Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 06:43

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some good cooks are gourmet cooks who pride themselves on

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Some good cooks are gourmet cooks who pride themselves on [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 00:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (02:23) correct 61% (01:15) wrong based on 432 sessions
Some good cooks are gourmet cooks who pride themselves on always using extravagantly rich ingredients in elaborate recipes. Some good cooks can be characterized as fast-food cooks. They may use rich ingredients as long as the recipes are easy to follow and take little time. Other good cooks are health food enthusiasts, who are concerned primarily with the nutritional value of food. But even though not all good cooks are big eaters, they all enjoy preparing and serving food.

If the information in the passage is true, which one of the following CANNOT be true?

(A) Most good cooks do not use extravagantly rich ingredients.
(B) Everyone who enjoys preparing and serving food is a good cook.
(C) More good cooks who use extravagantly rich ingredients are big eaters than are good cooks who do not use such ingredients.
(D) There are fewer good cooks who enjoy serving and preparing food than there are good cooks who are big eaters.
(E) Gourmet cooks, fast-food cooks, and cooks who are health food enthusiasts are all big eaters.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"CEO in making"

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good Cooks [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 02:25
I will go with D.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Good Cooks [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 02:26
It's D for me.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

Re: Good Cooks [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 02:59
B for me.

It does not imply anywhere that " Everyone who enjoys preparing and serving food is a good cook."

Otherwise I would have been consdiered a good cook:)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good Cooks [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 03:53
My answer is D as well.
"But even though not all good cooks are big eaters, they all enjoy preparing and serving food."

D) There are fewer good cooks who enjoy serving and preparing food than there are good cooks who are big eaters.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Re: Good Cooks [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 14:37
tenaman10 wrote:
Some good cooks are gourmet cooks who pride themselves on always using extravagantly rich ingredients in elaborate recipes. Some good cooks can be characterized as fast-food cooks. They may use rich ingredients as long as the recipes are easy to follow and take little time. Other good cooks are health food enthusiasts, who are concerned primarily with the nutritional value of food. But even though not all good cooks are big eaters, they all enjoy preparing and serving food.
If the information in the passage is true, which one of the following CANNOT be true?
(C) More good cooks who use extravagantly rich ingredients are big eaters than are good cooks who do not use such ingredients.
(D) There are fewer good cooks who enjoy serving and preparing food than there are good cooks who are big eaters.
(E) Gourmet cooks, fast-food cooks, and cooks who are health food enthusiasts are all big eaters.

I'll go with D as para says "they all enjoy preparing and serving food.".
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good Cooks [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 20:39
E.

Question says - "But even though not all good cooks are big eaters, they all enjoy preparing and serving food."
Option E saya - "Gourmet cooks, fast-food cooks, and cooks who are health food enthusiasts are all big eaters."
There is a direct contradiction of facts. E can not be true. we can not say for sure that all good cooks are Big eaters.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Re: Good Cooks [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 21:18
tenaman10 wrote:

I think I would go with (E). The info states "NOT all good cooks are big eaters" - from this statement we can also infer that not "ALL" cooks are big eaters (regardless of whether they're good). Statement (E) suggests that not only are the 'good' gourmet, fast-food, & health-food cooks ALL big eaters, but also cooks who do not fit into the 'good' category are ALL big eaters as well. This is impossible according to the info given... or at least less likely to be true than any other choice.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Re: Good Cooks [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 21:31
Hmm... looking back on other responses, (D) kind of makes sense too... I'm 100% confident on (E) now.

Viewing (D) from a slightly mathematical perspective:

Every value in the given set "good cooks" enjoy prepping & serving, but not all values in the same set are big eaters.
So logically subset "enjoyment" > subset "big eater".
(D) contradicts the info by turning the inequality sign around.

One reason to eliminate (E) might be the fact that it omits the word "good" before the word "cook", perhaps "cooks" & "good cooks" are two distinct categories, and therefore (E) might be out of scope?

