Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 22:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some analysts point out that because people are becoming

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Some analysts point out that because people are becoming [#permalink] New post 04 May 2011, 12:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

25% (01:57) correct 75% (01:13) wrong based on 13 sessions
Some analysts point out that because people are becoming accustomed to a steady inflation rate of four to five percent, businesses found that they could raise prices according to this amount without thereby provoking strong public reaction.
(A) found that they could raise prices according to this amount without thereby provoking
(B) found that they were capable of raising prices by this amount and not provoke
(C) find that they are capable of raising prices by this amount and not provoke
(D) are finding that they can raise prices by this amount without provoking
(E) are finding that they can raise prices according to this amount and will not thereby provoke

This caught me :cry:

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 7

Re: Some analysts point out that because people [#permalink] New post 04 May 2011, 15:42
joshnsit wrote:
Some analysts point out that because people are becoming accustomed to a steady inflation rate of four to five percent, businesses found that they could raise prices according to this amount without thereby provoking strong public reaction.
(A) found that they could raise prices according to this amount without thereby provoking
(B) found that they were capable of raising prices by this amount and not provoke
(E) are finding that they can raise prices according to this amount and will not thereby provoke

I think this one is tough too. But let me try.

(A) and (B) are out because it is in past tense. ...because people ARE BECOMING accustomed..., businesses FOUND ... It's weird to have a reason happen in the present while the result happened in the past.

(C) is a gonner too for me... "... because people ARE BECOMING accustomed..., businesses find that they are capable of ... by this amount AND NOT provoke..." We see and AND and this should make as wonder what is this AND dividing. Obviously, it's dividing CAN RAISE prices AND NOT PROVOKE. NOT PARALLEL!

(E) is also a gonner with the AND ... Same as C

My answer is D by elimination.
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Some analysts point out that because people [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 00:43
finding ...raise and provoking are proper usage of verbs here. Provoking happens at the same time as raise,hence proper usage.
Thus D

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Some analysts point out that because people [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 00:50
answer should be D; parallel construction with are becoming - are finding, also capable of raising prices is not preferref to can raise prices
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Deloitte 3 yrs
WE 2: Prok going on

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: Some analysts point out that because people [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 01:12
joshnsit wrote:

Some analysts point out that because people are becoming accustomed to a steady inflation rate of four to five percent,..... [becoming shows some kind of continuity]

As people are becoming accustomed....businesses are also finding.....

So answer has to D or E. In E there is a problem:
are finding that they can raise prices according to this amount and will not thereby provoke

This sounds weird, the better construction would be:

are finding that they can increase prices according to this amount and will not thereby provoke

So I will go with D :roll: .

Akhil Mittal

I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

If my post was helpful to you then encourage me by your kudos :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Some analysts point out that because people [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 06:38
Maintaining present tense of un-underlined part, we can delete A and B.

C talks of capability so I deleted the choice

I selected D for clarity and conciseness

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Some analysts point out that because people [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 13:11
contacttoakhil wrote:
joshnsit wrote:

Some analysts point out that because people are becoming accustomed to a steady inflation rate of four to five percent,..... [becoming shows some kind of continuity]

are finding that they can raise prices according to this amount and will not thereby provoke

are finding that they can increase prices according to this amount and will not thereby provoke

I am not sure why C could not be correct.
Created an analogous sentence on same lines.
Some people say that because I am growing, girls like me more now. Is it a wrong sentence?

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Manager
Manager

Re: Some analysts point out that because people [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 20:34
joshnsit wrote:
contacttoakhil wrote:
joshnsit wrote:

Some people say that because I am growing, girls like me more now. Is it a wrong sentence?

First I doubt your construction:
Some people say that because I am growing, girls like me more now

Also here the word now refers to current time we are talking about. Also we could have used the following better construction:

Some people say that because I am growing, girls are finding me more attractive. [though this is also not the best construction].

Another important aspect to note here is: If there are two processes A and B and B depends on A, then if A is going good B will be following it. I am giving some examples below.

As this is raining, water level in the street is increasing. [Here notice the continuity]
As the weight in the truck is decreasing, speed of the truck is increasing.
I point out that because my salary is increasing, spending power of my girlfriend is increasing without any second thought. :-D [That may not be the best construction but true in real world]

Now come back to C.
find that they are capable of raising prices by this amount and not provoke

1. find is not able to retain that continuity.
2. are capable of raising prices. Which one you will prefer?
I am capable of eating apples.
I can eat apples.
3. not provoke....That is also creating problem in continuity. Just observe!!

So C is not a good choice.

Akhil Mittal

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Some analysts point out that because people [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 02:10
contacttoakhil wrote:
joshnsit wrote:
contacttoakhil wrote:

First I doubt your construction:
Some people say that because I am growing, girls like me more now

Also here the word now refers to current time we are talking about. Also we could have used the following better construction:

Some people say that because I am growing, girls are finding me more attractive. [though this is also not the best construction].

Another important aspect to note here is: If there are two processes A and B and B depends on A, then if A is going good B will be following it. I am giving some examples below.

As this is raining, water level in the street is increasing. [Here notice the continuity]
As the weight in the truck is decreasing, speed of the truck is increasing.
I point out that because my salary is increasing, spending power of my girlfriend is increasing without any second thought. :-D [That may not be the best construction but true in real world]

Now come back to C.
find that they are capable of raising prices by this amount and not provoke

1. find is not able to retain that continuity.
2. are capable of raising prices. Which one you will prefer?
I am capable of eating apples.
I can eat apples.
3. not provoke....That is also creating problem in continuity. Just observe!!

So C is not a good choice.

There are two time frames involved in this question. Continuity in earlier doesnt guarantee that the one in relative future will also be in continuum.

I am sure that because I am studying for 9 hours for IIT, I will crack JEE.
Earlier sentence part is continuous, but results are non-continuous.

So discarding this sentence on basis of parallelism seems to be a problem to me, but yes there are logic issues in C, which I am able to decipher now.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Some analysts point out that because people [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 02:12
For all who are waiting for OA, OA for this question is D

Last edited by joshnsit on 06 May 2011, 04:20, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: Some analysts point out that because people [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 02:29
joshnsit

I doubt over the following construction:

I think this is wrong. :roll: Use of that and because seems inappropriate.

Also for that continuity example, I meant two dependent processes which are going on hand-in-hand and not as a result kind of. Also for the above example it should have been somewhat like the following:

As I study for 9 hours daily, I will crack GMAT.

Akhil Mittal

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Some analysts point out that because people [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 03:41
contacttoakhil wrote:
joshnsit

I doubt over the following construction:

Also for that continuity example, I meant two dependent processes which are going on hand-in-hand and not as a result kind of. Also for the above example it should have been somewhat like the following:

As I study for 9 hours daily, I will crack GMAT.

@Akhil
Agreed on the continuity example. It is valid only if the later process also undergoes continuity.

But I differ on the below point because whole construction of the sentence in this question whether you use any of the choices is like this only.. I framed my sample sentence initially by looking at the construction of question sentence only.

Some analysts ... that because people ....., businesses .....
I am sure .......... that because I am ....... , I will .....

Re: Some analysts point out that because people   [#permalink] 06 May 2011, 03:41