Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

So dogged were Frances Perkins investigations of the garment

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

So dogged were Frances Perkins investigations of the garment [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2004, 04:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
So dogged were Frances Perkins’ investigations of the garment industry, and her lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent, Alfred E. Smith and Franklin D. Roosevelt recruited Perkins to work within the government, rather than as a social worker.

1)and her lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent,
2)and lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent, so that
3)her lobbying for wage and hour reform persistent, that
4)lobbying for wage and hour reform was so persistent,
5)so persistent her lobbying for wage and hour reform, that
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2004, 05:40
I am with E on this one.

So dogged were Francis Investigations....So persistent her lobbying..., that..

sounds ||
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2004, 05:46
I did not choose E as so is back (that's good !) but there is no verb to have a perfect //ism...
I am still puzzled...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2004, 06:18
Yes, verb missing in E because what comes b/w the comma is meant to be an appositive phrase(gives additional information, emphasis to "Perkin's investigations"). You don't need to repeat "so" and parallelism is not the issue here. C for me.

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2004, 07:33
Frankly I was contemplating C and E. My opinion is that this question is not GMAT Quality.

In C, it would have been more right if there was a 'and' before her. otherwise it sounds awkward. E is no good either, it sounded better than C though. Is 'lobbying' not a verb?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2004, 20:04
Paul wrote:
Yes, verb missing in E because what comes b/w the comma is meant to be an appositive phrase(gives additional information, emphasis to "Perkin's investigations"). You don't need to repeat "so" and parallelism is not the issue here. C for me.
For that matter, I think a verb i smissing in C too. (HER lobbying in C is a gerund). I would choose E assuming that the missing verb is ellipsis. like in "Roses were red, voilets blue". :-D

E.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2004, 11:32
Hardworker,

What is the difference between lobbying in C & E ? I thought there were 2 gerunds.

The more I read, the more I think what is wrong in C is the place of "persistent". Any opinion ?

Btw what's the OA ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2004, 12:56
hardworker_indian wrote:
Paul wrote:
For that matter, I think a verb i smissing in C too. (HER lobbying in C is a gerund). I would choose E assuming that the missing verb is ellipsis. like in "Roses were red, voilets blue". :-D

E.

a verb is not needed in an appositive construction. Here is an example

ie So sensational was her performance, her choreography and singing intense, that it is now recounted in every newspaper article of the city.

In red is an appositive phrase that gives an emphasis to the immediately preceding noun "performance". No verb is needed and no verb should be there either. This is grammatically correctly correct. In the same way, the original appositive "her lobbying for wage and hour reform persistent" serves as an appositive to "investigations of the garment industry". Here is a link to appositive phrases explanations:
http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/phra ... appositive

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2004, 15:54
Paul,
At the end, I will ask a big apology for fighting, if I am wrong. :wink: :lol: This is why I choose E:

Standard:
In general, for an appositive, sentences built in both ways should make sense. Example:
Combined: My father, that tall man over there, always votes Republican (makes sense)
Noun format: My father always votes Republican (makes sense)
Appositive: That tall man over there always votes Republican (makes sense)

Lets first take C.
Combined: So dogged were Frances Perkins’ investigations of the garment industry, her lobbying for wage and hour reform persistent, that Alfred E. Smith and Franklin D. Roosevelt recruited Perkins to work within the government, rather than as a social worker. (not sure)
Noun: So dogged were Frances Perkins’ investigations of the garment industry, that Alfred E. Smith and Franklin D. Roosevelt recruited Perkins to work within the government, rather than as a social worker. (makes sense)
Appositive: Her lobbying for wage and hour reform persistent, that Alfred E. Smith and Franklin D. Roosevelt recruited Perkins to work within the government, rather than as a social worker. (Does not make sense. Problem1: 'that' is missing a valid counterpart like 'so' in the start of the sentence. Problem 2: Verb is missing)

Lets next take E.
Combined: So dogged were Frances Perkins’ investigations of the garment industry, so persistent her lobbying for wage and hour reform, that Alfred E. Smith and Franklin D. Roosevelt recruited Perkins to work within the government, rather than as a social worker. (Not Sure).
Noun: So dogged were Frances Perkins’ investigations of the garment industry, that Alfred E. Smith and Franklin D. Roosevelt recruited Perkins to work within the government, rather than as a social worker. (Makes Sense).
Appositive: So persistent her lobbying for wage and hour reform, that Alfred E. Smith and Franklin D. Roosevelt recruited Perkins to work within the government, rather than as a social worker. (Problem: Verb is missing. But advantage: 'So' is present along with 'that' - makes sense.).

The only problem in E is the missing verb. Whereas C has two problems - additionally that of a missing so.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2004, 16:17
Appositive can be a noun, phrase or clause. There is some extra help here.
http://community-2.webtv.net/SOLIS-BOO/ ... age16.html

twixt wrote:
Hardworker,
What is the difference between lobbying in C & E ? I thought there were 2 gerunds.

Yes, I think both are gerunds.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2004, 12:31
Well.. so whats the consensus...

I dont think its possible to have an OA, because I faced this question on the actual test on Saturday ... amazing memory for someone to have accurately reproduced an actual test question
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: So...that [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2004, 04:51
linker wrote:
So dogged were Frances Perkins’ investigations of the garment industry, and her lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent, Alfred E. Smith and Franklin D. Roosevelt recruited Perkins to work within the government, rather than as a social worker.

1)and her lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent,
2)and lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent, so that
3)her lobbying for wage and hour reform persistent, that
4)lobbying for wage and hour reform was so persistent,
5)so persistent her lobbying for wage and hour reform, that

I will go for an E..what's the OA ?
Reason :
So dogged..So persistent...with a preposition used appropriately where is the problem ??

C : wage and labour reform was persistent ... there is a difference of degree... "so" is missing to resounding effect.
So good was he at singing , so mediocre at dance , that.. any conlusion after this can't be justified by either part cuz there is a difference in degree.

Franky
http://franky4gmat.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2004, 01:00
Hey does anyone have any official answer for this one.....

I find this question quite tricky......

Could eliminate A, C, D......

Came down to B and E......

E sounds better to me....with a missing verb - which is better than the 2 errors of B......

So E is my answer.....anyone ? I am also thiking along the lines of hardworker_indian's thinking (posted above)
  [#permalink] 05 Dec 2004, 01:00