Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 279 [3] , given: 100

Reviews Badge
Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 01:28
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (02:15) correct 45% (01:17) wrong based on 1090 sessions
Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity evident in the world's people is the result of a "population bottleneck"-at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event, greatly reducing their numbers and thus our genetic variation.

A at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event, greatly reducing their numbers
B that at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event that greatly reduced their numbers
C that sometime in the past our ancestors suffered an event so that their numbers were greatly reduced
D some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event from which their numbers were greatly reduced
E some time in the past, that our ancestors suffered an event so as to reduce their numbers greatly,
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1705 [4] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity ev [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 05:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event, greatly reducing their numbers ------ A hyphen is not the tool to connect two ICs.
B that at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event that greatly reduced their numbers -------- ‘that ’ is the right connector ---correct choice.
C that sometime in the past our ancestors suffered an event so that their numbers were greatly reduced ------- altered notion; it looks as if the ancestors suffered a calamity in order to reduce their numbers.
D some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event from which their numbers were greatly reduced -------- conjugation of two ICs with hyphenation is wrong.
E some time in the past, that our ancestors suffered an event so as to reduce their numbers greatly, ------ same as in D

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 38

Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity ev [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 21:48
that at some time - Does this sound ok??
I thought its awkward so chose C. :(

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Expert Post
18 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 308

Kudos [?]: 488 [18] , given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity ev [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 20:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In answer choice (A) there is a problem with modification. (A) is implying that our ancestors greatly reduced their own numbers (this is incorrect because it was the event that greatly reduced ancestors). When we have an independent clause followed by a participle phrase (one that starts with a gerund and serves as an adjective clause), the participle phrase modifies the subject of the sentence.

In non-grammarese: 'ancestors' is the subject of the independent clause, 'at some time...' and because of the comma after event, we have the incorrect meaning. It was not the ancestors but an event that 'reduced their numbers.'

Therefore, we want to make sure that it is clear that 'event' is 'greatly reducing the numbers.' One way to fix that is by using the relative pronoun 'that.' In (B), we have 'an event that greatly reduced their numbers' that does a good job of correcting the error in (A).

Therefore (B) is the answer.

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 20

Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity ev [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 09:27
ChrisLele wrote:
In answer choice (A) there is a problem with modification. (A) is implying that our ancestors greatly reduced their own numbers (this is incorrect because it was the event that greatly reduced ancestors). When we have an independent clause followed by a participle phrase (one that starts with a gerund and serves as an adjective clause), the participle phrase modifies the subject of the sentence.

In non-grammarese: 'ancestors' is the subject of the independent clause, 'at some time...' and because of the comma after event, we have the incorrect meaning. It was not the ancestors but an event that 'reduced their numbers.'

Therefore, we want to make sure that it is clear that 'event' is 'greatly reducing the numbers.' One way to fix that is by using the relative pronoun 'that.' In (B), we have 'an event that greatly reduced their numbers' that does a good job of correcting the error in (A).

Use of 'that' in 'that greatly reduced their numbers" sounds good as you explained but how's the use of 'that' in "that at some time in the past.." justified. Please explain.
If "that at some time in the past.." were parallel to "that the genetic homogeneity..", shouldn't the sentence rather look like:
Some people believe that X and that Y.
The sentence as it looks to me actually is like this:
Some people believe something population bottleneck - definition of population bottleneck.

I rejected option B because 'that' in 'that at some time in the past...' sounded awkward and I got the question wrong :(
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [1] , given: 38

Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity ev [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 22:21
This post received
KUDOS
divineacclivity wrote:
ChrisLele wrote:

Use of 'that' in 'that greatly reduced their numbers" sounds good as you explained but how's the use of 'that' in "that at some time in the past.." justified. Please explain.
If "that at some time in the past.." were parallel to "that the genetic homogeneity..", shouldn't the sentence rather look like:
Some people believe that X and that Y.
The sentence as it looks to me actually is like this:
Some people believe something population bottleneck - definition of population bottleneck.

I rejected option B because 'that' in 'that at some time in the past...' sounded awkward and I got the question wrong :(

I had thought on the same lines initially (that X and that Y) - but closely looking at these two choices you would notice there is a clear change of meaning in the second choice (C)

we can replace 2nd "that" in B with "which" and sentence makes same sense. so its not ( that X and that Y)
B that at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event that greatly reduced their numbers

"so that" in this means "because of". It conveys as if the ancestors suffered an event to cause a reduction in their own numbers.
C that sometime in the past our ancestors suffered an event so that their numbers were greatly reduced

Hope it makes sense.

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [7] , given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 22:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
COMMA + VERBing should refer to the SUBJECT of the preceding clause. In A, reducing seems to refer to our ancestors, implying that OUR ANCESTORS were greatly reducing their numbers. The intended meaning here is that an EVENT greatly reduced their numbers. Eliminate A.

So that (in C) and so as (in E) imply PURPOSE. The result is a strange meaning: that our ancestors suffered for the PURPOSE of reducing their numbers. Not the intended meaning. Eliminate C and E.

In D, which seems to refer to an event, implying that our ancestors' numbers were reduced FROM an event -- a nonsensical meaning. Eliminate D.

The correct answer is B.

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 103

Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 23:49
Thanks a Lot PUNEETSCHDV :) U saved my day... this is the best explanation of the question available....

There are two pending items that need to be discussed in detail.
Usage of '--' and ' at some time'

Can some guru confirm if below points are correct:

some time: Unspecific time . I want to visit chicago sometime this year
At some time in the past : during some indefinite time in the past
at sometime in the past: same as above
some time: some is an adjective referring to time, quite a while
I’ve been spending some time thinking about income inequality for a piece I’m writing.
sometimes : occasionally

some time in the past -> is wrong ??

