Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some advice please...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Some advice please... [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2009, 21:46
Dear Linda and Paul,

I am writing to you as I am in a bit of a dilemma about MBA applications for fall 2010.

I am a female, doctor in Melbourne, Australia. I am Malaysian originally.

Completed medical school at The University of Melbourne 2006- above average grades (not a GPA system.)

Did a Bachelor's of Medical Science (BMedSc) at Oxford University with Honours.
Have worked as a doctor for 2 years full time and a few months (locum, part-time)
Currently undertaking a MPhil (in Medical Research) at Melbourne Uni which will end in Aug.

Gmat score: Q 47(78%) and V36(78%) and overall score 680(86%) AWA: 5 which was disappointing given I was getting 710-730 on practice tests.

Extracurrricular: voulunteering at a disabled children's home, helped set up a night tuition centre for underprivileged children, sponsoring a child, fundraising for tsunami victims, official member of several clubs at uni, and played netball for college.

Aim: To use medical background with management and finance skills to work on improving health policy/initiatives in different settings globally.

I am very keen for theses schools: HBS, Columbia, Wharton, LBS, Haas, Tuck, Yale, Cornell, Duke. Am also applying to Said and Carnegie-Mellon.

1) Do you think my Gmat score will jeopardise my chances for the above schools

2) Should I aim to re-sit the GMAT and apply in round 2 with hopefully a better score or given the chances for increased applicants this year, apply in round one with current score.

3) I have had lots of differing opinions on the impact of the GMAT on applications and was wondering if you could put into perspective for me.

3) Also, are there other schools I should be researching specific to my background and interest and that are within my reach?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Some advice please... [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 19:38
Pene,

Given the unusualness of your profile, I doubt that your 680 will be a big negative factor for you at any of these schools. It's not a bad score. That said, since you are coming from a nontraditional background and are aiming high, you should consider retaking it if you think you can do better. Since that was your first attempt and your practice scores are higher you probably will raise it. But don't spend too much time focusing on the GMAT, since even raising it to a 710 won't make a huge difference in your chances. The GMAT is important but your score puts you "in the game" and equally important will be your essays, work experience, etc.

Unless your essays are already written and have been thoroughly reviewed, it is getting too late in the game for you to apply to schools with first-round deadlines before, say, mid-October. Since the differences between 1st and 2nd rounds aren't great, however, this is no problem.

The schools you listed are quite given your healthcare goals. The only other I might suggest is Vanderbilt.

Hope this helps,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter