Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

So So GPA and left Big 4...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

So So GPA and left Big 4... [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 07:53
27/M/African American with CPA

Currently I am a financial analyst at a medium sized company and have regularly gotten high ratings. I stayed at a Big 4 firm for 1 year (actually 9 months) and absolutely hated it and left.

GMAT: 730

Northern Illinois University: 3.25/4.0 GPA with 3.95/4.0 in major (3.25 is a result of premed classes at different school while playing college football, A's in nearly all finance and accounting classes)

Started online network/forum for accounting and finance career advancement and help (site makes significant profit also). I started tutoring services for kids needing help with accounting (all free) and volunteer with inner city kids helping one get to and through college.

I have ran a probono social media marketing firm for nonprofit organizations (They will be my letters of recommendation)

Any top 25 but specifically Ross, Farqua, Stern, Booth, Kelley would be great (#1 is Ross) and looking to apply R1 2015

I want to use the MBA as a career change into a brand management role with the long term goal of starting a hands on charity helping inner city kids get motivated for college.

My concern would be that I left Big 4 and now my job doesn't scream out "prestigious", not that a Big 4 job did. My overall GPA also isn't amazing by any means. I think my strengths will be things I did outside of work with charities. What do you guys thin
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: So So GPA and left Big 4... [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2014, 23:06
If your GPA isn’t amazing, it is not bad by any means.Plus you have a good reasons for the low GPA. The A’s in finance and accounting courses is a definite plus point. All this in addition to your GMAT score can definitely help you get an admit in any top 10 school. The brand of a Big4 company definitely helps your profile, but nothing matters more than leadership experience. The work you have done after your after quitting your initial job has been amazing and also highlights leadership qualities in you. The leadership roles, in the community service you have done, will give a big boost to your profile. Another advantage is that you have a definite post-mba goal. Overall, your profile looks very strong for any of the top 10 schools. You should start working on your application and apply in R1 next year. For any help in this regard, click on the following link. http://www.interviewbay.com/blog/6-comp ... pplication

Get your application reviewed by alumni of your target business schools.

Good Luck!
www.interviewbay.com
Re: So So GPA and left Big 4...   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2014, 23:06