Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE:Other (Insurance)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2013
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: So you want great work life balance post MBA [#permalink]
I would be interested to hear some perspectives on jobs outside of the U.S. Would the same industries or similar levels within a corporation have the same descriptions as the U.S when looking at work-life balance?

Becky
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Izvos, could you please give credit and direct people to this site.

Thanx for the answer. I will give a back link.

I like the part with the hours will fly :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Bookmarks
mreevit wrote:
Izvos wrote:
Very nice article. I posted it to my blog EDITED

Actually, i did not consider this factor till now and really started thinking about it. And how your life changes after of years of such work?

Speaking about those IB 100+ hours week guys, how are they?

Izvos -

On your blog you are not giving credit to the original writer of this post (Riverripper). This is plagiarism, and I’m sure that the original poster doesn’t appreciate it. This makes me wonder if any of your articles are legitimately yours.

Riverripper has written many helpful posts for future MBAs. Please give credit when credit is due.

Thank you.

I added back link. Sorry for that
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE:Other (Insurance)
Send PM
All of his articles are from somewhere else. In one post, it even says "MBAmission" in the article. I'm not sure if he understands that this is not acceptable, or if he is attempting to make some kind of "wiki" of useful articles.

Go ahead and see for yourself. Pick an article and paste a few sentences into Google. You will see his page and the source's page.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
mbain2012a wrote:

I'm curious about the compensation spread of Corp Finance/Gen Mgmt vs Consulting...I agree that it probably tends to be overstated. I always figured similar post-MBA salaries with Consulting getting much larger bonuses.

Yes, riverripper is definitely correct that the amount that consultants get paid (at least in the first few years) isn't as much as people think although the signing bonuses and potential tuition reimbursements make it pretty attractive.

From a base salary and bonus standpoint for 1st year MBA grads, here's where I think people land.

Corporate Finance $95k base + $15-25k bonus = $110-120k
Brand Management $100k base + $30k bonus = $130k
Consulting $100k base + $30-50k bonus = $130-150k
IB/PE $100k base + ??? bonus = $100 - 500k. :)
Disney (General Management) = $70-80k
Google = $120-130k base + ?? bonus
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
. . .

Originally posted by wonderbread1 on 14 Jul 2011, 10:30.
Last edited by wonderbread1 on 01 Sep 2011, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
eskimoroll wrote:
mbain2012a wrote:

I'm curious about the compensation spread of Corp Finance/Gen Mgmt vs Consulting...I agree that it probably tends to be overstated. I always figured similar post-MBA salaries with Consulting getting much larger bonuses.

Yes, riverripper is definitely correct that the amount that consultants get paid (at least in the first few years) isn't as much as people think although the signing bonuses and potential tuition reimbursements make it pretty attractive.

From a base salary and bonus standpoint for 1st year MBA grads, here's where I think people land.

Corporate Finance $95k base + $15-25k bonus = $110-120k
Brand Management $100k base + $30k bonus = $130k
Consulting $100k base + $30-50k bonus = $130-150k
IB/PE $100k base + ??? bonus = $100 - 500k. :)
Disney (General Management) = $70-80k
Google = $120-130k base + ?? bonus

Can't speak for most of those, but I would put the Consulting base more around $115-$120K.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
goobersmooches wrote:

Haven't posted in a while but knowing people who have gone to and from B-School from Disney, it really depends on what department you work for and on your experience when you entered school. I think Disney (Gen Mgmt) would be more like $80k - $120k (base + bonus).

I know this is also true for the company I work for, and I'd imagine wide salary ranges are fairly consistent for the majority of positions in "industry".

Also, can't agree more with the waxing and waning of work/life balance in corporate! I'm in strategy, and when there're big projects I'm traveling and working 70hrs/week. When there aren't... 45hrs!

Thanks for the clarification on Disney. Among my group of friends (most are post MBAs), our impression is that Disney is amazing and we'd love to work for them but because of the value of working in that industry, they tend to pay lower than most companies (also the case with professional sporting teams). For $120k, I'd definitely love to work for Disney! :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:CBS
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
eskimoroll wrote:
goobersmooches wrote:

Haven't posted in a while but knowing people who have gone to and from B-School from Disney, it really depends on what department you work for and on your experience when you entered school. I think Disney (Gen Mgmt) would be more like $80k - $120k (base + bonus).

I know this is also true for the company I work for, and I'd imagine wide salary ranges are fairly consistent for the majority of positions in "industry".

Also, can't agree more with the waxing and waning of work/life balance in corporate! I'm in strategy, and when there're big projects I'm traveling and working 70hrs/week. When there aren't... 45hrs!