Regarding usage of '--':
Check the below link from grockit:
http://grockit.com/blog/gmat/2011/08/01/gmat-sentence-corrections-colons-and-dashes/
So if i interpret it correctly 'DASH'es quite flexible, so "-that at some time in the past " is same as "-at some time in the past"...
can some one confirm this..

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity ev [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 21:32
ChrisLele wrote:

I would like to contradict your explanation of -ING modifiers:

-ING can be used as

(1). Progressive tense : Rita is PLAYING
(2). Gerund: SWIMMING is a good exercise
(3). Adjective: The CAT SLEEPING on the mat is ill
(4). Adverb: Rita failed in the exam,forcing her to commit suicide

In the sentence (4). -ING is used as an adverb which adds to VERB "Failed" an Action.Moreover, there lies no confusion between "Ancestors" or "event" as to what -ING is referring to.However, the problem here is solely with the "SUFFERING".

SUFFERING never caused => reducing in number

"which" would have been appropriate here.

Rgds,
TGC

Rgds,
TGC!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 2

Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity ev [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 23:26
This post received
KUDOS
targetgmatchotu wrote:

Can you see if you can post an official example where above kind of construct is valid. It would be interesting to see.

targetgmatchotu wrote:
Moreover, there lies no confusion between "Ancestors" or "event" as to what -ING is referring to.

Actually if you read the OE (this is a OG question), it says: The agent or cause of reducing is unclear.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity ev [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 05:22
EducationAisle wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:

Can you see if you can post an official example where above kind of construct is valid. It would be interesting to see.

targetgmatchotu wrote:
Moreover, there lies no confusion between "Ancestors" or "event" as to what -ING is referring to.

Actually if you read the OE (this is a OG question), it says: The agent or cause of reducing is unclear.

Sir,

As requested , here it is from MGMAT SC GUIDE.

Verb (Progressive Tense)
Noun (Gerund)
Adjective (Present Participle)
Adverb (Present Participle)

She is FIXINGthe faucet.
FIXINGthe faucet is not fun.
The person FIXINGthe faucet is tired.
She crouched under the sink, FIXINGthe faucet.

Just copy pasted didn't align it ,apologies for the same.

Rgds,
TGC

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 2

Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 06:16
Sure no problem; when I had requested:

Can you see if you can post an official example where above kind of construct is valid.

By official example I meant questions from Official guides, GMATPreps etc. (these are called "official sources"), not MGMAT guides.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 06:44
EducationAisle wrote:
Sure no problem; when I had requested:

Can you see if you can post an official example where above kind of construct is valid.

By official example I meant questions from Official guides, GMATPreps etc. (these are called "official sources"), not MGMAT guides.

Sir,

I have been practicing from OG's these days.Whenever I will face a problem based on this will surely put up here.

Rgds,
TGC

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity ev [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2013, 04:40
ChrisLele wrote:

Hi,
I am bit confused about your explanation, I thought that a participle phrase (gerund) will modify the entire independent clause - in this case the fact that "our ancestors suffered an event"
Example (Taken from MGMAT just to make sure I don't introduce something estrange):
Crime has recently decreased in our neighborhood, leading to a rise in property values

I may be missing something in your explanation, so it will be great if you can expand a bit more on it.

I originally had chosen A, not thinking about the required parallelism: Anthropologist believed that x - that y. I didn't think it made sense to make those two clauses parallel because of the lack of 'and', and thus I figured that the clause after the dash ('=') was just emphasizing the definition of a 'population bottleneck'.

I hope this thread is not to old.

Thanks,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 99

Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2013, 04:38
Can some one explain use of from which??
Please quote some examples when to use that and fro which?

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Reviews Badge
Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2013, 06:35
e-Gmat-
could you please explain why D is wrong? is it just because of "-" and IC.

Thanks
amit
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 25

Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2013, 11:46
skamal7 wrote:
Can some one explain use of from which??
Please quote some examples when to use that and fro which?

Hi skamal7,

Check out my response here: the-criminologist-reported-that-it-is-not-uncommon-for-134387.html#p1283384
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 25

Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2013, 11:49
macjas wrote:
Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity evident in the world's people is the result of a "population bottleneck"-at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event, greatly reducing their numbers and thus our genetic variation.

A at some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event, greatly reducing their numbers
D some time in the past our ancestors suffered an event from which their numbers were greatly reduced
E some time in the past, that our ancestors suffered an event so as to reduce their numbers greatly,

Should the dash be underlined in A as well? Or am I missing something?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 20:58
macjas wrote:

according the "oxford advanced learners' dictionary", "so that" can be used to show purpose and result.

in c, if "so that " is used to show purpose, it is not logic. if "so that" is used to show result, it is not good because there is no "strong adjective" to use "so that". if we have "ancestors suffered an terrible event so that..." , c can be correct. and clearly, the intended meaning is "event causes reducing" .

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Current Student
Concentration: International Business, Finance
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 6

Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 22:29
This question can be solved by identifying two easy splits:
- Believe X - Believe X: the two X's should be parallel - "That the genetic..." should be parallel with " that at some time..."
Eliminate A, D & E
- "at some time" vs. "some time": we require a definite period of time, at some time answers the question "when? at some time"; A would have been correct if we had "sometime" instead of "some time"
Eliminate C

Answer: B
Re: Some anthropologists believe that the genetic homogeneity   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2013, 22:29