Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 11:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

So what are you doing / did you do to strenghten ECs?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

So what are you doing / did you do to strenghten ECs? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 08:53
Hello all,

I am going to be applying for Fall '09 admission, and have a few questions -

I do not have great Extracurriculars outside my personal hobbies, and some youth coaching. While I really have a desire to contribute to the community, I'm not really sure what to do to highlight my leadership abilities for B-school in a way that does not appear rushed.

It seems like many of the top programs really value experiences outside of work/academia.

What are some things you guys (admitted, applying, and other) have done to help create opportunites to prove yourself not only as a contributor, but as a leader in the community? And how have these activities translated/been received at the MBA level, both in applications and intereviews?

I hope we can get some valuable converstation going here, I am sure (at least, I hope!) I am not the only one facing this issue for the upcoming Fall '09 apps.

The main thing I am looking into is getting activiley involved with my undergrad alumni program, and continuing my youth sports coaching, but I would love some other opportunites to look into.

Thanks! :)

~Sam
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

Re: So what are you doing / did you do to strenghten ECs? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 12:12
to be frank, i did nothing extra beyond what i was already doing. I was a late applicant (started mid-october) do didn`t have the time to do anything extra. Tbh, i probably wouldn`t have done anything extra anyway. If it doesn`t interest tme, then i won`t pay lip service to it just to add to my `potential` of getting into a school because it goes against my nature. Accept me for who i am and let me evolve. I won`t bend over backwards to do something i`m not particularly interested in and eat up my spare time.
Director
Director

Re: So what are you doing / did you do to strenghten ECs? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 12:25
I meant mostly doing things that interest you as well.

My catalyst for doing Youth Coaching was because it was a quick Extra Curricular, but after starting, I realized quickly I would do it regardless of whether I was going to Bschool or not.

Didn't mean to imply "what did everyone do to make it look like you actually care", I meant more what did everyone do, that brought them satisfaction, and also helped your candidacy.

Thanks!

~Sam
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

Re: So what are you doing / did you do to strenghten ECs? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 12:28
If you enjoy it and it`s something you want to do... Go ahead :) in fact you can try to track down schools that have clubs with social clubs which are similar to your interested to try to emphasise fit.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: So what are you doing / did you do to strenghten ECs? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 12:54
Launched getoffthebottle.org - an environmnetal awareness (bottled water specifically) non-profit organization. I am interested in entrepreneur/sustainability concentrations, but I did it for me (ok, and mama earth) - not for schools I'm applying to!

Check it out - and buy a shirt! :lol:

getoffthebottle.org
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: So what are you doing / did you do to strenghten ECs? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 22:04
Last year, I strengthened my extracurricular profile by volunteering as a pace leader for a marathon training group. Basically, every Wednesday and Saturday for 6-7 months I coached runners and helped them realize their marathon goals.

Strengthened my extracurricular profile, kept me in shape, enabled me to meet new people AND provided good leadership examples outside of work for my essays.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 14

Re: So what are you doing / did you do to strenghten ECs? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 22:15
no wonder you look so in shape! :)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: So what are you doing / did you do to strenghten ECs? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2008, 10:02
For 2008, I want to accomplish the standing split. Right now, my leg is just past parallel to the ground. I've got a ways to go.
Attachments

standing_split_embarcadero-312x419.jpg
standing_split_embarcadero-312x419.jpg [ 24.7 KiB | Viewed 1002 times ]

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

Re: So what are you doing / did you do to strenghten ECs? [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2008, 15:27
Found this thread from a few months back - am still curious, what are others doing to strengthen EC? Am especially interested in hearing about those of you with travel-heavy jobs (e.g. you're out of town 3-4 days/week) do...

I have recently started volunteering at the local affiliate of the Komen foundation, plan to walk in the Race for the Cure, etc. I'm really worried that this won't be enough as I'll have only started it a few months back (Jan)....thoughts?

thanks for your input,
ac.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 14

Re: So what are you doing / did you do to strenghten ECs? [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2008, 19:08
mba2010 wrote:
For 2008, I want to accomplish the standing split. Right now, my leg is just past parallel to the ground. I've got a ways to go.

I'd LOVE to see you do that, mba2010! :P

you joining us for the SF/Berkeley GMATClubber meet on May 2nd, Friday night?

K

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: So what are you doing / did you do to strenghten ECs? [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2008, 12:22
When it came to packaging my application, I realized that my strongest ECs were work-related. Maybe you run a football pool? You're the ringleader of the Thursday after work drink social? Organized a company picnic or baseball game?

ECs don't always have to be external, or involve the underpriviledged. I bet there are a lot of things we do to make our work lives more fun, and those can sometimes count.
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

Re: So what are you doing / did you do to strenghten ECs? [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2008, 15:21
I haven't done anything exceptional to strengthen ECs..I just continued to take opportunities that I would have taken regardless of b-school apps. Maybe I could do more, but I feel like adcoms can tell when you're doing an EC just to improve a resume.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

Re: So what are you doing / did you do to strenghten ECs? [#permalink] New post 01 May 2008, 04:04
Thanks all for your input!! I guess at the end, it's more important to be part of something that you really wanted to do - not just something for the adcoms. Work related EC activities are definitely a good idea - I already do those and didn't realize they could be considered on the apps!
cheers,
ac.
Director
Director

Re: So what are you doing / did you do to strenghten ECs? [#permalink] New post 01 May 2008, 04:38
I think this is an important point...

Don't do stuff that doesn't interest you. ECs should be enjoyable, and worthwhile. For me, the bschool process has motivated me to find such activities that I enjoy and to get involved. A slight push in the right direction.

~Sam
Re: So what are you doing / did you do to strenghten ECs?   [#permalink] 01 May 2008, 04:38