Thanks for the clarification on Disney. Among my group of friends (most are post MBAs), our impression is that Disney is amazing and we'd love to work for them but because of the value of working in that industry, they tend to pay lower than most companies (also the case with professional sporting teams). For $120k, I'd definitely love to work for Disney! :wink:

I should caveat that $120k is really at the high end. You'd have to have prior experience in entertainment and would have to get on the right team (like corporate strategy). I imagine parks & resorts or consumer products pay less.

The people I knew on their corp strat team worked pretty crazy hours compared to their sales and marketing teams. So a tradeoff there.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
Read the Four-hour Workweek?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Schools:Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4
Send PM
Izvos wrote:
mreevit wrote:
Izvos wrote:
Very nice article. I posted it to my blog https://izvos.com/after-mba-worklife-balance/.

Actually, i did not consider this factor till now and really started thinking about it. And how your life changes after of years of such work?

Speaking about those IB 100+ hours week guys, how are they?

Izvos -

On your blog you are not giving credit to the original writer of this post (Riverripper). This is plagiarism, and I’m sure that the original poster doesn’t appreciate it. This makes me wonder if any of your articles are legitimately yours.

Riverripper has written many helpful posts for future MBAs. Please give credit when credit is due.

Thank you.

I added back link. Sorry for that

Perhaps an administrator can restrict his/her ability to post links until the blatant plagiarism issue is resolved.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
He can copy and paste in his blog and we have no control. Even if you ban someone for stealing material they can still see the site, so that wont even help. You just have to hope people do the right thing and have integrity.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
He can copy and paste in his blog and we have no control. Even if you ban someone for stealing material they can still see the site, so that wont even help. You just have to hope people do the right thing and have integrity.

Yeah, I took a look at his blog and his posts are pulled verbatim from other reputable MBA and GMAT websites with no link back of reference. It leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. I'd actually like to ban him. He can do whatever he wants but I'd rather him not keep promoting his site here on GMATClub.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
So I see this a lot on all the discussion of future career goals and discussions about why people want to do what the want to do.

Work Life Balance: seems like a lot of folks who decide they don't want to be consultants or bankers site this as one of the major factors in that decision. People who don't seem all that passionate about GM, marketing, corporate finance, etc...decide they will go for one of these careers because they will have a better life. I was one of those people who thought that it would be better, and it very well could be for some people. However, based on discussions with friends and my personal experience it may be better but it is certainly not good.

First of all, don't begin to believe you will work 40 hours a week and/or wont have to travel. A lot of companies give the bait and switch, you might get there will be some travel but less than 20% of the time or yes there is some long hours when important projects are due.

Personally I have traveled more than 50% of the time, this is definitely not as much as the 75-90% that my friends consulting are doing. It sucks sometimes to work 70-80 hours a week but then again I talk with friends in banking who work 100+ a week and get a weekend once every 3 or 4 months. When I look objectively at my hours and travel it has been an amazing opportunity; I fly on the company jet more often than not and have been working as the right hand guy for one of the top guys at my company. That's exactly why most people go to get an MBA, we want to be the guy/gal on a first name basis with the CEO, COO, CFO and all the VPs. Sure if you are at a $50 billion a year company that may not happen but those people will be appraised of your contributions much more so than anyone else at your level. They may not be able to pick you out of a crowd but the certainly know how you are performing. If you are at a $2-10 billion company it is a very real possibility that you will interact with and be known personally by all/most of those people.

So how much do you realistically work in an average week? Or if it makes more sense, what is typical of the "busier" periods and the "less-busy" periods for you, and what's the proportion between the two?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.84
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Nice info Rhyme! From eyeballing it, it looks like those that stay in consulting don't typically stay in consulting (which is expected) - the earnings plateau doesn't seem consistent with making partner at the 6+ year range.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
hello all, great thread and good info out here. currently I am writing my "why mba?" essay and desperately need some advice. I have pharmaceutical manufacturing firm work experience and long term goal is to open a health supplement firm. Post MBA I want to work in Business Development. I am confused whether to mention post MBA goal to join a pharma firm or to join strategic consultancy for a few years?

jobs post mba in pharma firm range from 5-10% of most top US B schools. and consultancy post mba jobs are easily over 20% for these B schools. I talked to some of my friends in consultancy and they mentioned that consultancy gives much broader exposure. what I think will be useful for me is experience in business/strategy development (specifically to get experience in developing business in new demographic areas and new domains of business, such as from youth health to old age health etc.). but which company to go for immediately post mba?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Booth '16 (M)
Send PM
An interesting point about work/life balance post-MBA.

Many applicants get into a top program, thinking they're "set", but don't realize that some of the top paying jobs (consulting, banking, among others) are almost de facto 70+ hour weeks.

Using our site, TransparentMBA, we've acquired over 140,000 data points from real MBAs and our average hours worked is 59 hours per week. With an total compensation average of ~$200k (top 25 schools). You can check out the site (free for MBAs, alumni and prospective students) for more info by company, industry, function, location, etc.

Kevin
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3