Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 04:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some mathematicians argue that to permit a candidate to win

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 8

Some mathematicians argue that to permit a candidate to win [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 14:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

38% (02:05) correct 63% (01:21) wrong based on 127 sessions
Some mathematicians argue that to permit a candidate to win an election because they have won a plurality vote is like ranking a student who earned three A's and two F's higher than one who got two A's and three B's

to permit a candidate to win an election because they have won a plurality vote is like ranking a student
permitting a candidate to win an election because they have won a plurality of votes is like ranking a student
permitting candidates to win elections because they have won a plurality of votes is like to rank a student
permitting a candidate to win elections because they have won a plurality of votes is like ranking a student
to permit candidates to win elections because they have won a plurality of votes is like ranking students
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Re: SC - 700 level - students [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 16:28
to permit a candidate to win an election because they have won a plurality vote is like ranking a student
permitting a candidate to win an election because they have won a plurality of votes is like ranking a student
permitting candidates to win elections because they have won a plurality of votes is like to rank a student
permitting a candidate to win elections because they have won a plurality of votes is like ranking a student
to permit candidates to win elections because they have won a plurality of votes is like ranking students

C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 20

Re: SC - 700 level - students [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 19:24
bschool83 wrote:
Some mathematicians argue that to permit a candidate to win an election because they have won a plurality vote is like ranking a student who earned three A's and two F's higher than one who got two A's and three B's

Actually nothing seems right here, are you sure its posted right?
i think actual sentence should be -
Some mathematicians argue that permitting candidates to win elections because they have won a plurality of votes is like ranking a student who earned three A’s and two F’s higher than one who got two A’s and three B’s.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC - 700 level - students [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 19:30
+1 for C
"they" incorrectly uses in this sentence.

Regards,
Nagesh
My GMAT Study Plan: my-gmat-study-plan-112833.html
Idioms List : gmat-idioms-104283.html?hilit=idioms#p813231
--------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if you like my posts

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 37

Re: SC - 700 level - students [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 21:29
I will go with E here.

What is the OA?

Crick
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 269

Kudos [?]: 1722 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: SC - 700 level - students [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 06:30
Expert's post
I am afraid something is not tallying here. Can the original poster enlighten us? What are the OA and OE from the source? Between C and E, which are the real contenders, at least in one choice, it should be ‘to permit and like to rank’ or ‘permitting and like ranking’; But Kaplan may think otherwise.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

Re: SC - 700 level - students [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 11:37
I agree something is not right about this question.

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Re: SC - 700 level - students [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 11:52
E is not a contender --- look at the last part of the non-underlined sentence carefully -- "higher than ONE"....so we are comparing a student who got 3A's and 2F's with ONE who got 2A's and 3B's.

Choice C is the best of the lot -- actually a relatively easy question because of the subject verb agreement (Candidate and They) ---so only E and C remain. Even choice C is a bit of a clumsy and clunky sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: SC - 700 level - students [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 11:55
daagh wrote:
I am afraid something is not tallying here. Can the original poster enlighten us? What are the OA and OE from the source? Between C and E, which are the real contenders, at least in one choice, it should be ‘to permit and like to rank’ or ‘permitting and like ranking’; But Kaplan may think otherwise.

Ha! Diplomatically played by the former Kaplan instructor...I agree with you completely. Parallel markers seem to be off and the sentence sounds awful.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

Re: SC - 700 level - students [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 11:57
DevilDoggNC wrote:
E is not a contender --- look at the last part of the non-underlined sentence carefully -- "higher than ONE"....so we are comparing a student who got 3A's and 2F's with ONE who got 2A's and 3B's.

Choice C is the best of the lot -- actually a relatively easy question because of the subject verb agreement (Candidate and They) ---so only E and C remain. Even choice C is a bit of a clumsy and clunky sentence.

In C, shouldn't permitting and to rank be in parallel?

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: SC - 700 level - students [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 14:17
sgupta0827 wrote:
DevilDoggNC wrote:

In C, shouldn't permitting and to rank be in parallel?

I think so -- but the one mitigating factor is that SC is about picking the "best among the 5 choices" --- so I guess if the question is correct as written -- choice C would, in my opinion, make the most sense. But, as I said before -- it's a clumsy sentence. Maybe the question was copied incorrectly -- I don't know.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC - 700 level - students [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 16:37
I had picked E considering the parallelism only... But looking at the subject verb agreement E looks incorrect too... Source of the Q plz.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC - 700 level - students [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 23:00
I think all is fine in C.

permitting candidates to win ... is like to rank ...
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIM
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: SC - 700 level - students [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 03:56
After 5 minutes,
I got +1 for C best among all.
-> Please type question correctly and underline properly
-> This question was an eye opener for me because they may be a chance when I have to select an option even if nothing seems to be right.

* An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
** Every single second counts.
*** One KUDO earned is One step closer to GMAT. Help me in getting closer to GMAT.
**** i-invite-you-in-my-gmat-journey-121396.html.

Test Description_______Date____Total___Quant_____ Verbal
GMAT PREP1_____________________610
GMAX online test 1____29.07.2011__540_____43________19
MGMAT CAT 1_________03.09.2011__580____42________28
MGMAT CAT 2_________02.10.2011__690____48________36
GMAX online test 2_____16.10.2011__640____48________32
MGMAT CAT 3_________23.11.2011__670____47________34
Veritas free CAT______ 31.10.2011___630___ 46________33
MGMAT CAT 4_________06.11.2011__690____48________36
MGMAT CAT 5_________13.11.2011__660____46________34
MGMAT CAT 6_________19.11.2011__680____51________33
GMAT PREP2__________23.11.2011__680
GMAT Exam___________24.11.2011__690____50________34

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: Some mathematicians argue that to permit a candidate to win [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 12:39
E is still correct with "students". C sounds terrible with permitting. Excellent question BTW...
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 16

Re: Some mathematicians argue that to permit a candidate to win [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 23:10
I will go with C

and when you look at optiopn E it is mentioned "ranking a students" anf after that you see only one person being compared so it should be student and it is correctly stated in C

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Some mathematicians argue that to permit a candidate to win [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 16:52
definitely C. They sticks out like a sore thumb in all of the choices
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 51

Re: Some mathematicians argue that to permit a candidate to win [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 20:38
option C seems to be the closest .It cannot be E because the 'one' in E refers to a single student .Hence in E there is a subject verb agreement .

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 7

Re: Some mathematicians argue that to permit a candidate to win [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 03:04
Go with C

Correct Subject Verb Agreement and in parallel
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 7

Re: Some mathematicians argue that to permit a candidate to win [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 03:04
Go with C

Correct Subject Verb Agreement and in parallel
Re: Some mathematicians argue that to permit a candidate to win   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2012, 03:04