Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 22:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

So So GPA and left Big 4...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

So So GPA and left Big 4... [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 07:39
27/M/African American with CPA

Currently I am a financial analyst at a medium sized company and have regularly gotten high ratings. I stayed at a Big 4 firm for 1 year (actually 9 months) and absolutely hated it and left.

GMAT: 730

Northern Illinois University: 3.25/4.0 GPA with 3.95/4.0 in major (3.25 is a result of premed classes at different school while playing college football, A's in nearly all finance and accounting classes)

Started online network/forum for accounting and finance career advancement and help (site makes significant profit also). I started tutoring services for kids needing help with accounting (all free) and volunteer with inner city kids helping one get to and through college.

I have ran a probono social media marketing firm for nonprofit organizations (They will be my letters of recommendation)

Any top 25 but specifically Ross, Farqua, Stern, Booth, Kelley would be great (#1 is Ross) and looking to apply R1 2015

I want to use the MBA as a career change into a brand management role with the long term goal of starting a hands on charity helping inner city kids get motivated for college.

My concern would be that I left Big 4 and now my job doesn't scream out "prestigious", not that a Big 4 job did. My overall GPA also isn't amazing by any means. I think my strengths will be things I did outside of work with charities. What do you guys think?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 560 [0], given: 30

Re: So So GPA and left Big 4... [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 01:55
Expert's post
Hey dude,
Weeeeeeell your GPA is not all thaaaaaaat bad. I'd even say its pretty darn good - good enough that you don't have to worry about it. Plus you have TONS of other awesome stuff in your profile - like your GMAT! You have some nice volunteer work, a successful entrepreneurial venture are an African-american, and have very interesting goals. So there's plenty going for you here. I need a wee bit more info about your current work experience to get a better sense of what you do, but first the fact that you got a job at a big 4 is good, and the fact that you left cause you realized you wanted something else, even better. I mean you are following your path right???

I feel that much of your candidacy will hinge upon how convincing you are with your goals - they aaaaare interesting - but how CONCRETE are they? how linked to your past are they? how passionate are you?? All of these will be important as you apply.

I also don't know exactly what your criteria are for selecting your schools. I feel like your list is off to a good start, but you could add a few more of the schools that are traditionally strong in non-profit, like Haas, Kellogg, Yale and so on.

Two resources for you that might help out: http://www.beyondgreypinstripes.org/

and the Consortium: http://www.cgsm.org/

hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: So So GPA and left Big 4... [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 08:27
Thanks for your input Jon. I am 100% committed to this and my background I think will show it. As for what I do now, I'm in a FP&A role that's a bit more weighted toward accounting.

Do you think I'd be competitive for those schools? I'd love Yale or Northwestern but just wasn't sure if I was competitive.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 560 [0], given: 30

Re: So So GPA and left Big 4... [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2014, 23:21
Expert's post
btsellers13 wrote:
Thanks for your input Jon. I am 100% committed to this and my background I think will show it. As for what I do now, I'm in a FP&A role that's a bit more weighted toward accounting.

Do you think I'd be competitive for those schools? I'd love Yale or Northwestern but just wasn't sure if I was competitive.

I think you should have at least a shot, and should definitely consider adding them to your list.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!