Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 19:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

So WHO is the Authority on rankings?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Which Rankings do you follow?

• 21% [7]
  • 53% [17]
  • 0% [0]
  • 9% [3]
  • 15% [5]
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
So WHO is the Authority on rankings? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2006, 02:02
Which do you follow?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2006, 02:57
You know, I was going to vote for BW, but honestly any ranking that does not have Harvard, Stanford & Wharton as the top 3 (in some order) is just kidding themselves; so I went with the US News Rankings. The top 7 in US News jives with Hjort's definition of the ultra-elite cluster and I agree with that. US News also has Berkeley tied at 7, with Dartmouth next after that and I agree that those are the 2 schools most likely to put upward pressure on the ultra-elite schools. I guess I'd put Michigan right there as well.

I just can't agree with BW putting Stanford at 6. Also, I support the idea that Chicago is one of the very best and has been doing a great job improving every aspect of its program. But seriously, it just doesn't pass the smell test to have Chicago (or Northwestern) ranked above Harvard. In terms of selectivity, access to jobs, over reputation, and I'm certain future reputation for the duration of your career, international presence, size and influence of the alumni base, and on, and on, and on, you just cannot go against Harvard. (Note: I'm not saying there's no reason for an individual to select Chicago over Harvard; it just makes no sense to rank them that way).

Hjort's cluster system is probably the best way to consider rankings. If you can get admitted to multiple schools within the same cluster, then just choose the one that you like best and it won't be a mistake. If are admitted to a school in a higher cluster and are leaning towards attending a school from a lower cluster, think seriously about whether that makes sense.

(Just a disclosure, I'm not applying to Harvard.)
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2006, 03:23
The problem with the USNWR is that it only considers US schools. Clearly LBS, INSEAD, IMD, Oxford, Western Ontario etc.. are all outstanding programs that don't even get recognized. I was curious because FT places LBS at #5, just above Chicago and just below Columbia, which seems fair. FT also keeps the "ultra elite cluster" pretty tight, probably favoring Wharton for its preminence as the oldest accredited business school in the country.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2006, 07:01
I like the FT ranking because it passes the smell test of having H/S/W in their top three, plus it includes international schools. However, their ranking of Kellogg is way off, plus it overvalues international schools (several of their ranking paramaters depend on having more international students, faculty, etc.).
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: So WHO is the Authority on rankings? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2006, 07:27
GMATT73 wrote:
Which do you follow?

I will go with the Ultra-ELite/Elite/Trans-ELite classification
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2006, 08:22
I think it makes a lot of sense to exclude international schools from the ranking as the ranking authorities are done by US media and are meant primarily for an American consumer base. While INSEAD, LBS, etc. are excellent schools, the brand recognition of these programs in MOST American circles is much lower than that of the top US programs that companies are universally familiar with. International programs are best suited for those who want to work in Europe or Asia post-grad and can reap the full benefits of those programs prestige in the region. On the same tolken, I would venture to say that an LBS degree would get a bit more mileage in the UK than one from Kellogg/Northwestern. Even within the US there are regional biases.
  [#permalink] 02 Dec 2006, 08:22