Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Re: Some guidance greatly needed [#permalink]
Expert Reply
eoinhmckenna wrote:

Thank you Namita,

Well the FT MBA is due to a few reasons. One, my partner is a doctor and she is looking at 2 years in the US as a part of her training. It fits into my time frame for finishing my degree and the locations of good hospitals seem to also be where good business schools are. Two, I am really enjoying study and would love a full time experience. And three, I want to move into a different industry. I guess thats the main reason for my choice.

With regard to your second point, is it reasonable to apply with the express purpose on changing career? Would that put me out of the running for a top school?

Thanks

Eoin

The expression of the intent to change careers is not wrong. It is your personal decision and you would have your reasons for it. In any case, most people do MBA to do something different than what they were doing before.

What the adcom will keenly look for however is whether you have done your homework in evaluating and establishing the feasibility of the transition. Companies have a typical mindset and they want talent with as close a fit as possible in terms of experience and skills to their requirement. Keeping that in mind, a transition to finance/ financial services may be done if you start with financing of fitness equipment. Your domain knowledge if the fitness industry would be put to immediate use there. In some time you can move into something else. After all the same money finances an equipment whether it is for gyms of for a factory. The net of it is that a research based approach in your application such as I described will convince the adcom of your success in acheiving your goals and will be seen in positive light. What you are able to achieve once you are in the b-school is entirely upto your capabilities. Who knows you may change your mind and decide to get back to fitness.

Namita
https://www.mbadecoder.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Namita
GMAT Club Bot