly subtle. Bed-smoking
is not the same as cigarette smoking in general. “Home fires” from the first sentence
is not the same as “people killed from home fires” in the second. Understanding
these subtle distinctions when they exist in an argument will help you to assess that
argument correctly and to answer any question the testmakers choose to throw at
you.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

Re: CR : LSAT : Smoking in bed [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 12:21
+1 for A
Re: CR : LSAT : Smoking in bed   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2010, 12:21