Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 06:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some analysts contend that true capitalism exists only when

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 12

Re: Capitalism [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 01:18
sher676 wrote:
Some analysts contend that true capitalism exists only when the ownership of both property and the means of production is regarded as an inalienable right of an individual’s, and it is not a license granted by government and revokable at whim.

(A) is regarded as an inalienable right of an individual’s, and it is not
(B) are regarded as individuals’ inalienable rights, and that it not be
(C) is regarded as an individual’s inalienable right, not as
(D) are regarded as an individual’s inalienable rights, not when they are
(E) is regarded as the inalienable rights of an individual, not when it is

+1 for C. verb refers to "ownership" hence singular.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 29

Re: Some analysts contend that true capitalism exists only when [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 03:42
IMO-C,

@mainhoon
Subject is "Ownership" which is singular hence in place of are, "is" should be used.
Normally when two statements are connected by and then use of are is correct. However, it is clear that the subject is singular hence the verb must also be singular.
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Some analysts contend that true capitalism exists only when [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 16:50
C is correct

Posted from my mobile device Image

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 20

Re: Capitalism [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2011, 06:47
mainhoon wrote:
Why is it IS and not ARE? Can someone please clarify why the subject here is not plural - the 2 things joined by AND?

Very late, but still.....

Here 'is' refers to 'ownership' but not collection of ownership items. Just try reading the sentence without that collection.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 16

Re: Some analysts contend that true capitalism exists only when [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2011, 07:07
Oh missed the clue,initially marked D...but now i got something out of this question

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Some analysts contend that true capitalism exists only when [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 07:07
C
correct verb is
rest redundant.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Some analysts contend that true capitalism exists only when [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 04:33
sher676 wrote:
Some analysts contend that true capitalism exists only when the ownership of both property and the means of production is regarded as an inalienable right of an individual’s, and it is not a license granted by government and revokable at whim.

The subject is singular; therefore, the singular verb form is required. Hence, Option B and D eliminated.

Option E: Change in the article from 'an' to 'the' that, in my opinion, significantly alters the meaning of the sentence. Eliminated.

Option A: The possessive form is used twice: Individual's and 'of an'. The repetition of the subject in 'it is not...' seems clearly redundant.

Option C. Correct.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 85 [1] , given: 24

Re: Some analysts contend that true capitalism exists only when [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 05:17
This post received
KUDOS
Questions that deal with subject-verb agreements can be tricky as the verb can be placed far away from the subject that refers to it.
Most questions that contain subject verb agreement errors contain many "smoke and mirrors" nouns. The intention of placing these nouns in the sentence is to deflect the attention of the reader from the REAL subject. For most questions, the good news is that the key to answer such questions is to understand that one CAN IGNORE subjects within prepositional phrases. I use the word "most" because sentences that contain SANAMO (Some, Any, None, Most, All, One) rely on the subject within the prepositional phrase to determine if the verb needs to be singular or plural.

Ok, now on to the question . I have reordered the answer choices for the purpose of explanation.

Ok, so there are many nouns - Analysts, Capitalism, ownership, property, means of production, inalienable right etc etc
There are many verbs - contend, exists, "is", etc

"The noun "Analysts " matches with the verb "contend" - Plural
"The noun True capitalism" matches with the verb "exists" - Singular

Let's ignore the nouns within prepositional phrases. In this case, the prepositional phrase starts with "of". So let's chuck out the nouns property and means of production.
This leaves us with the noun "ownership" which is singular and hence the correct verb is "is" and not "are".
Lets read the sentence once again - Some analysts contend ...blah blah... exists only when the ownership of both blah.....blahon .....IS regarded as ...

Ok, this one contains the right verb "is" . Lets examine the other aspects of this sentence.
Look at the usage - regarded as an inalienable right of an individual’s. Seems like the sentence is missing a noun after the word "individual's".
E.g : The headlights of John's car failed to work.
The headlights of John's failed to work. - Doesn't make sense.

OK in both the aspects.
Subject verb agreement.
Correct usage of 's - individual's inalienable right .
From a parallelism perspective - the usage of regarded as...not as is correct.

Look at explanation for (B)

The subject - verb agreement is ok ,
The error with the 's is no longer present
However, there is a parallelism error here. The correct usage is "regarded as ...not as "..
The meaning of the sentence takes a turn for the worse.

IT TAKES A LOT OF EFFORT TO POST DETAILED RESPONSES.
YOUR KUDOS IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.
IT DOESN'T COST A DIME TO GIVE A KUDOS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IT TAKES QUITE A BIT OF TIME AND TO POST DETAILED RESPONSES.
YOUR KUDOS IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 50

Reviews Badge
Re: Some analysts contend that true capitalism exists only when [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 05:46

I want to know what "it" is referring here. Is there any pronoun error existing in option E.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Some analysts contend that true capitalism exists only when [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 00:19
I fell for the trap and made a mistake in judging the subject of the sentence. I thought of the "x and y" as the subject and hence the verb to be chosen as "are" and not "is".

Hence chose D which was wrong. Reading the responses above, I realized that the subject is "Ownership" hence the verb should have been "is".

A really good learning question. I really missed the subject here.

My attempt to capture my B-School Journey in a Blog : tranquilnomadgmat.blogspot.com

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Schools: IIMC (I), IIM
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 30

Re: Some analysts contend that true capitalism exists only when [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 01:15

Thus the reduced stem :

the ownership is regarded as an inalienable right...............AND...........it is not a license..............

verical scan reveals : only A / C/ E maintains the correct SV pairing......... : Thus B&D go off

bxn A / C / E :

(A) The ownership............is regarded as X, and it is not..........................Y

(C) The ownership ...........is regarded as X, not as.........................Y

(E) The ownership............is regarded as X, not when it is............Y

guess now it becomes easy to zone in on C : ............. regarded AS X..........NOT AS Y........

leading to C , my take
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 5

CAT Tests
Re: Some analysts contend that true capitalism exists only when [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 12:21

I liked E until I read it aloud. Answer choice E contains faulty predication, which occurs when a subject and a predicate cannot go together. The subject "ownership [referent]" cannot be a "license". A license may convey ownership; even so, ownership <> license.

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 20

Re: Some analysts contend that true capitalism exists only when [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 20:12
Option C for SV agreement & parallelism
CEO
CEO
Followers: 330

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Some analysts contend that true capitalism exists only when [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2014, 06:35
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Some analysts contend that true capitalism exists only when   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2014, 06:35