Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 19:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Smoking, oh its so much fun to quit.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1741
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 20:24
rhyme wrote:
jaynayak wrote:
Agree completely with Rhyme...

I quit while back and started again few days ago... I know i should not have.... but this time I am trying to retrain my mind to form new connections.... then I will quit again and retrain the brain again....

Nice way to keep the grey cells functioning.


A few days ago???? Why????

Didja visit whyquit.com and watch the palmolive bottle video?


No ..... it is a lame excuse.....

I still haven't been able to retrain my mind to do anything when I am utterly bored....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1513 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 20:38
jaynayak wrote:
rhyme wrote:
jaynayak wrote:
Agree completely with Rhyme...

I quit while back and started again few days ago... I know i should not have.... but this time I am trying to retrain my mind to form new connections.... then I will quit again and retrain the brain again....

Nice way to keep the grey cells functioning.


A few days ago???? Why????

Didja visit whyquit.com and watch the palmolive bottle video?


No ..... it is a lame excuse.....

I still haven't been able to retrain my mind to do anything when I am utterly bored....


Its a lame excuse all right! But I do understand it. I can appreciate how it happens... If you ever need inspiration to quit, you know where to find it.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1741
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 20:44
thanks .....

No deadlines for me this time..... I just have to try retraining ....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1513 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 20:48
jaynayak wrote:
thanks .....

No deadlines for me this time..... I just have to try retraining ....


If you do try again...

1. Use about.com forums.
2. Get a quit meter. I have a firefox extension called quitomzilla. Watching it tick up is a good motivator.
3. Tell your friends your quitting (the shame of failing if you dont will keep you motivated)
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5253
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2007, 21:43
rhyme wrote:
jaynayak wrote:
thanks .....

No deadlines for me this time..... I just have to try retraining ....


If you do try again...

1. Use about.com forums.
2. Get a quit meter. I have a firefox extension called quitomzilla. Watching it tick up is a good motivator.
3. Tell your friends your quitting (the shame of failing if you dont will keep you motivated)


It also helps to be humiliated. I once saw a guy who was shopping with his kid suddenly get struck with a serious hacking attack. People around him started getting so concerned that one lady even called 911. Eventually his explosive coughing subsided, the guy apologized to the crowd which had gathered around him, admitted that he was a smoker, and pleaded to his crying kid that everything was going to be OK. I would be willing to bet that he quit then and there.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1513 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2007, 08:08
GMATT73 wrote:
rhyme wrote:
jaynayak wrote:
thanks .....

No deadlines for me this time..... I just have to try retraining ....


If you do try again...

1. Use about.com forums.
2. Get a quit meter. I have a firefox extension called quitomzilla. Watching it tick up is a good motivator.
3. Tell your friends your quitting (the shame of failing if you dont will keep you motivated)


It also helps to be humiliated. I once saw a guy who was shopping with his kid suddenly get struck with a serious hacking attack. People around him started getting so concerned that one lady even called 911. Eventually his explosive coughing subsided, the guy apologized to the crowd which had gathered around him, admitted that he was a smoker, and pleaded to his crying kid that everything was going to be OK. I would be willing to bet that he quit then and there.


Yea, thatd probably do it....

2 weeks, 5 days and 14 hours, saving 391.74 cigarettes and $148.86.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1513 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 11:02
2 weeks, 6 days and 16 hours, saving 414.15 cigarettes and $157.37.

coming up on three weeks....
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2006
Posts: 159
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 11:27
rhyme wrote:
2 weeks, 6 days and 16 hours, saving 414.15 cigarettes and $157.37.

coming up on three weeks....


Ok, so when we hang out in Chicago, absolutely no coffee shops or bars. We'll have to stick to walking around Humboldt Park...which actually might be just as bad for your health as smoking :lol:

Seriously, though, keep kickin' ass on this thing. When you've kicked it completely, you can start training for the '07 marathon with me. :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1513 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 15:28
artshep wrote:
rhyme wrote:
2 weeks, 6 days and 16 hours, saving 414.15 cigarettes and $157.37.

coming up on three weeks....


Ok, so when we hang out in Chicago, absolutely no coffee shops or bars. We'll have to stick to walking around Humboldt Park...which actually might be just as bad for your health as smoking :lol:

Seriously, though, keep kickin' ass on this thing. When you've kicked it completely, you can start training for the '07 marathon with me. :)


4 miles on the treadmill today ;)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 166
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 15:45
Are you guys really going to run any road races? I don't mess with marathons because I think I would go too hard and injure my knees.

