Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some geologists argue that if oil is as common in unsampled

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Oil rate [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2009, 13:24
reply2spg wrote:
Some geologists argue that if oil is as common in unsampled areas of the world as it is in those already sampled, our current estimate of reserves that exist underground must be multiplied by a factor of 10,000. From this we can conclude that we can meet the oil needs of the entire world for at least five centuries, even assuming that future consumption grows at an accelerating rate.

To reach the stated conclusion, the author must assume which of the following?

A) It is possible to recover the oil contained in unexplored areas of the world
B) The consumption rate for oil will not grow rapidly
C) Oil will remain an important energy source for at least 500 years
D) The world will achieve and maintain zero population growth
E) New technology will make oil discovery and drilling more feasible than ever before

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
A

E)wrong..it does not mention anywhere whether or not we can make oil discovery feasible or not
D)wrong..Future consumption growing at an accelerating rate will require some hand from the increasing population...loose assumption
C)wrong..Clearly it is not an assumption.
B)wrong..it refers to the consumption rate growing rapidly.
A)Correct..Stood out as an assumption to me while reading the first sentence.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Oil rate [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2009, 06:26
A is a sure shot answer, as far as B is concerned, the conclusion in the question considers the "exponential growth" fact already
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 58

Re: CR: Oil rate [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 06:38
Moss wrote:
I usually hate it when people argue the OA, but in this case I must join the ranks! The answer appears to be a clear A.

Agreed :)

Since it was an assumption question I wrote out my own brief assumption

"Assuming we can even get to or retrieve the reserves"

A is closest to my written assumption and makes sense.
Like everyone else said, B has already been assumed in the stimulus.

I'm trying to not just answer the problem but to explain how I came up with my answer. If I am incorrect or you have a better method please PM me your thoughts. Thanks!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q45 V16
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Oil rate [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 07:02
yea. A for me. B is already mentioned.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 74

CAT Tests
Re: CR: Oil rate [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2010, 01:39
Seems this question has been in discussion for quite some time and also features as "question of the day" for 30-dec-2010.

Here's my take:

reply2spg wrote:
Some geologists argue that if oil is as common in unsampled areas of the world as it is in those already sampled, our current estimate of reserves that exist underground must be multiplied by a factor of 10,000. From this we can conclude that we can meet the oil needs of the entire world for at least five centuries, even assuming that future consumption grows at an accelerating rate.

(A) It is possible to recover the oil contained in unexplored areas of the world. The author has given the amount of oil in unexplored areas (that is, equal to the current reserves) and then goes on to say by how much we should increase our oil reserve estimate in order to meet the need (including accelerated pace need) to meet future demands. So for this conclusion to be made, it is clear that the author is assuming that whatever quantity is there in unexplored areas, can be recovered made ready to meet demand. This is exactly what this option says. Good option choice. Now lets examine other choices.
(B) The consumption rate for oil will not grow rapid. I don't see how this is an assumption. Author clearly states in the premises that oil remains are sufficient to meet any demand for 500 years,
(C) Oil will remain an important energy source for at least 500 years. Whether oil is an important scope of energy is not the context of argument in any manner.
(D) The world will achieve and maintain zero population growth. Totally out of scope.
(E) New technology will make oil discovery and drilling more feasible than ever before. Nothing is stated about technology. May be the current technology is sufficient but only the areas are unexplored. Out of scope answer choice.

A is the best answer option here. I would say the OA is hugely debatable.

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 360

Kudos [?]: 1783 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: CR: Oil rate [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 04:54
Expert's post
I've changed OA in the first post.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Oil rate [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 07:57
a
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 18

Re: CR: Oil rate [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2011, 08:51
The answer is obviously A. why do you think it 's B?

Hung M.Tran
Faculty of Banking and Finance,
National Economics University of Vietnam

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/AndyTranHung

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Oil rate [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2011, 12:06
A
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Oil rate [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 20:40
negating A clearly crashes the conclusion here.
choice is between A and C, where C is a slight hyperbole here.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR: Oil rate [#permalink] New post 29 May 2011, 07:36
Easy one: A!
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Some geologists argue that if oil is as common in unsampled [#permalink] New post 06 May 2012, 19:35
+1 A

If it is impossible to recover the oil of the unsampled areas, we cannot conclude that we will have more oil in the future.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Some geologists argue that if oil is as common in unsampled [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 01:51
reply2spg wrote:

(A) It is possible to recover the oil contained in unexplored areas of the world
(B) The consumption rate for oil will not grow rapidly
(C) Oil will remain an important energy source for at least 500 years
(D) The world will achieve and maintain zero population growth
(E) New technology will make oil discovery and drilling more feasible than ever before

