Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Smoking, oh its so much fun to quit.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1513 [2] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Smoking, oh its so much fun to quit. [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 18:08
This post received
KUDOS
Ah, so let me tell you what its like to quit smoking.

Everything is a trigger. Things that you used to do with smokes you can't do anymore. That means, for instance, you can't drink coffee. Thats a tough one. It also means, that, ideally, you never eat because inevitably, food makes you want a smoke. That, unfortunately, you can't control. You can't drink. You can't hang out. You can't drive your usual route to work. You cant' do anything where you used to smoke or else, the cravings start.

They'll be little pangs of anxiousness at first, then they'll get stronger. Your palms get clammy, your eyes get a little teary and you feel on edge. It's like how you might feel twenty seconds after someone scares the crap of out you - your tense, ready to pounce, a little jittery and a little angry and - if someone does it again - you are likely to snap their head clean off.

Your body starts to feels tingly, and your arms feel out of place. Your anger and frustration begin to mount as you realize this feeling aint going away for a while. You become insanely easy to irritate. Anything - absolutely anything - will set you off. It's your body's way of trying to create a guilt-free pathway to having a smoke. "Oh crap! The font size is wrong! That's it! I'm smoking! I can't deal with this powerpoint crap!". Your coworkers are all idiots.

You tell yourself, you are doing great. After all, nicotine is more addictive than cocaine. It's been proven nicotine provides a higher high and a bigger rush - and cocaine addicts couldn't tell the difference between shooting up cocaine or shooting up nicotine. Wow.

Your remember that nicotine only takes 8 seconds to get to your brain, but it takes 72 hours to get out and for ten seconds, your palms return to normal, your heart rate drops and you feel, for a moment in control.

And so you make it through day 1, but then day 2 comes. It comes again - but stronger this time. It's like someone who was tapping on the door is now kicking it. With a steel boot. You can't ignore it. That's the nicodemon. He's a little guy who sits in your head and !@!# with you for about a week until you become strong enough to rip his little !@(#!(@# testicles off and shove them down his throat.

You make it through day 2, but theres no reprieve. Your pray for sleep, but he's there too. For about two weeks, maybe three or four (as in my first quit two years ago), you will dream of nothing but cigs. Every night. You will dream of Marlboro everything. You will wake up more irritated than that time you thought you slept with Jessica Alba but instead slept in a gutter hugging a dead squirrel.

The next day the coughing starts. Since you sound like you might actually die at any moment, while your lungs scream "WTF" and expel years of smoking goo, you are reminded this is a good idea. You wonder how its possible that blowing your nose produces less goo than coughing. And thats fricking scary. But at least you know your lungs are healing. It'll take another 5 to 10 years before they complete the process, but they do it.

And so, holding a big snot ball in the palm of your hand you think "yea I dont need another one of those." And that makes it through day 3.

You come home that night and notice something odd. Your clothes all smell, well, kinda stale. Like they've been washed but never dried. You figure its just that shirt, so you throw it in the laundry and put on another one. That one smell just as bad. Ok weird. You throw them all in the laundry. You get one when its done and it smells normal. You get into bed. But the bed smells stale. You can't do anything about it now so you spray a little fabreeze around and go to bed. You forget of course that within twenty minutes your nose will be as screwed as Britney spears' career. You spend the rest of the night trying to breath through your mouth, only to wake up with the worlds driest throat - complete with fabreeze taste in your mouth - and an even deeper cough.

And so begins day 4. You are excited because you've made it to the 72 hour mark. All the nicotine is out of your body. By now, the cravings should be gone right? Wrong. You've got about 10 more days to go before they really slow down, and about 24 more before they stop altogether. You mark your calendar, and you count down the hours for each day. One day at a time.

Anyway, sorry, had to get that off my chest.

3 days, 23 hours, 7 minutes, 24 seconds

But whos counting right? :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 18:35
GOOD JOB!!!

You DA MAN!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 19:44
I guess smoking goes along with your "European" mystique.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 1513 [0], given: 7

[#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 20:05
Mark4124 wrote:
I guess smoking goes along with your "European" mystique.

hah.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 20:22
Seemed like all the internationals at Tufts smoked.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 20:43
Well, if I'm not mistaken both Italy and Spain have the highest tobacco smoking rates in the world (but my source on this is mostly urban legend, I could be wrong). Alitalia, Italy's flag carrier, was the last airline to completely ban smoking from its flights. They did a last minute change on the previous agreement with the other airlines and kept on offering smoking seats for an extra year.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 23:45
whats up rhyme! it's WBF aka FLS, your ex marlboro lights buddy.

count me in... i just started the quest. thanks for the link to the great website.

you can do it!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2007, 06:19
Smoking sucks man. Hang in there, you can definitely make it!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2007, 07:00
I haven't smoked for 4 days, 12 hours and 1 minute, saving 90.02 cigarettes and $31.50.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2007, 07:05
WBF wrote:
whats up rhyme! it's WBF aka FLS, your ex marlboro lights buddy.

count me in... i just started the quest. thanks for the link to the great website.

you can do it!

