Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 16:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some governments have tried to make alcohol and tobacco less

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Some governments have tried to make alcohol and tobacco less [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 21:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (02:31) correct 25% (01:25) wrong based on 57 sessions
Some governments have tried to make alcohol and tobacco less attractive to consumers by regulating what can be shown in advertisements for these products, rather than by banning advertising of them altogether. However, the need to obey the letter of these restrictions has actually stimulated advertisers to create advertisements that are more inventive and humorous than they were prior to the restrictions’ introduction.
which of the following, if true, would, in conjunction with the statements above, best support the conclusion that the government policy described above fails to achieve its objective?
(A) Because of the revenues gained from the sale of alcohol and tobacco, governments have no real interest in making these products less attractive to consumers.
(B) Advertisers tend to create inventive and humorous advertisements only if they have some particular reason to do so.
(C) Banning advertising of alcohol and tobacco is a particularly effective way of making these products less attractive to consumers.
(D) With the policy in place, advertisements for alcohol and tobacco have become far more inventive and humorous than advertisements for other kinds of products.
(E) The more inventive an advertisement is, the more attractive it makes the advertised product appear.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 269

CAT Tests
Re: Some governments have tried to make alcohol and tobacco less [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 02:10
+1 E

It is a strengthen type question

Premise - Some governments have tried to make alcohol and tobacco less attractive to consumers by regulating what can be shown in advertisements for these products, rather than by banning advertising of them altogether

Conclusion - the need to obey the letter of these restrictions has actually stimulated advertisers to create advertisements that are more inventive and humorous than they were prior to the restrictions’ introduction

Anything which strengthen the conclusion is our answer

(E) The more inventive an advertisement is, the more attractive it makes the advertised product appear (The government regulates the advertisement of alcohol and tobacco to make it look less attractive. To negate this effect the alcohol and tobacco companies start attracting customers by making an advertisement more inventive)

:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 281

CAT Tests
Re: Some governments have tried to make alcohol and tobacco less [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 01:24
This post received
KUDOS
+1 for E.

E tells that if the advedrtisement is more inventive it makes the product more attractive. So, the whole purpose is defeated here. The regulations laid out are of no use. Hence I go with E

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Re: Some governments have tried to make alcohol and tobacco less   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2012, 01:24