Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SMU vs UC Irvine MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

SMU vs UC Irvine MBA? [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 05:36
Hi guys :-D ,

I'm currently stuck on choosing between SMU COX and UC Irvine. Hope I could get some suggestions from you guys. Many thanks!

I'm an international applicant with electronic engineering background. SMU has a very strong connection in DFW area, which should be a plus. However, the employment rate of SMU MBA is surprisingly low these years. I also heard that the career service there is just average. That makes me really confused. Maybe UCI is better at job placement. :?: I know there must be lots of hi-tech job opportunities in Socal, but several more competitive schools like USC, UCLA, UC DAVIS are located nearby. :shock:

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Merry Christmas to all of you!!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 411 [1] , given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: SMU vs UC Irvine MBA? [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 06:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Congratulations on getting into both schools!!

Where do you want to be located long-term? SMU is great for the DFW area, and UCI is great for Southern California. It will be more difficult, but probably not impossible, to get to Southern California from SMU and vice versa.

Based on your post, I assume you want to stay in electronic engineering, or something similar. I don't know much about hiring in DFW except that there are definitely jobs there, but the Irvine area has more hi-tech/engineering jobs than you could ask for. Yes, USC and UCLA are nearby too (UC Davis recruits more into San Francisco, which is pretty far from Irvine); UC San Diego is relatively close by as well. However, the Irvine area is an up-and-coming Silicon Valley of sorts -- many many tech companies are in the area, including Google, Oracle, Kingston, etc etc. Hyundai (if you want to focus in electronic engineering in the auto industry) also has its headquarters nearby -- and they do recruit from UCI.

Hope that helps! Sorry this is more of a one-sided post, but you'll have great options no matter where you go.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: SMU vs UC Irvine MBA? [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 07:26
:o Aerien: Thank you so much for sharing your thought. Very helpful.

Either Souther California or DFW would make a optimal location for my future working and living. That's probably why I cannot decide which school could be a better option. SMU could offer me the chances to get into EE companies including Samsung, Ericsson and TI. But I guess SoCal does have more hi-tech job opportunities than DFW does, like you said.

Thanks again.

aerien wrote:
Congratulations on getting into both schools!!

Where do you want to be located long-term? SMU is great for the DFW area, and UCI is great for Southern California. It will be more difficult, but probably not impossible, to get to Southern California from SMU and vice versa.

Based on your post, I assume you want to stay in electronic engineering, or something similar. I don't know much about hiring in DFW except that there are definitely jobs there, but the Irvine area has more hi-tech/engineering jobs than you could ask for. Yes, USC and UCLA are nearby too (UC Davis recruits more into San Francisco, which is pretty far from Irvine); UC San Diego is relatively close by as well. However, the Irvine area is an up-and-coming Silicon Valley of sorts -- many many tech companies are in the area, including Google, Oracle, Kingston, etc etc. Hyundai (if you want to focus in electronic engineering in the auto industry) also has its headquarters nearby -- and they do recruit from UCI.

Hope that helps! Sorry this is more of a one-sided post, but you'll have great options no matter where you go.
Re: SMU vs UC Irvine MBA?   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2012, 07:26