Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

So, about the school application and GMAT score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 12-03-2013
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

So, about the school application and GMAT score [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2013, 06:25
Hi everyone, just sign up for the forum,
First I want to say hi
Then I hope someone will be able to help me with my question:
When I read any admission site for any "great" MBA program school, they all say the same thing: "Your GMAT score is just one of the criteria we assess you on. A below-average score doesn't automatically rule you out."
I am just wondering: anyone who have had a below average score got accepted to one of the quote on quote Elite MBA program?
From what I understand, that GMAT score is an important indicator for MBA program acceptance, I have talk to few applicants, that a 400 percentile will not get you anywhere, regardless your experience.

thanks

cc
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.1
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 17

Re: So, about the school application and GMAT score [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2013, 07:08
http://gmatclub.com/forum/profiles-admitted-to-top-b-schools-w-low-gmat-or-low-gpa-73999.html

Check out this link. It has 9 pages full of what you are asking about. There are plenty of examples of people getting accepted to great schools with "low" GMAT scores or GPAs. Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 2

Re: So, about the school application and GMAT score [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2013, 21:59
chinesecook wrote:
Hi everyone, just sign up for the forum,
First I want to say hi
Then I hope someone will be able to help me with my question:
When I read any admission site for any "great" MBA program school, they all say the same thing: "Your GMAT score is just one of the criteria we assess you on. A below-average score doesn't automatically rule you out."
I am just wondering: anyone who have had a below average score got accepted to one of the quote on quote Elite MBA program?
From what I understand, that GMAT score is an important indicator for MBA program acceptance, I have talk to few applicants, that a 400 percentile will not get you anywhere, regardless your experience.

thanks

cc

Your GMAT score is one of the criteria that AdComs use to evaluate your candidature - but it is definitely an important one. So what do AdComs look for?
1. Academic potential - will you be able to cope with the rigor of the program?
2. Leadership and diversity - do you have it in you to do great things?
3. Employability - after your MBA, will the school be able to assist you in achieving the goals you have mentioned?
Very clearly, your GMAT score falls under #1. Here's a more detailed article on what AdComs look for in MBA applicants: http://www.crackverbal.com/6-traits-top ... potential/

So how low can you go with your GMAT score, and still stand a chance of getting into your target B-school? Here's a thumb rule:

If the average GMAT score at the B-school is 650, and you have scored more than this, then you don't have to worry about your score at all. In fact, the higher your GMAT score is compared to the school's average, the better your chances are, w.r.t. this factor. The school is a 'safe' option for you.

If you have scored within 20 points of the average of the school (in this case, 630 - 650), you are in their ballpark range, but you need to put in a strong application to highlight other ways in which you are the right fit for the school. The school is still within your reach.

If your GMAT score is more than 30 points less than the school's average (620 or lower in this case), it is a bit of a stretch. Your profile needs to be really strong for the school to consider your application seriously.

So, keep these points in mind while shortlisting your target schools.
Cheers.

Gowri N Kishore
Admissions Consultant

If you find our response valuable, please encourage us with Kudos!

Aiming for 40+ in Verbal? Attend our 2-Day Verbal Score Booster Workshop!
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/advanced-verbal-workshop-bangalore

Get a FREE profile evaluation from CrackVerbal experts!
http://applications.crackverbal.com/free-resources/profile-evaluation/

Re: So, about the school application and GMAT score   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2013, 21:59