Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 06:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 18:14
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (02:07) correct 43% (01:20) wrong based on 194 sessions
Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on leather seats for their aircraft, sometimes twice as expensive as the others, because they last two times as long.

(A) Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on leather seats for their aircraft, sometimes twice as expensive as the others, because they last two times as long.
(B) Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money, sometimes twice as expensive as the others, on leather seats for their aircraft because they last twice as long.
(C) Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on leather seats, sometimes twice as expensive as the others, on leather seats for their aircraft, being twice as long lasting.
(D) Leather seats lasting twice as long as the others, some airline companies prefer spending two times the extra money on them.
(E) Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on leather seats, sometimes twice as expensive as the others, for their aircraft because they last twice as long.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Question
Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on leather seats, sometimes twice as expensive as the others, for their aircraft because they last twice as long.

"they" could refer to:
"airline companies," "leather seats," "the others," or "aircraft"...ok ok, so take out "the others" because it is in the modifier, (and does that matter?)....still:

How is the "they" not an ambiguous pronoun???

People always address the more obvious cases of ambiguous pronoun use....can anyone answer my question/s?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 59

Re: Kap SC- Expensive leather seats for aircraft [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 23:52
I will go with E. reason behind it is simple. 1st correct placement of modifier ( leather seats with opening clause which was not there in choice B,C,D . got stuck btw A, E but choose E for twice as long word and pronoun their is correctly used with aircraft and they is in that case in referring back to leather seats.

Thanks!!
Soul

stringworm wrote:
Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on leather seats for their aircraft, sometimes twice as expensive as the others, because they last two times as long.

(A) Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on leather seats for their aircraft, sometimes twice as expensive as the others, because they last two times as long.
(B) Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money, sometimes twice as expensive as the others, on leather seats for their aircraft because they last twice as long.
(C) Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on leather seats, sometimes twice as expensive as the others, on leather seats for their aircraft, being twice as long lasting.
(D) Leather seats lasting twice as long as the others, some airline companies prefer spending two times the extra money on them.
(E) Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on leather seats, sometimes twice as expensive as the others, for their aircraft because they last twice as long.

Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on leather seats, sometimes twice as expensive as the others, for their aircraft because they last twice as long.

"they" could refer to:
"airline companies," "leather seats," "the others," or "aircraft"...ok ok, so take out "the others" because it is in the modifier, (and does that matter?)....still:

People always address the more obvious cases of ambiguous pronoun use....can anyone answer my question/s?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kelley,Tepper,Carlson,Kenan Flager,Broad
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 22

Re: Kap SC- Expensive leather seats for aircraft [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 00:11
stringworm wrote:

Two ways to find out what "they" refers to.
1) Trace back from "they" and find out what is the first plural noun you see. "Seats". Hence they refer to seats.
2) Ask what last twice as long? Companies? or Seats?

OA E.

My dad once said to me: Son, nothing succeeds like success.

Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 956 [0], given: 376

Re: Kap SC- Expensive leather seats for aircraft [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 00:57
stringworm wrote:

leather seats, "sometimes twice as expensive as the others"-- don't know what others refer to and how can the leather seats be compared with "the others".

If we turn a blind eye to the entire adjective phrase, the sentence looks like:

Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on leather seats for their aircraft because they last twice as long.
their- can only refer back to companies because "it wouldn't make sense to say leather seats aircraft"
they- refers back to leather seats AS "leather seats last" makes more sense than "companies last". Also "twice AS long" is suggesting a comparison; "sometimes twice as expensive as the others": this is the predecessor that tells us with what the longevity of leather seats is compared.

So, each of the pronouns can logically refer only to the respective noun mentioned and is not ambiguous.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1704 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Kap SC- Expensive leather seats for aircraft [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 06:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Look at this rule taken from Google:
Some nouns have identical plural and singular forms, although they are still considered to have a plural form.
For example:-
aircraft - aircraft | fish - fish | headquarters - headquarters | sheep - sheep | species - species
Why can’t the they refer to aircraft: because for an argument we can say that aircraft being things can also last twice as long.

The point of this query is: Why couldn’t have the author of this text said as follows?