Assuming I get in to business school, I plan on running some 5K's over the summer after I quit my job.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2006
Posts: 159
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 16:07
I'm definitely running several road races this year.

I'm running the Shamrock Shuffle 8k in Chicago this weekend. Also planning a half marathon in April or May. And finally the Chicago Marathon in October of this year.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 166
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 16:29
I'm running the Shamrock Shuffle this weekend. Last year I wimped out because it was cold and windy and I felt sick.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2006
Posts: 159
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 16:31
Oh, nice! What starting corral are you in?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 166
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 16:44
I put myself in Corral B. I'm not positive, but I think that I could have started in Corral A because I had a decent time in 2004. Which one are you in?

I've been getting back into shape since mid-January. My sense of pace is all off because I haven't been racing, but if I can run somewhere around 7:00-per-mile pace I'll be satisified. I've dropped close to 10 pounds of fat since January and have detected a noticable increase in my endurance.

If I train through the summer, I think I can lose another 10 pounds of fat and get my 5K pace down to around 6:00 per mile pace.
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 657 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 16:49
flapjack wrote:
I put myself in Corral B. I'm not positive, but I think that I could have started in Corral A because I had a decent time in 2004. Which one are you in?

I've been getting back into shape since mid-January. My sense of pace is all off because I haven't been racing, but if I can run somewhere around 7:00-per-mile pace I'll be satisified. I've dropped close to 10 pounds of fat since January and have detected a noticable increase in my endurance.

If I train through the summer, I think I can lose another 10 pounds of fat and get my 5K pace down to around 6:00 per mile pace.


This is inspiring.

How frequently and how long do you run? Also, any special needs as far as diet is concerned?

thanks
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 166
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 16:59
I've just been running on the treadmill after work at my gym. I haven't really even been running that much, but I do run, I run at a fairly quick tempo. I just do around 3.5-4 miles on the treadmill. I've been starting out at around 7:47 for the first mile and then progressively speed up until I'm too out of breath. Last Friday I ran 4.3 miles and did the last 1.3 miles at 6:40 pace. I run outside on the weekends, weather permitting.

I tend to get junk food when I get stressed out, but I've managed to cut back on it quite a bit during the week. I've also been eating a lot of chicken lately and really cut back on regular soda once a week.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2006
Posts: 159
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 16:59
flapjack wrote:
I put myself in Corral B. I'm not positive, but I think that I could have started in Corral A because I had a decent time in 2004. Which one are you in?

I've been getting back into shape since mid-January. My sense of pace is all off because I haven't been racing, but if I can run somewhere around 7:00-per-mile pace I'll be satisified. I've dropped close to 10 pounds of fat since January and have detected a noticable increase in my endurance.

If I train through the summer, I think I can lose another 10 pounds of fat and get my 5K pace down to around 6:00 per mile pace.


Looks like you and I will be neck-and-neck in this race. I'm also in corral B and hoping to run this one under 35 minutes. I'll be the short-ish, meditteranean-looking guy with the soccer legs.

Best of luck. How about running the marathon in October?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 166
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 17:09
Good luck with the race. I'm not sure if I can maintain that pace for an 8K right now, although 35 minutes is my goal.

I'll probably never run a marathon. I prefer 5-10K races. What's your marathon pace?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1513 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2007, 06:38
Image
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1513 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2007, 06:51
3 weeks, 2 days and 12 hours, saving 470.66 cigarettes and $178.85.

Almost at 500 smokes...

Christ I smoked a lot.
  [#permalink] 22 Mar 2007, 06:51
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Its making me QUIT SMOKING kulkarnios 3 16 Oct 2013, 07:43
Oh my God. It's Skynet! Anasthaesium 1 18 Aug 2011, 10:00
15 Oh IT/Indian/Male! you are doomed! bigoyal 30 18 Aug 2009, 22:12
Another fun problem.. took me quite some time to figure out vikramm 1 11 Oct 2005, 17:54
Since, we were all having so much fun with inequalities.. I cloaked_vessel 7 14 Apr 2005, 15:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Smoking, oh its so much fun to quit.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9    Next  [ 166 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.