Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 2

"Sounding" [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2009, 21:13
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

92% (01:47) correct 8% (00:49) wrong based on 59 sessions
Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that take on different duties such as defending the entrance, acting as sentinels and to sound a warning at the approach of danger, and scouting outside the cave for new food and roosting sites.

(A) acting as sentinels and to sound

(B) acting as sentinels and sounding

(C) to act as sentinels and sound

(D) to act as sentinels and to sound

(E) to act as a sentinel sounding

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The only option looks right to me is B. It is the OA indeed.
However, my question is what "sounding" functions as? It can't be the parallelism of "acting" and " scouting" because of 2 "and" preceded "sounding" and "scouting". Therefore it must be a noun and parallel with "sentinels".
But IMO, an article is needed ("a sounding") or the plural should be used ("soundings").
We can't say "My properties include houses and CAR =>IMO: "My properties include houses and cars (or a car)" is better.
What do you think?
Thanks.

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/
http://gmatsentencecorrection.blogspot.com/

Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg(Evening),Booth (Evening)
WE 1: 5 Years
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 3

Re: "Sounding" [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2009, 21:26
Sounding is a verb with an -ing form. The verb Act should be parallel to the other verbs in the sentence -defending and scouting. Verb Sound should be parallel to Acting in the phrase - acting as sentinels and to sound a warning at the approach of danger.
Hence we use sounding and acting verb forms as in Answer Choice B.

Rock On

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: "Sounding" [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2009, 22:01
atish wrote:
Sounding is a verb with an -ing form. The verb Act should be parallel to the other verbs in the sentence -defending and scouting. Verb Sound should be parallel to Acting in the phrase - acting as sentinels and to sound a warning at the approach of danger.
Hence we use sounding and acting verb forms as in Answer Choice B.

I got the red part, but what "sounding" parallels with? (because there is an "and" preceded "sounding", "sounding" must parallel with something.
And my question is still the same as the one in the Spoiler.

Intern
Intern
Schools: All options are open

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: "Sounding" [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2009, 02:16
I think it is B because it follow parallalism.
7 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 204 [7] , given: 9

Re: "Sounding" [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2009, 02:53
This post received
KUDOS
sounding here is a present participle that modifies the previous clause "residents that take on different duties such as defending the entrance"

read the second part this way

residents that take on different duties such as defending the entrance, acting as sentinels and sounding a warning at the approach of danger, and scouting outside the cave for new food and roosting sites

defending is parallel to scouting

acting and sounding are parallel to each other and modify "defending the entrance". How do the residents defend the entrance? acting as sentinels and sounding a warning at the approach of danger.

Let me know if this helps.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: "Sounding" [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2009, 22:17
mikeCoolBoy wrote:
sounding here is a present participle that modifies the previous clause "residents that take on different duties such as defending the entrance"

residents that take on different duties such as defending the entrance, acting as sentinels and sounding a warning at the approach of danger, and scouting outside the cave for new food and roosting sites

acting and sounding are parallel to each other and modify "defending the entrance". How do the residents defend the entrance? acting as sentinels and sounding a warning at the approach of danger.

I got it now.
Thanks.
+1 for you :-D

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 9

Re: "Sounding" [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2009, 22:54
fall2009 wrote:
mikeCoolBoy wrote:

I got it now.
Thanks.
+1 for you :-D

you're welcome. Glad it helped
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 2

Re: "Sounding" [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2009, 03:18
IMO B

'acting' and 'sounding' are parallel

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Harvard (R2-applied), MIT (R2-applied)
WE 1: Military
WE 2: Social Entrepreneur
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: "Sounding" [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2010, 03:48
mikeCoolBoy wrote:

Dear Mike .....

While i totally agree with u that:
1. defending is parallel to scouting &
2. acting and sounding are parallel to each other

However, since, the second "acting and sounding" is a subordinate clause of "scouting" hence It should NOT be parallel to scouting ..... as making it parallel to scouting makes all 4 verbs independent of each other which is not warranted!

Hence i feel that by using D: "to act as sentinels & to sound" we are making "act and sound" parallel .... even though i agree that it does make it sound a little wierd.

What do feel on this ?? Or is there some flaw in my reasoning !??!! Kindly explain

Intern
Intern

Re: "Sounding" [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2010, 03:52
As a matter of fact ......

Just checked, this Qs is in the 2nd ed of Verbal review and the explanation says that ALL 4 words are paralllel !!!

That makes them independent.

But if that be the case, how can their be TWO "and"s in the option???

It should be A,B,C, D & E -- right ??

