Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 18:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some advice ..perhaps some profile eval as well.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cambridge
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 14

Some advice ..perhaps some profile eval as well. [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2009, 07:11
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

After going through the forums and numerous posts, I realised that as a typical Indian/IT/Male, I have a very slight chance to get into any of the top finance programs. But hope is what keeps us going ,so I thought let me put my profile up here and see other ppl have to say about it; at the least it will give me somewhat a real picture! So here it goes -

1) Indian/IT/Male - non IIT engineer in comp scn.
2) 28 years.
3) GMAT: taking next month. for now lets assume it to be a well balanced 700+ ( if I go by gmat prep!)
3) 5+ years overall ex. and 3+ in investment banking tech in a major british IB ( take a guess :P )
Quite a decent knowledge abt currency options ( vanilla as well exotics), pricing theory and product structuring. Interacted quite a bit with traders and structures situated across asia, europe and US.
Goes without saying, I know technology as well.
4) Certficates and awards in mixed martial arts.
5) Instructor in ballroom dancing (salsa, jive etc in weekends)

Initially , I wanted to be a quant jock, and then I decided to come down from my ego trip and evaluated my chances and more importantly my interest level in doing the derivation for black scholes.. and time series analysis and all that high jazz mathematics. My reaction - Do I want to be thrown out of the uni in three months time ??
Moreover, I don't want to write code anymore.. I want to go into sales and trading! (Amazing women these departments have!)

so guys what do u think? Do I have any chance to break into any of the good programs ( say ivy leagues , oxbridge, and ultra elite european school)

No Execuse..

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Some advice ..perhaps some profile eval as well. [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2009, 04:59
Hi

Please list some of the schools you are interested in.That would be easier.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: Some advice ..perhaps some profile eval as well. [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2009, 09:28
Class2012 wrote:
Hi

Please list some of the schools you are interested in.That would be easier.

1) Cambridge
2) Oxford
3) LSB
4) Stern
5) HEC
6) IMD
7)Insead
Inclined majorly towards one year program and hence more european schools in above list.

No Execuse..

Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Some advice ..perhaps some profile eval as well. [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2009, 15:41
I have no idea about European schools but if u can get 700+ gmat and execute your essays well,you will have shot at Stern.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: Some advice ..perhaps some profile eval as well. [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2009, 04:30
Class2012 wrote:
I have no idea about European schools but if u can get 700+ gmat and execute your essays well,you will have shot at Stern.

thnx for ther reply Class2012..going to take gmat next week.Lets see how it goes.
thnx once again.

No Execuse..

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Some advice ..perhaps some profile eval as well. [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 01:53
Good luck Aditya I am in the same boat wanted to go for quant fin courses but decided against that and now all ready for MBA Class of 2012 from a European B school

GMAT 720(94%) (Q 49(87%) V 39(87%))

Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 373 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Some advice ..perhaps some profile eval as well. [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 02:36
Hi, I'm also with a similar profile. Though I'm not an expert, but the few negative points which I can think of in your profile are - IT Indian (the most competitive pool), your age, non IIT background. Your strong points - International exposure (assuming by "traders and structures situated across..." you mean you have travelled to different countries), your awards and extra curricular which can provide uniqueness in your profile.

You can further strengthen your profile by adding leadership exp or initiatives may be in or outside of your professional life. Also you can think of some certifications or enrollment in programs related to your career goal.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Re: Some advice ..perhaps some profile eval as well.   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2010, 02:36