Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 20:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Somber in tone and menacing in content, the leader of the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Somber in tone and menacing in content, the leader of the [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 20:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

22% (01:30) correct 78% (00:38) wrong based on 10 sessions
Somber in tone and menacing in content, the leader of the terrorists who were holding the hostages sent a message leaving little hope that they would be released by the end of the week.
A)
B) leader of the terrorists holding the hostages sent a message that left little hope for their being
C) leader of the terrorists holding the hostages sent a message leaving little hope of the hostages being
D) message sent by the leader of the terrorists who were holding the hostages left little hope that the hostages woul be
E)message that was sent by the leader of the terrorists who were holding the hostages left little hope for the hostages to be
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC hostages [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 20:25
jma123 wrote:
Somber in tone and menacing in content, the leader of the terrorists who were holding the hostages sent a message leaving little hope that they would be released by the end of the week.
A)
B) leader of the terrorists holding the hostages sent a message that left little hope for their being
C) leader of the terrorists holding the hostages sent a message leaving little hope of the hostages being
D) message sent by the leader of the terrorists who were holding the hostages left little hope that the hostages woul be
E)message that was sent by the leader of the terrorists who were holding the hostages left little hope for the hostages to be

"Somber in tone and menacing in content" should refer to message and hence A,B,C are out. between D and E, I go with D
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 21:19
(D) it is...

Somber in tone and menacing in content, the message sent by the leader of the terrorists who were holding the hostages left little hope that the hostages would be released by the end of the week.

Somber in tone and menacing in content, : Appositive Phrase Modifying "The Message"
sent by the leader of the terrorists: Participle Phrase modifying Message (acting as an Adjective)
who were holding the hostages: Noun Clause modifying Terrorists
that the hostages would be released by the end of the week : that introduces Subordinate Clause.

About Other Choices:
(A), (B) and (C): out: Somber in tone and menacing in content should modify message not leader.

(E): confusing: message left little hope for the hostages to be released. Not properly Connected.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2005, 09:56
agree with the mass.

but i do have some confusion

in this part of the sentence,

the leader of the terrorists who were holding

"of the terrorists" is a prepositional phrase.
and

"who were holding---" is a relative clause.

now, many times i have read in the forum that prepositional phrase can be omited from the sentence without changing the actual structure and meaning.

if this be the case, then the sentence would stand out to be,

"the leader who were holding----" (a subject verb agreement error)

i am little bit confused here,
is it that we can omit prepositional phrase else where but not when the prepositional phrase is followed by a relative clause(as is the case here)

please confirm .
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2005, 17:12
dipaksingh wrote:
agree with the mass.

but i do have some confusion

in this part of the sentence,

the leader of the terrorists who were holding

"of the terrorists" is a prepositional phrase.
and

"who were holding---" is a relative clause.

now, many times i have read in the forum that prepositional phrase can be omited from the sentence without changing the actual structure and meaning.

if this be the case, then the sentence would stand out to be,

"the leader who were holding----" (a subject verb agreement error)

i am little bit confused here,
is it that we can omit prepositional phrase else where but not when the prepositional phrase is followed by a relative clause(as is the case here)

please confirm .

U can definitely omit the prepositional phrase but after looking at what all u should omit.

It is clear that "who" refers to "terrorist". Now when u r omiting "of the terrorist", u should omit all words related to it.
here, of the terrorist who were....
Now see the sentence after omitting:
the message sent by the leader .. left little hope that the hostages would be released by the end of the week.

I guess it clears ur doubt...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2005, 09:42
thanks jpv.

a very good point . i now get the concept.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC hostages [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2005, 22:54
jma123 wrote:
A)

D it is.

"who" is meant to terroists.
(A)(B)(C) are dangling
Anybody explain what's wrong with E?

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2005, 23:01
the problem lies with 'to be'.

the question is really 'whether the hostage will be released'. since the sentence is in the past tense, we use 'would' instead of 'will'.

'to be' somehow changes the meaning of the sentence. I don't know how to put it in words, maybe someone else can.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2005, 22:51
Hello, ywilfred

Does "to me" imply any tense here?

Any more explicit explanation?

:wink:
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2005, 10:29
I narrowed it to D and E as all other choices have a modifier problem.

E is wrong because "little hope for the hostages" implies hope is for the hostages - the original sentence does not imply that.

D it is
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC hostages [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 17:25
jma123 wrote:
A)
D) message sent by the leader of the terrorists who were holding the hostages left little hope that the hostages would be

Guys,

I don't think that option D is grammatical correct. I accept that there is a slight change in meaning in option E but I read everywhere that Grammar> meaning> conciseness.
Here "message sent by the leader...." has to be a passive construction because if "sent by the leader....." is modifying message using past participle then it should be separated by comma.

In choice E, "that was sent by the leader of the ...." is correct construction because "that" can be used for essential modifier and does not require any comma.

Little brief for our friends, who do not know about essential and non-essential modifier.
Non essential modifier : ".....Clause +comma(,)+which...." : Always represent extra information which we can remove from sentence and sentence will still make sense.
Essential modifier " "...........that ................" : Require as essential information for sentence to make sense.

I believe my doubt is genuine and expert will comment.

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

Re: SC hostages   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2011, 17:25