Or is there some exception where we can have A,B and C and D and E ??

Intern
Intern

Re: "Sounding" [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2010, 03:58
Oh ! I get it now ..........!!!!!!

Sorry for the third consecutive post though !!!!

Actually, even though logically, a sentence should be in the format
A,B,C, D & E
[where A= defending
B = acting
C = Sounding
D = Scouting
& E = Roosting !!]

However, this is an exception.

If u look at the sentence, they have already mentioned D & E as "and scouting" & "and roosting" in the NON_UNDERLINED part. So taking the GMAC to be right(!), we can parallel this structure!

So in order to parallel that we can have "acting as sentinels" and "sounding" separated by an "AND"

Hope i have made things clearer and not confused u all further ..!!! :)

Last edited by tgtharvard on 15 Jul 2010, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 5

Re: "Sounding" [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2010, 05:54
Can some one please explain why C is wrong?

Don;t say because B is // :)

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Intern
Intern

Re: "Sounding" [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2010, 06:59
Options C & D are essentially the same. The onlly difference being an additinal "to"

Now while C is not a wrong way of maintaining parallelism since the second "to" CAN be omitted; However, incase a sentence wiTH the extra "to" is ALSO given then that is better as the parallelism is MORE CLEAR !

So between the two, D is better than C !

And B is better than the both of them because of my posts above .... which i hope can make things clearer !!

Regards

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 6

Re: "Sounding" [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2010, 10:30
B for me.

thanks mikeCoolBoy. you made it so easy.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2011, 00:36
in second part of sentence there is 'warning"...thus first part to be || with this.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3677 [1] , given: 185

Re: Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2011, 14:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
We recently created a video solution for this question. For more video solutions, log in to your e-GMAT account and go to OG Verbal Solutions course.

http://vimeo.com/32296672

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

Re: Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 19:04
I picked B for this question:

The different duties must be expressed in parallel form - in this case, present participles.

A. Although "Acting" is parallel to defending and scouting, "to sound" is not parallel to "acting." Therefore, this answer choice is incorrect.

B. This answer choice is correct because parallelism is maintained in all present participles.

C. "to act" is not parallel to the other present participles.

D. Same as C

E. Same as C
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 57

Re: Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 05:09
The answer will be "B".

It is a simple case of Parallelism and it is only followed in Option B which makes "defending, acting, sounding, scouting and roosting" parallel.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-17-2013
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 22

Re: Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2013, 20:41
egmat wrote:
We recently created a video solution for this question. For more video solutions, log in to your e-GMAT account and go to OG Verbal Solutions course.

http://vimeo.com/32296672

Hi, My doubt here is that what is the parallel list here? Option 1 or Option 2?
Option 1:
1)defending
2)acting and sounding
3)scouting

Option 2:
1)defending
2)acting
3)sounding
4)scouting

Why do we need 'and' between acting & sounding when these are parallel to other 2 items in the list?

Or in other words what's wrong with this sentence -

Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that take on different duties such as defending the entrance, acting as sentinels, sounding a warning at the approach of danger, and scouting outside the cave for new food and roosting sites.

Thanks & Regards
Yodee

‘A good plan violently executed now is better than a
perfect plan executed next week.’

- General Georg S. Patton

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1702 [2] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 03:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This is a test of list parallelism, made tricky by mixing up with pseudo parallels

Th basic theory of list parallelism stipulates that it is important to identify the elements of the series first. Within each series, the last factor is always preceded by the word “and” which marks the end of the series.
If there are more than one series, then the last series by itself has to be again preceded by another “and”.
If there are more than one series in a passage, ensure that each of the series maintains its own parallel structure within its domain.

In the given text, we have two series.
1. One is the ‘defending’ series that includes acting as sentinels and sounding a warning
2. The other is the ‘scouting’ series that includes searching for new food and roosting

These two arms must be separated by an ‘and’; all choices do that and so no issue about it.
But it is the parallelism within each series that is presenting a problem here. As you may see,
Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that take on different duties such as defending the entrance, acting as sentinels and to sound a warning at the approach of danger, and scouting outside the cave for new food and roosting sites.

(A) Acting as sentinels and to sound --- acting and to sound is not parallel in the first series.
(B) acting as sentinels and sounding – perfect parallelism -- correct choice
(C) to act as sentinels and sound --- The infinitive spoils the parallelism since, the first duty is marked as defending and the other duties must also be in the same ing form rather than in infinitive form
(D) to act as sentinels and to sound --- same as C
(E) To act as a sentinel sounding --- same as C and D

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2013, 03:29