On the other hand, the "out of scope" argument doesn't quite make sense, because one could logically assume that the category of "GOOD cooks" should be a subset of the category "cooks".

(E) certainly still has its merits for being not true according to the given info...

OA & OE anyone?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good Cooks [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 21:51
Subdivision of good cooks:
1) Gourmet cooks: Use extravagantly rich ingredients in elaborate recipes.
2) Fast food cooks: Use rich ingredients as longs as recipes are easy to follow and less time consuming.
3) Health food enthusiasts: Concerned with nutritional value.
All good cooks enjoy preparing and serving food, but they might not be big eaters.

(A) Most good cooks do not use extravagantly rich ingredients. If most good cooks might be of 2nd and 3rd type.
(B) Everyone who enjoys preparing and serving food is a good cook. All good cooks enjoy preparing and serving, but all who enjoy preparing and serving need not be good cooks.
(C) More good cooks who use extravagantly rich ingredients are big eaters than are good cooks who do not use such ingredients. If most good cooks are of the 1st type.
(D) There are fewer good cooks who enjoy serving and preparing food than there are good cooks who are big eaters. All good cooks enjoy preparing and serving (as mentioned), therefore, even if all are big eater as well, their no.s would be equal. It can never be possible that big eater> cooks who enjoy preparing and serving.
(E) Gourmet cooks, fast-food cooks, and cooks who are health food enthusiasts are all big eaters. Could be possible.

Although both 'B' and 'D' look incorrect, I would go still go with 'D' because that seems more improbable.

Please anybody, give a response which make 'B' or 'D', a better answer than the other.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good Cooks [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2009, 00:32
I went for E.
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good Cooks [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2009, 05:13
I will now go for D, after reading.

B can be true as not contradicted in the stimuli.
D is definitely getting contradicted as it is clearly suggested that all goods like to prepare and serve, so they can't be fewer to the ones who are not big eaters.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Good Cooks [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 05:47
I went with option B bt OA says its D. I find B to be incorrect.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Good Cooks [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 06:59
I took E, originally. But reading more closely, it has to be D. It says clearly that all like to prepare and serve food.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good Cooks [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 07:03
Yeah. I had to read this 2x but it’s definitely D.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 5

Re: Good Cooks [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 09:03
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Has to be D.

(A) Most good cooks do not use extravagantly rich ingredients. This could be true or false, the arguement doesn't mention any proportion of those that use rich ingredients, as to those that do not
(B) Everyone who enjoys preparing and serving food is a good cook. This could be true or false based on the paragraph. Of course in my own experience, this is false. Can't answer based on my own experiences
(C) More good cooks who use extravagantly rich ingredients are big eaters than are good cooks who do not use such ingredients. This could also be true or false. The arugumetn does not mention anything regarding proportion
(D) There are fewer good cooks who enjoy serving and preparing food than there are good cooks who are big eaters.ALL good cooks enjoy serving and preparing food, so it cannot be true that there are fewer of them than anything.
(E) Gourmet cooks, fast-food cooks, and cooks who are health food enthusiasts are all big eaters.Never addressed. Could be true or false
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Good Cooks [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 14:57
(A) Most good cooks do not use extravagantly rich ingredients.-
(D) There are fewer good cooks who enjoy serving and preparing food than there are good cooks who are big eaters- Correct (Stem says that all good cooks enjoy preparing and serving food, so number of big eater cooks cannot exceed)
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Good Cooks [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 02:45

D - the only answer that remain with the scope of information in the stimulus i.e.all good cooks and their habits - big eaters and enjoy preparing and serving food.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Good Cooks [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 16:37
D is the best of them all- although i went for E initially.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: Good Cooks [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2010, 08:03
Thought B on first reading... but re-reading the argument proved it to be incorrect answer.

D is the correct one.... A toughie though.
Re: Good Cooks   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2010, 08:03