Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 00:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sociologist: Research shows, contrary to popular opinion,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: pets [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 12:52
ImJun wrote:
i beat it without even thinking, u call this a 700 level?
lol but sometimes we do get stuck on questions like that

What are you bringing to the table?

I kindly ask you for your thoughts on this question.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: pets [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 02:06
noboru wrote:
I'm still not conviced with the reasons you are providing to ruling out A.

Some people who have pets are happier than most people who do not. Suppose two people A(who has a pet) and B(who doesnt have a pet)

Premise says -
A less happy than B

Conclusion-
For A or B to be as happy as possible they should not have a pet

Consider A or B want to be as happy as possible , which of them below statements can they use -
(A) Some people who have pets are happier than most people who do not. - This says that some A are happier than B , doesnt help much to decide how can 1 be more happier.
(D) Most people who have pets feel happier because they have pets - This says that A or for that matter B can be happier if they have a pet which directly attach the conclusion

Hope, it clears the confusion.

This time , its my time .

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1045

Kudos [?]: 4577 [0], given: 162

Re: pets [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 06:12
Expert's post
noboru wrote:
Sociologist: Research shows, contrary to popular opinion, that, all other things being equal, most people who have pets are less happy than most people who do not. Therefore, any person who wants to be as happy as possible would do well to consider not having a pet.
Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the sociologist’s argument?
(A) Some people who have pets are happier than most people who do not.
(B) Most people who have no pets occasionally wish that they had pets.
(C) Most people who have pets are reasonably happy.
(D) Most people who have pets feel happier because they have pets.
(E) All people who have no pets admit to feeling unhappy sometimes.

Between A and D what is your take?

Premise:
Most people who have pets are less happy than most people who do not.
Conclusion:
Any person who wants to be as happy as possible would do well to consider not having a pet.

What the argument doesn't say is that pets are the reason why people who have them are not as happy. We do not know what is the causal agent here. Is that people were unhappy in the first place and hence got pets to be happier? or is it that they were happy and got pets and then got unhappy?
What would weaken my conclusion is: People were unhappy in the first place and hence got pets and got happier. In that case, getting a pet would make people relatively happier than before.

Option (D) says exactly this. Most people who have pets feel happier because they have pets. Lets say on a scale of 1 to 10 of happiness, people without pets are at 9 and those with pets are at 7. Those who have pets were actually at 5 without pets but came up to 7 because of their pets. So without the pets they would go down to 5 (may be even 3 because losing a pet is terrible but that's besides the point!) This seriously weakens my conclusion that if you want to be as happy as possible, don't get a pet.

Option (A) is incorrect because even if some people who have pets are happier than most people who do not, they could be few and exceptional cases. You cannot draw general statements based on the cases of few people. General statements can be drawn only from what most people experience.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: pets   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2010, 06:12