Quote:
Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on leather seats for their aircraft, sometimes twice as expensive as the others, because such seats last

This would have removed any grain of ambiguity and doubt about pronoun reference; Pronouns in formal English should be beyond doubt like Caesar’s wife

Another point of discontent as fluke pointed out is that again the pronoun others can very well stand for other companies rather than for seats.

I think the text is paying too casual and cavalier respect to pronoun reference

Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 956 [0], given: 376

Re: Kap SC- Expensive leather seats for aircraft [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 06:48
daagh wrote:
Some nouns have identical plural and singular forms, although they are still considered to have a plural form.
aircraft - aircraft | fish - fish | headquarters - headquarters | sheep - sheep | species - species
Why can’t the they refer to aircraft: because for an argument we can say that aircraft being things can also last twice as long.

The point of this query is: Why couldn’t have the author of this text said as follows?

Quote:
Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on leather seats for their aircraft, sometimes twice as expensive as the others, because such seats last

This would have removed any grain of ambiguity and doubt about pronoun reference; Pronouns in formal English should be beyond doubt like Caesar’s wife

Another point of discontent as fluke pointed out is that again the pronoun others can very well stand for other companies rather than for seats.

"aircraft" is used as plural as well. I didn't know that. thanks. Surely ambiguous then.

~fluke

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

Re: Kap SC- Expensive leather seats for aircraft [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 11:18
This was posted on Manhattan forums in 2010. Even they have not responded to this question. So I assume this question may be controversial.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/som ... 10938.html

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Manager
Manager

Re: Kap SC- Expensive leather seats for aircraft [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 14:28
daagh wrote:

Quote:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 56

Re: Kap SC- Expensive leather seats for aircraft [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 16:56
I picked A, but I see why E is correct...thanks for the links and the explanations.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 37

Re: Kap SC- Expensive leather seats for aircraft [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 17:24
+1 for E.

As far as I know, GMAT sometimes goes easy on pronoun reference and allows ambiguous references, if the context is clear. However, I agree with fluke that even in that case, they could very well refer to companies.

Crick
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, IIMs

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Re: Kap SC- Expensive leather seats for aircraft [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 19:39
Can anybody let me know why B is incorrect?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

Re: Kap SC- Expensive leather seats for aircraft [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 07:54
stringworm wrote:

"they" could refer to:

Modifier question
Only (E) aligns all modifiers correctly, keeping the intended meaning.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Kap SC- Expensive leather seats for aircraft [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2011, 17:36
arzad wrote:
I picked A, but I see why E is correct...thanks for the links and the explanations.

Hi all!
can someone help me to see why A is wrong?

" Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on leather seats for their aircraft, sometimes twice as expensive as the others, because they last two times as long."
is it because of the "sometimes twice as expensive as the others" should be modifying leather seats but in fact it is touching aircraft and thus modifiing the wrong noun?

thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: Kap SC- Expensive leather seats for aircraft [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 09:12
chawlavinu wrote:
Can anybody let me know why B is incorrect?

B is incorrect because "sometimes twice as expensive as the others" refers to "extra money" by proximity; thus b is wrong.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Kap SC- Expensive leather seats for aircraft [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 10:43
stringworm wrote:

"they" could refer to:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 20:48
For me,
A and B are out as the pronoun 'They' is ambiguous.
C is awkward.
Between D and E, D uses 'ing' form which is generally not used in gmat. Hence E is left.
Manager
Manager

Re: Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 16:48
I love how, when it comes to the presence or lack of an ambiguous pronoun, people always justify that it's not an ambiguous pronoun because it wouldn't make sense otherwise, yet another example holds an ambiguous pronoun because it doesn't make sense as is. A grammar catch 22 if I may say so.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 02:43
A, B, C, D have some problems such as "their", "them" (ambiguous), and "being"

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 18

Re: Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 01:30
still i am confused. In E, what "they" refer to?? could anyone explain it more precisely?

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 06:33
This seems more a modifier debate than pronoun debate.

right modifier to limited seats hence - c and e

Then verb tense.. being - awkward.

Hence E.

Well it was that simple! I didnt see it right way though. Took me 3 minutes to come pick a wrong answer! :( :( :roll: :!:

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Re: Some airline companies prefer to spend extra money on   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2012, 06:33