Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Smoking, oh its so much fun to quit.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1540 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2007, 13:51
biggamejames wrote:
rhyme wrote:

5 days, 17 hours and 32 minutes, saving 114.62 cigarettes and $43.55.



Woah!

You spend that much on cigs? How much is a pack in Chicago?


$7.50
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2007, 14:31
rhyme wrote:
biggamejames wrote:
rhyme wrote:

5 days, 17 hours and 32 minutes, saving 114.62 cigarettes and $43.55.



Woah!

You spend that much on cigs? How much is a pack in Chicago?


$7.50


WTF? 7.50?!?!?!?! I'd better quit if I get into B-school or I'll struggle to re-pay my student loans... btw, a pack back home is about $1.20 (direct conversion) or roughly $2.5 - 3 in purchasing power parity terms.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1540 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2007, 15:18
lepium wrote:
rhyme wrote:
biggamejames wrote:
rhyme wrote:

5 days, 17 hours and 32 minutes, saving 114.62 cigarettes and $43.55.



Woah!

You spend that much on cigs? How much is a pack in Chicago?


$7.50


WTF? 7.50?!?!?!?! I'd better quit if I get into B-school or I'll struggle to re-pay my student loans... btw, a pack back home is about $1.20 (direct conversion) or roughly $2.5 - 3 in purchasing power parity terms.


LOL

$1.20

BHAHAHAHHAHAHA
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1540 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2007, 16:49
5 days, 21 hours and 45 minutes, saving 118.13 cigarettes and $44.89.

Getting to day 6 is going to rock. I cant wait to make it to day 7. Day 14 is going to be the best cause the two week mark is a big one.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 958
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2007, 17:21
Random story of friend who quit in college: She read somewhere that one of the many reasons it's hard to stop smoking is the "ritual" part of smoking. So this article she was reading suggested that people trying to quit should find a different healthy habit to perform in place of the ritual of lighting up.

So my friend decided every time she felt like a smoke, she would snack on a few baby carrots instead. She kept a bag in her backpack, and her micro-fridge in her dorm was fully stocked. So she was eating tons of carrots all day long.

There is some sort of pigment in carrots that will actually turn your skin darker if you eat enough, you get this golden sort of glow to your skin. And so she was eating tons of carrots and people were saying to her, "Did you go tanning?" She finally made the connection and cut back on the carrots.

So everything in moderation I guess.

The carrots thing didn't actually work, what finally helped her to quit smoking was to take a jar, fill it halfway up with water, then she smoked a couple cigarettes and dumped the ashed in the water, then dropped the finished butts in. After a day of this butts and ashes seeping in the water she forced herself to take a big gulp. After that she wasn't able to smoke a cigarette for months, and was then able to quit. Kind of like kids who drink too much tequila in high school and never touch the stuff again.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 161
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2007, 18:45
johnnyx9 wrote:
Random story of friend who quit in college: She read somewhere that one of the many reasons it's hard to stop smoking is the "ritual" part of smoking. So this article she was reading suggested that people trying to quit should find a different healthy habit to perform in place of the ritual of lighting up.

So my friend decided every time she felt like a smoke, she would snack on a few baby carrots instead. She kept a bag in her backpack, and her micro-fridge in her dorm was fully stocked. So she was eating tons of carrots all day long.

There is some sort of pigment in carrots that will actually turn your skin darker if you eat enough, you get this golden sort of glow to your skin. And so she was eating tons of carrots and people were saying to her, "Did you go tanning?" She finally made the connection and cut back on the carrots.

So everything in moderation I guess.

The carrots thing didn't actually work, what finally helped her to quit smoking was to take a jar, fill it halfway up with water, then she smoked a couple cigarettes and dumped the ashed in the water, then dropped the finished butts in. After a day of this butts and ashes seeping in the water she forced herself to take a big gulp. After that she wasn't able to smoke a cigarette for months, and was then able to quit. Kind of like kids who drink too much tequila in high school and never touch the stuff again.


Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1540 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2007, 19:58
I haven't smoked for 6 days, 53 minutes and 41 seconds, saving 120.74 cigarettes and $45.88.

Image
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 May 2006
Posts: 176
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2007, 20:52
7.50 !!!!!

Damn. That's expensive.

It's been 4 years since I've quit. Still going strong. Once in a blue moon I get the urge to light up (only happens when I'm drinking and I see other people smoking). I don't know how much it costs in CA anymore, but last time I paid 4.50 for a pack. A friend of mine says he pays 5 for 2 pack deals.

I quit cold turkey. I thank God for that. I graduated college without a job (no money) and moved back home and I just quit. Not having a job drove me to quit cigs.

Good luck.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2007, 05:58
Current x-rate makes it about $12/pack here. No wonder they sell them in tens.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 958
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2007, 06:08
3underscore - You're in London right? Wow, that's pretty freakin expensive.

How much does a pint of beer cost at a normal bar/pub in London?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2007, 06:27
It is about £6 for cigarettes. A pint is about £2.80 for bitter of cooking lager, though you can easy shell out £3.50 ($7) in a business part of town.

Start hitting the weissbier, leffe, or fruli (as the lady doth choose) and it is £3.50 standard.

But we don't tip barstaff, which is skant comfort. Well, you sometimes tip barstaff as a strategic move, but very very rarely.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 707
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2007, 06:28
Everything is expensive in London. I went there a couple of summers ago and will not go back again until I'm rich.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 958
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2007, 06:43
What are those "lady" drinks you mentioned, are those like ciders?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2007, 07:38
Fruli is fantastic. It is a weissbier with 30% strawberries. The ladies love it (all of them seem to drink it down at my local). Very nice, but very sweet.

http://www.frulibeer.com/

London isn't cheap, but using dollars works against you. London wage in London isn't so bad, though accomodation and property make NYC look reasonably priced. What would really get you is the surly attitude and the downright miserable weather.

The lady in question above was the good lady / she who must be obeyed / other acronyms. Not a generalisation. I prefer her choosing that to Pimms though, which is far to drinkable, expensive, and normally results in a small scale disaster.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 958
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2007, 08:49
Boston and New York have surly attitudes and miserable weather too.

I'm a whisky man, but if no one is looking I'll have to try that Frulibeer if I ever have the chance.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1540 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2007, 17:02
6 days, 21 hours and 58 minutes, saving 138.31 cigarettes and $52.55.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

coming up to the ONE WEEK MARK

TICK TOCK
TICK TOCK
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1540 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2007, 19:04
Want to go to marlboro country?

Image

I thought not.

Image


1 week and 59 seconds, saving 140.01 cigarettes and $53.20.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 251
Schools: Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2007, 21:15
rhyme wrote:
1 week and 59 seconds, saving 140.01 cigarettes and $53.20.

At this rate, you are gonna end up saving the 100k MBA tuition even before you join school. :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1540 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2007, 04:39
mba07 wrote:
rhyme wrote:
1 week and 59 seconds, saving 140.01 cigarettes and $53.20.

At this rate, you are gonna end up saving the 100k MBA tuition even before you join school. :wink:


LOL.

1 week, 9 hours and 36 minutes, saving 148.00 cigarettes and $56.24.

$3.24 more cents!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2006
Posts: 444
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2007, 04:47
old has gone and new has come!
you are a new man
  [#permalink] 06 Mar 2007, 04:47
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Its making me QUIT SMOKING kulkarnios 3 16 Oct 2013, 07:43
Oh my God. It's Skynet! Anasthaesium 1 18 Aug 2011, 10:00
15 Oh IT/Indian/Male! you are doomed! bigoyal 30 18 Aug 2009, 22:12
Another fun problem.. took me quite some time to figure out vikramm 1 11 Oct 2005, 17:54
Since, we were all having so much fun with inequalities.. I cloaked_vessel 7 14 Apr 2005, 15:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Smoking, oh its so much fun to quit.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9    Next  [ 166 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.