Seriously? You are gonna quit? If you are, talk to me first. There are a lot of things that you can do to make it easier. Not that its easy.

For starters, use firefox, and download this:

http://www.quitometro.org/quitomzilla_en.php
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2007, 07:36
<--- quit cold turkey - took about 4 years of trying to quit to finally get it done.

I hear you rhyme, it is hard - but it is the right thing to do and eventually your health and your wallet will thank you.

Best of luck

Just remember - when the cravings come fight them and they will pass. Sometime they last for just a second, sometimes they last for 30 minutes - but they always pass.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2007, 08:49
quitin's easy. Ive done it 20 times. Seriously, I smoked for 14 years before I quit last year. Haven't had a smoke in over a year. I feel like a new man. And honestly, cigarettes at this point disgust me. The hardest part is the first month because there are so many triggers, food, alcohol, sex, stress. I went cold turkey myself. it can be done. I think my impetus to quit was seeing all these old secretaries at work taking a smoke break and suckin down that cig like it was the last one on earth. They all had this leathery gray look. I didn't want to end up like that. The smoking ban in bars has also been tremendously helpful.

Also search the web for "the smokers body"
Once you come across it, you'll want to drop that cig you're smokin.
Rhyme, use that pic as your avatar :)
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2007, 14:20
You're a rock star. Keep it up.

And continue to write insanely long irreverant posts. We all need to keep our minds off certain deadlines...and you obviously need the outlet!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2007, 14:25
aaudetat wrote:
You're a rock star. Keep it up.

And continue to write insanely long irreverant posts. We all need to keep our minds off certain deadlines...and you obviously need the outlet!

Done:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=42814

That'll make ya scratch yer noggin.

4 days, 19 hours and 22 minutes, saving 96.14 cigarettes and $33.65.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2007, 16:47
sujith wrote:

edit by rhyme: Link above is not safe for work, contains disturbing image.

That is seriously one sick pic!
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2007, 12:26
I can totally understand what you are going through.....

It must be tough keeping your mind on the road these days isn't it. Behind the wheels is one place where it hurts most after you have quit.

But hang on there buddy..... everyday is a struggle but you try to find ways around.......

Good luck
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2007, 12:35
jaynayak wrote:
I can totally understand what you are going through.....

It must be tough keeping your mind on the road these days isn't it. Behind the wheels is one place where it hurts most after you have quit.

But hang on there buddy..... everyday is a struggle but you try to find ways around.......

Good luck

Today was not a good day... at least not so far. I left to run an errand and got really pissed when the store was closed. Walked to another store, it was also closed. Another two stores I walked to were also closed. This is life testing me. I come home angry and the dog needs to go out. I take him out and freeze some more but he wont go. I walk him around the block again. Still wont go. I'm ready to kill someone by now. I come back to the house and scream my head off for a good ten minutes. Obscenity central. I eat a bowl of cereal. I scream some more.

Sigh

5 days, 17 hours and 32 minutes, saving 114.62 cigarettes and $43.55.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2007, 12:56
Quote:

Today was not a good day... at least not so far. I left to run an errand and got really pissed when the store was closed. Walked to another store, it was also closed. Another two stores I walked to were also closed. This is life testing me. I come home angry and the dog needs to go out. I take him out and freeze some more but he wont go. I walk him around the block again. Still wont go. I'm ready to kill someone by now. I come back to the house and scream my head off for a good ten minutes. Obscenity central. I eat a bowl of cereal. I scream some more.

Sigh

avoid shortening your life by at leat 300 minutes.

I did something similar (sort of). I withstood the temptation of eating fries...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2007, 12:58
died4me wrote:
Quote:

Sigh

avoid shortening your life by at leat 300 minutes.

I did something similar (sort of). I withstood the temptation of eating fries...

LOL.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 81,00.html
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2007, 13:11
rhyme wrote:

Woah!

You spend that much on cigs? How much is a pack in Chicago?
  [#permalink] 04 Mar 2007, 13:11