Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4798 [315]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [139]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [79]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1952 [31]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: So dogged were Frances Perkin's investigations of the garment industry [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Like many SC Q's this is a direct pick up from NY Times

https://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A965958260

E is correct.

As goalsnr said, So X, So Y that Z is perfectly correct. Other wise NY Times would not use it.
General Discussion
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [17]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Re: So dogged were Frances Perkin's investigations of the garment industry [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I hear you, vwjetty - but actually this is a fairly common GMAT tactic to frustrate you exactly the way that it did.

Your job on this test is to eliminate the big-picture, common errors (like needing the word "that" to complete the structure "X was so _____ THAT Y happened"), and in order to do so to avoid the temptation to eliminate things just because "they're awkward" or "I would never write it that way".

One way that I've seen them do it a lot is to use "flowery" writing when a sentence is about something historical - they sort of "wax poetic" in a way, which is a valid method of writing in that context. But things like double-negatives (x was not unlike y) drive GMAT students absolutely crazy. Keep in mind that your toolkit for SC questions is composed mainly of:

Subject-Verb Agreement
Verb Tense
Pronoun Agreement
Logical Connectors (like "that" in this case) necessary for sentence structure
Parallelism
Modifiers
Logical Validity (does the sentence even make sense)

Use those tools before you ever worry about awkwardness or "how I'd write it" - if every correct answer were in the form that most of us would write it, it would be too easy a test. Embrace the difficulty - you know better than to worry about awkwardness at first, and that's your competitive advantage over other test-takers who haven't yet found GMATClub and other resources!
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [5]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Actually, let me tack on to that just one more point:

I was having lunch with one of our all-time great instructors, Chris, in New York and he mentioned something to the extent that:

Quote:
Taking the official practice tests, I learn a bunch of idioms that I never would have thought would be correct.

Now, what he meant by that was that:

1) Even a guy who has multiple 760+ scores under his belt and who has taught the GMAT for 6 years still doesn't know all the idioms that the GMAT tests.
2) Many of those idioms don't pass the "feel" test - they don't feel correct but they're grammatically acceptable...and that's why the GMAT loves them
3) By using the big-picture strategy he can avoid having to know all of those little things and actually appreciate how awkward those idioms are in that "wow, I never would have picked this answer choice up front but clearly it's right because process-of-elimination shows fatal flaws in the others" way.

So, again, you'll have to learn to sift through some awkwardly-phrased sentences to do well on this test, but know that the bigger guiding principles are your keys to success.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1033 [19]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
So dogged were Frances Perkins’ investigations of the garment industry, and her lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent, Alfred E. Smith and Franklin D. Roosevelt recruited Perkins to work within the government, rather than as a social worker.

A. and her lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent,
B. and lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent, so that
C. her lobbying for wage and hour reform persistent, that
D. lobbying for wage and hour reform was so persistent,
E. so persistent her lobbying for wage and hour reform, that

I think this one of the weird GMAT prep questions... no good explanations in any of the forums... if some one can really go on and dissect it rather than just telling E looks better parallel than others , than KUDOS are waiting for him

My question is what is take away from this question. any similar examples.
Do we not need the 'AND' before second SO.
Do we not need the verb in construction E (is ellipses work here..can some one so another example )
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4889 [12]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
So dogged were Frances Perkins’ investigations of the garment industry, and her lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent, Alfred E. Smith and Franklin D. Roosevelt recruited Perkins to work within the government, rather than as a social worker.

The sentence begins with "So dogged" so we have to complete the idiom with "that": A and D are out.
The right idiom is "so (...) that" not "so (...) so that" as B writes: out B.
Between C and E, I'm afraid to say but it is a parallel problem: the sentence begins with so+adjective E begins with so+adjective, and then copies the entire structure.

E. so persistent(adjective) her lobbying for wage and hour reform, that
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32859 [3]
Given Kudos: 4452
Send PM
Kudos
sujit2k7 wrote:
I think this one of the weird GMAT prep questions... no good explanations in any of the forums... if some one can really go on and dissect it rather than just telling E looks better parallel than others , than KUDOS are waiting for him

My question is what is take away from this question. any similar examples.
Do we not need the 'AND' before second SO.
Do we not need the verb in construction E (is ellipses work here..can some one so another example )

This sentence is not neither weird nor strange....is only tough. That's it

When a sentence is tough, forget about grammar rules and go straight to the meaning....the only way to overcome the situation and not get lost.

here after comma si not possible to have straight the subject because this not conveyed the sense of the sentence....you need something that relate the first part with the second part.

So you have to use or so that, that or that. B C and E

So that is wrong ...... quite clear. it is weird

her lobbying...........doesnt have any sense

So persistent ............correct because clearly it refers to Perkins.........

E is the best
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1033 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Kudos
but choice E does not have a Verb in it. I discarded it in the first place when i checked So X, So Y, that Z construction.
Can u please help me
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
sujit2k7 wrote:
but choice E does not have a Verb in it. I discarded it in the first place when i checked So X, So Y, that Z construction.
Can u please help me

Very nice question!.

First, the author used INVERSION construction. You can simply understand the structure is So X, so Y, and X & Y are two clauses. Nope. This is only one sentence. The second part is an absolute construction.

According to Wikipedia:

"In linguistics, an absolute construction is a grammatical construction standing apart from a normal or usual syntactical relation with other words or sentence elements. It can be a non-finite clause that is subordinate in form and modifies an entire sentence, an adjective or possessive pronoun standing alone without a modified substantive, or a transitive verb when its object is implied but not stated.The term absolute derives from Latin absolūtum, meaning "loosened from" or "separated".

Because the non-finite clause, called the absolute clause (or simply the absolute), is not semantically attached to any single element in the sentence, it is easily confused with a dangling participle. The difference is that the participial phrase of a dangling participle is intended to modify a particular noun, but is instead erroneously attached to a different noun, whereas a participial phrase serving as an absolute clause is not intended to modify any noun at all."

Does it help you?.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [5]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
goalsnr wrote:
So dogged were Frances Perkins’ investigations of the garment industry, and her
lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent,
Alfred E. Smith and Franklin D.
Roosevelt recruited Perkins to work within the government, rather than as a social
worker.
2 Parallel Sentences here to be checked...
So dogged were Frances Perkins’ investigations of the garment industry that Alfred E. Smith and Franklin D. Roosevelt .......
So persistent was her lobbying for wage and hour reform that Alfred E. Smith and Franklin D. Roosevelt .......
Here both colored portion are parallel and correct sentences independently.

Here the sentences are joined, but second parallel structure is joined in. But the second parallel structure has been converted to a Absolute phrase by deleting the verb(was) from second sentence.
So dogged were Frances Perkins’ investigations of the garment industry, so persistent was her lobbying for wage and hour reform, that Alfred E. Smith and Franklin D.
Roosevelt recruited ....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 183
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Very informational post by e-GMAT! :)
I almost took a little over 2 minutes (30 seconds to choose between C and E) and arrived at E only due to parallelism.
C is in active voice and E is in the same voice as the clause before the underlined part.
Is is safe to assume that this is a 700+ question? I have hardly observed such ellipsis at play questions on the mocks that I have given
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [3]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos