Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 12:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some advice from an old pro...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Schools: Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 21 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Some advice from an old pro... [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2003, 23:41
This post received
KUDOS
There are good ways and really bad ways of studying for the GMAT. Let me give you an example of a BAD way.

The worse way is too take a lot of tests, answer a lot of questions, but not REALLY study. I have seen time and time again people who think that by buying the next best book, they can suddenly gain the insight needed to do better. I have also seen time and time again people who try to do a problem, give up or guess, look up the answer, then say "oh yeah, i got it" then move on. BAD!!!! Worse is people who got it right, but weren't sure, then confirm it is right, then move on as though they somehow now understand it.

If you really want to learn, buy an OG, do ALL of the questions SLOWLY over time, and do NOT move on until you can explain why the correct answer is right AND why the incorrect answer is wrong CLEARLY and PLAINLY in your own words. This is a long and painful process, but this forum is the best place to practice. (For Q questions, try to be able to solve any problem from multiple points of view. Do NOT rely on memorizing equations, but focus on understanding the underlying concepts).

Once again, when you answer a question here, you should spell out EXACTLY why you answered it the way you did. Moreover, you should not be satisfied until you truly understand backwards and forwards every question you come across.

You will not see as many questions this way. But the ones you do, you will truly understand and that will build your thinking process.

JMHO

Best,

AkamaiBrah
Former Senior Instructor, Manhattan GMAT and VeritasPrep
Vice President, Midtown NYC Investment Bank, Structured Finance IT
MFE, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley, Class of 2005
MBA, Anderson School of Management, UCLA, Class of 1993

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2004, 02:45
HI AKAMAIBRAH...

THANKS ! The inputs were really helpful and very thought-provoking too, now I understand why we don't actually do as good as we think we
should....

I have few doubts regards the Quant ...if U have time ...please do let us have some enlightenment...

#1 the D.S I believe is the more tricky aspect and it is in here that the test gauges our strenghts or weaknesses... anyway to get a firmer grip on these apart form the A or B / AND the D C , E METHOD...

#2 there are some problems which take a lot of time 9( I would try posting them later if U don't mind!) I know there is a simple way of solving that particular problem but then that way is masked by the complexity of the given question... is thr anyway to have a smart-guess involved at this point ...thr must be some simple and ease method...

#3 I have some real problem with ''probability'' in fact the probability that probability can probably get into my head it very less probable... :-D the reason is quite simple though -aversion for math and anything related to math from my childhood.... :roll: also the permutations and combinations... cud U help me by giving me a work-out( even advice) so that I would do it with some seriousness and get a grip so as to feel more
Confident AND STRONG !

hope I have not asked U too much...

Have fun :-D

the whole worldmakes way for the man who knows wer he's going... good luck

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Question... [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2004, 10:57
Hey AkamaiBrah,

I keep seeing this OG terminology referenced to in a lot of forum posts? What exactly does is stand for? And where exactly can i obtain past practice GMAT tests from (i.e. the ones that are actually administered by the ETS)?

Thanks for you help, and Berkeley is an amazing place,
Vivek

--
800 please.

CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 649 [0], given: 781

Re: Question... [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2004, 11:24
lphiekickmydog wrote:
Hey AkamaiBrah,

I keep seeing this OG terminology referenced to in a lot of forum posts? What exactly does is stand for? And where exactly can i obtain past practice GMAT tests from (i.e. the ones that are actually administered by the ETS)?

Thanks for you help, and Berkeley is an amazing place,
Vivek

its the Official Guide for GMAT Review .

<a href = "http://www.gmatclub.com/content/resources/reviews/index.php?changeCategory(%2Fgmat)&browse()" >Official Guide</a>

you can logon to mba.com . The past practice gmat tests are avaliable for sale there.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2005, 07:08
Thanx AkamaiBrah.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2005, 05:23
Hi AkamaiBrah,
I'm a hapless chap from India who could score only 510 in 1st attempt.
42Q,19V
This time I did not get time to focus OG but did KAP & PR books.I think they can prepare you for 550 max.
As an expert can you suggest me any support book alongwith OG.
Going by different threads I believe Manhattan offers good materials.
But again they are too costly.The irony is $30 may not look much but it translates into INR 1400 which is of big value.And as you understand I've already invested enough in GMAT.
Secondly how long it will take to reach India.
Intern
Intern

Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2005, 21:01
Hi Akamai:

Wanted a honeset opinin from you as to how good are the CATs provided by manhattan GMAT, I took their 9 week course last year, could not take the exam last year for some personal reasons, am aspiring to take the exam at the end of this month. I have taken three practice tests from the Manhattan GMAT CAT CD and have consistently scored 690-700 range. I would really like to hear your opininon about my performance so far. Can you shed some light on this?

Thanks for all your input
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2006, 20:47
Seems like you read my mind!!!
I tend to do exactly like the first paragraph says, the answer always is simple when I look at it, get satisfied and move on. i don't realize why I got the answer wrong the first time.

Also, too many tests and not enough subject matter preparation is a huge mistake.
Thanks for the tip.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 26

Re: Some advice from an old pro... [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 15:10
I agree your point about the "thinking process". I should try to draw a balance between that and time management for each question.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: Some advice from an old pro... [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 00:22
Cannot agree more. It reminds me to stick to the time limit during practice and only profound over the question afterward. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 11:46
BULLdoser wrote:
Hi AkamaiBrah,

Secondly how long it will take to reach India.

I've been familiarizing myself with this site for a few weeks now, not really commenting because most everything has been addressed. In that time I have come across a lot of posts by people begging OPs for detailed help with their "particular situation." This thread is no different, and I applaud the OP for not replying to any of these! However, this one question was just too much! When I read it, after the already laundry list of typical questions this guys asked for help with, I couldn't stop laughing for about 10 minutes (I am still chuckling).

The OP works at an IB, not the freaking post office!!! How the hell do you expect him to know or answer that question?! I am guessing CR wasn't your forte!

Well there it is, my first post! I will try refrain from asking stupid or repetitive questions, and vow to use search like a lot of the folks above hadn't.

PS I do know that this was posted quite some time ago, but it was just so ludicrous that I couldn't help myself:)
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Some advice from an old pro... [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 01:41
Good advice. I sometimes fall into the trap of wanting to take too many practice tests but not actually study. The first time I took the GMAT using this method, and scored a 680. I'm hoping that by buckling down and actually using some of the strategies outlined here, I'll be able to go 700+.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 10

Re: Some advice from an old pro... [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 06:46
The reference about wanting the newest best book is right on point... Algebra, Arithmetic and Geometry has not changed in a really long time. Its either you have a great foundation on number properties or you dont. For the most part all the books will explain each concept in a similar way. However, until one spends time learning the concept it will never sink in. I used to tutor math and always made my students "teach" me how to do whatever we were working on. If you cannot explain how to solve a problem then you have no idea how to do it.

Reward wisdom with kudos

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V20
GPA: 3.74
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 50

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Some advice from an old pro... [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 10:49
That's exactly the mistake I made the first time I took the test. :(

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you.

Re: Some advice from an old pro...   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2012, 10:49