B. Author is saying that future consumption will grow at a rapid rate. So this is wrong.
C. Time oil will remain = Total amount of reserves*Rate at which reserves are used up every year. No information is provided about this. Moreover, it is not an assumption. Assumption should reflect reserves, of course oil will remain important source of energy
D. Nothing has been said about population. Moreover, if world will achieve zero population growth and given that future consumption will grow at an accelerating rate, so how can that be true, in the face of zero population growth? out of scope...
E. Nothing has been said about technology which will make it feasible. Out.
A. Author has said about probability of oil in unsampled areas of the world, then it must be based on the assumption that oil could be recovered in unsampled areas of the world. Right choice.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Some geologists argue that if oil is as common in unsampled [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2012, 01:30
Clear A, the last sentence states even though the demand for oil grows at an acclerating rate, the supplies wud last .So,B can't be the answer. :?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 3.3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: Some geologists argue that if oil is as common in unsampled [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 00:30
Easiest one ever encountered I would say -
a) Simply yes, unless you can recover the oil, entire para just goes for a ride.
b) Contradicts the stated assumption author has made in the para.
c) Entire para talks about established need of oil.Also, the para says 'can' meet, doesnot say'will' meet.
d) Completely beyond scope of the para context, no connection mentioned between growing population and enerygy consumption
e) Not related to the para context as it never says if existing technology has some challenges because of thish oil in unsampled area could not be harnessed.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Oil rate [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 09:48
tania wrote:
my choice is A. Can someone explain why ans B is correct?

I choose E because A is in present tense while the conclusion forsees something possible in the future. I understand why E is wrong but it seems that A is not "so" right... Help anyone?

Regards.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 1262 [0], given: 119

Premium Member
Re: CR: Oil rate [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 13:34
ronaldgoal wrote:
tania wrote:
my choice is A. Can someone explain why ans B is correct?

I choose E because A is in present tense while the conclusion forsees something possible in the future. I understand why E is wrong but it seems that A is not "so" right... Help anyone?

Regards.

Hi ronald

A does not mean present tense only. A says: It is possible to recover the oil contained in unexplored areas of the world. It is possible to use present tense to tell future events. "Possible" means "is able but not sure".
For example: It is possible to live in Mars. Who knows when human can live in Mars? Probably now, or even in the next 50 years.

You can see this kind of reasoning over and over again in GMAT.

The form is
A makes claim that if A does X, the result will be Y
A concludes that the result Y is true.
The assumption is: A has ability to do X.

Because if you negate the assumption: A has no ability to do X ==> The conclusion "Y is true" fails.

For example:
A company's CEO says if he fires 1000 employees, the company's profit will increase 10%
The CEO concludes that: Next year, he will fire 1000 employees to improve company's profit.
Assumption: the CEO has ability to fire 1000 employees. What if the law requires that a company not be able to fire 1000 employees in 1 year. ==> The CEO's conclusion is broken.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Some geologists argue that if oil is as common in unsampled [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 08:09
reply2spg wrote:

Hello all, here is a possible explanation on why the OA is A.

Breakdown:
Tone of the argument is "soft," therefore the answers need to stay away from making any strong assumptions
There is just as much oil in unsampled areas of the world as in sampled areas of the world = possibly more oil for everyone!
The scientists who have studied this therefore believe it is possible to get this oil in order to make their conclusion - "From this we can conclude that we can meet the oil needs of the entire world for at least five centuries, even assuming that future consumption grows at an accelerating rate."

Answer breakdown:
(A) It is possible to recover the oil contained in unexplored areas of the world - This initially sounds good. Don't eliminate it at first. States that in order for the scientists to make their case that the oil needs can fuel the entire world for >500years, they must truly believe that they can reach these unsampled oil areas (reserves).
(B) The consumption rate for oil will not grow rapidly - The last sentence in the argument, even assuming that future consumption grows at an accelerating rate, states the opposite of this answer choice. Eliminate it immediately as a possibility.
(C) Oil will remain an important energy source for at least 500 years - If oil didn't remain an important energy source for 500 years, the projected amount of oil in the unsampled areas would serve the world for a period >500 years, due to less consumption of the oil. Eliminate this choice as it simply restates something already stated (therefore is not an assumption - something not stated within the argument).
(D) The world will achieve and maintain zero population growth - This one kept me thinking for a few extra seconds; however, I eventually eliminated it because within the argument it states that future consumption is going to grow at an increasing rate. This answer choice is just another way of saying something already stated in the argument (therefore is not an assumption - something not stated within the argument).
(E) New technology will make oil discovery and drilling more feasible than ever before - Out of scope. Technology was not addressed within the initial argument, hence why I had eliminated it.

Answer = A

Hope this helps anyone who may of been on the fence between any of the answers. Let me know what you thought of my logic for breaking this critical reasoning question down and whether this post was helpful.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Some geologists argue that if oil is as common in unsampled [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 18:09
A) Correct. If it's impossible to extract the unexplored oil, the argument is damaged
B) That the consumption rate won't grow rapidly supports the argument. However, without that, the argument is still valid and thus, choice B is not an assumption
C) The importance of oil as a source of energy has no bearing on whether we can meet the oil need of the entire world.
D) It supports the argument, but not necessarily true. Because of the unexplored huge amount of reserves, the argument could be valid even if the population growth is higher than zero.
E) Same reason as D.
Re: Some geologists argue that if oil is as common in unsampled   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2014, 18:09