Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 11:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some experts believe that within the next few decades

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 48

Re: Got it right too.So sharing with all.Press kudos if you like [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 22:17
This post received
KUDOS
i too agree with dianamao... what's wrong with Option D. the explanation given above states tone mismatch.
the only reason that i could discard D was if there was a definite difference between Disease and Illness..

Live Life the Way YOU Love It !! :)

GmatPrep1 [10/09/2012] : 650 (Q42;V38) - need to make lesser silly mistakes.
MGMAT 1 [11/09/2012] : 640 (Q44;V34) - need to improve quant pacing and overcome verbal fatigue.

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 75

Re: Got it right too.So sharing with all.Press kudos if you like [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 22:22
(C) Each member of the particular group of illnesses is caused solely by dietary factors.

If not,then who will be able to completely avoid the particular group of illnesses?

(C) wins

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 75

Re: Got it right too.So sharing with all.Press kudos if you like [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 22:28
dianamao wrote:
I don't really get why D is wrong? The way I see it, is that if not all diseases have dietary causes or cures, then of course following a diet will not cure a disease since the disease was not caused by any particular (unhealthy) diet. I think D weakens the argument just as C does.

What am I missing here?

"Therefore, those people who follow the dietary standards based on that knowledge will be able to completely avoid the particular group of illnesses at issue."
[the disease(s) which is clearly mentioned as the consequence of dietary flawa, NOT ALL diseases ]

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Got it right too.So sharing with all.Press kudos if you like [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 22:43
hmmm, still don't get why D is incorrect?
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 560 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Got it right too.So sharing with all.Press kudos if you like [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 03:53
dianamao wrote:
hmmm, still don't get why D is incorrect?

Conclusion : "those people who follow the dietary standards based on that knowledge will be able to completely avoid the particular group of illnesses at issue"

The word "COMPLETELY" indicates that every single one of the "PARTICULAR" group of illnesses can be avoided totally.

Now Choice : D states "All diseases have some dietary causes or cures." Let us negate this assumption. Not all diseases have some dietary causes or cures. Does this kill the conclusion?? I think not because the conclusion clearly says THE PARTICULAR group of ilnesses. Which could very well mean that the conclusion only applies to those diseases which DO have dietary causes and cures.

Choice C : "Each member of the particular group of illnesses is caused solely by dietary factors." Let us negate this assumption. Not all members of the PARTICULAR group of illnesses are caused solely by dietary factors. This means that there are some members of the particular group which are not based on dietary factors and hence the following of the dietary standards might have no bearing on the occurence of these diseases. So the conclusion is killed.

So C is clearly the right answer. Hope its clear.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Got it right too.So sharing with all.Press kudos if you like [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 10:37
it's because you are confusing "disease" for "illness". D does weaken the argument but C does it more convincingly

dianamao wrote:
I don't really get why D is wrong? The way I see it, is that if not all diseases have dietary causes or cures, then of course following a diet will not cure a disease since the disease was not caused by any particular (unhealthy) diet. I think D weakens the argument just as C does.

What am I missing here?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.85
WE: Sales (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 3

Re: Got it right too.So sharing with all.Press kudos if you like [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 12:11
C Indeed.

The author of the conclusion assumes that dietary factors are the only means through which illneses can ocurr to people.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 489 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Some experts believe that within the next few decades [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 12:35
Expert's post
D is incorrect because it broadens the scope by saying all diseases. If you re-read the stimulus, then its clearly mentioned that we are talking about particular group of illnesses.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Got it right too.So sharing with all.Press kudos if you like [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 22:58
dianamao wrote:

What am I missing here?

Some experts believe that within the next few decades, we will be able to identify the dietary pitfalls that lead to a particular group of illnesses. This will allow researchers to discover which foods can prevent health problems, and also which foods lead to health problems. Therefore, those people who follow the dietary standards based on that knowledge will be able to completely avoid the particular group of illnesses at issue.

Conclusion is :
Therefore, those people who follow the dietary standards based on that knowledge will be able to completely avoid the particular group of illnesses at issue.

particular group of illness can be completely avoided on the basis of dietary standards, what if the a particular member of the group does not correlate to the dietary standards , in that case you cannot attribute the avoidance to dietary standard alone.

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15, NUS '16
GMAT Date: 08-27-2013
GPA: 3.46
WE: Project Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 54

Reviews Badge
Re: Some experts believe that within the next few decades [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 02:57
answer is 'c',since it is stated that some group of illness will be cured by dietary change

.........................................................................................
Please give me kudos if my posts help.

Director
Director
Followers: 111

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Some experts believe that within the next few decades [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 21:00
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Some experts believe that within the next few decades   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2014, 21:00