Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1139 [57]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5422 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Re: Some good cooks are gourmet cooks who pride themselves on always using [#permalink]
This question is on Extreme cases. IMO D is correct.

A) Most good cooks do not use extravagantly rich ingredients. [Can be true]
(B) Everyone who enjoys preparing and serving food is a good cook. [An extreme case but can be true]
(C) More good cooks who use extravagantly rich ingredients are big eaters than are good cooks who do not use such ingredients. [Can be true]
(D) There are fewer good cooks who enjoy serving and preparing food than there are good cooks who are big eaters. [Cannot be true as we are not given such facts in the stimulus]
(E) Gourmet cooks, fast-food cooks, and cooks who are health food enthusiasts are all big eaters. [Can be true]
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [3]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Re: Some good cooks are gourmet cooks who pride themselves on always using [#permalink]
Kudos
my choice was E but after reading the explanation its D.

E was attractive because we need to look for the omission of the word 'GOOD'. If we miss that, we might chose the wrong answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 630 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:ISB
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 620  Q51  V23
Send PM
Re: Some good cooks are gourmet cooks who pride themselves on [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
gmatcracker2010 wrote:
Some good cooks are gourmet cooks who pride themselves on always using extravagantly rich ingredients in elaborate recipes. Some good cooks can be characterized as fast-food cooks. They may use rich ingredients as long as the recipes are easy to follow and take little time. Other good cooks are health food enthusiasts, who are concerned primarily with the nutritional value of food. But even though not all good cooks are big eaters, they all enjoy preparing and serving food.
If the information in the passage is true, which one of the following CANNOT be true?

(A) Most good cooks do not use extravagantly rich ingredients.
(B) Everyone who enjoys preparing and serving food is a good cook.
(C) More good cooks who use extravagantly rich ingredients are big eaters than are good cooks who do not use such ingredients.
(D) There are fewer good cooks who enjoy serving and preparing food than there are good cooks who are big eaters.
(E) Gourmet cooks, fast-food cooks, and cooks who are health food enthusiasts are all big eaters.

OA is

CAn somebody please explain the difference between B and D?

My answer is D

last premise states "But even though not all good cooks are big eaters, they all enjoy preparing and serving food".

Lets take example.... there are 100 good cooks

lets take big eaters be 70 as it is given that not all good cooks are big eaters.

All enjoy preparing and serving food so the number will be 100.

Now coming to option D it says

"There are fewer good cooks who enjoy serving and preparing food than there are good cooks who are big eaters".

Obviously not possible due to reasons mentioned above.

Hope this helps...!!!
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [4]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gurpreetsingh wrote:
my choice was E but after reading the explanation its D.

E was attractive because we need to look for the omission of the word 'GOOD'. If we miss that, we might chose the wrong answer.

We know that "not all good cooks are big eaters", or in other words, that 'some good cooks are not big eaters'. E is tempting if you assume that the stem gives an exhaustive list of the types of good cooks, but there's no reason to think that the classification of cooks in the stem is comprehensive. There might be a fourth category of good cook that is never mentioned in the passage: It may be, say, that some good cooks are 'decorative cooks' who only enjoy cooking because they like arranging food artistically on a plate. Further, it may be that these 'decorative cooks' are the only cooks who are not big eaters, while all other cooks are big eaters. So E can be true.

D cannot possibly be true. We're told in the stem that all good cooks enjoy serving food, while not all are big eaters, so the number who enjoy serving food is greater than the number who are big eaters.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [2]
Given Kudos: 39
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
tenaman10 wrote:
Some good cooks are gourmet cooks who pride themselves on always using extravagantly rich ingredients in elaborate recipes. Some good cooks can be characterized as fast-food cooks. They may use rich ingredients as long as the recipes are easy to follow and take little time. Other good cooks are health food enthusiasts, who are concerned primarily with the nutritional value of food. But even though not all good cooks are big eaters, they all enjoy preparing and serving food.

If the information in the passage is true, which one of the following CANNOT be true?

(A) Most good cooks do not use extravagantly rich ingredients.
(B) Everyone who enjoys preparing and serving food is a good cook.
(C) More good cooks who use extravagantly rich ingredients are big eaters than are good cooks who do not use such ingredients.
(D) There are fewer good cooks who enjoy serving and preparing food than there are good cooks who are big eaters.
(E) Gourmet cooks, fast-food cooks, and cooks who are health food enthusiasts are all big eaters.

Okay,
It's been a long time no one posted a response to the question.
I just tried the question today and here is what I think about it

Lets say All good cooks = Gourmet cooks + Fast-food cooks + Health food cooks + OTHER Good cooks
(A) Most good cooks do not use extravagantly rich ingredients. => Gourmet cooks are not most of the lot. Argument does not say anything about Gourmet cooks proportion in the total cook population. So their population could be 80%(in that case it is the most = So CAN BE TRUE) or may be 10% (in that case it would be least=So CAN'T BE TRUE).
(B)Everyone who enjoys preparing and serving food is a good cook. => It is talking about the population as a whole and we do not know any of it.So CAN BE OR CAN'T BE TRUE
(C)More good cooks who use extravagantly rich ingredients are big eaters than are good cooks who do not use such ingredients. =>Again we do not know anything about the proportion of cooks with in COOK POPULATION .So we can not compare them. they could certainly be true. OR could certainly not be true.
(D)There are fewer good cooks who enjoy serving and preparing food than there are good cooks who are big eaters. =>
Well here we go . We do not know about the individual cook population type .But from the last line of the argument "But even though not all good cooks are big eaters, they all enjoy preparing and serving food." => THEY ALL = All good cooks = Gourmet cooks + Fast-food cooks + Health food cooks + OTHER Good cooks
AND This number i.e. THEY ALL > BIG EATER COOKS
And the Option says just the opposite i.e. THEY ALL < BIG EATER COOKS
AND That for 100% CAN NOT BE TRUE
(E) We do not need to think about This option as we have got our answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 2.97
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Although I know OA is D, I am still confused between B and D.

D is clearly incorrect.
But I am not able to categorize B under could be true or must be true. And thus feel B is also incorrect.

Stimulus states, If somebody is a good cook --> He/She will enjoy preparing and serving the food.
Thus, contrapositive would be, If He/she doesn't enjoy preparing and serving the food --> He/she is not a good cook [Reverse+Negation]

B option states, Everyone who enjoys preparing and serving the food --> is a good cook [case of Mistaken Reversal]
and Hence this cannot be true.

Please let me know the genuine reason for rejecting B.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM