Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some noob questions pertaining to JD -> MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Boston U '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Some noob questions pertaining to JD -> MBA [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 11:27
Hey everyone, I apologize in advance for the noob questions, but I'm pretty new to the world of MBA admissions.

I'm clueless after browsing through the school profiles, seeing everyone with the same numbers being dinged and accepted. This is all new to me since JD admissions were entirely number based. What exactly does it take to get into a top business school? Why do applicants with seemingly great numbers and decent work experience not get accepted?

Would former corporate law experience coupled with a 3.5 undergrad gpa and decent GMAT score be enough to get me into a top B school? In all honesty I'm in law school now, which I enjoy and I want to work on the law side of things, however Business school has always been a pipe dream and something I know I'd be interested in pursuing further down the road. I've considered a JD/MBA program, however my school has a fairly high ranked law school and low ranked Business school, so I think it would be best to hold off.

Or would it make more sense to just discontinue the JD and look for work experience that could lead to the MBA on it's own? I'm just worried I wouldn't be able to find meaningful experience for a top school coming from a liberal arts major at a state university in Florida.

Thank you!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 37

Re: Some noob questions pertaining to JD -> MBA [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 19:18
hey buddy, don't worry about asking 'noob' questions - everyone starts somewhere.

For you, it's not going to be about getting good grades and all that for b-school. The biggest challenge for you will be - why MBA? Think about it. AdComs view thousands of these applications every calendar year and there are so many potential applicants who can be just as successful as the next one. Then all of a sudden, adcoms pick up an application that has a JD on it. What would be their reaction? I think the first thing they're going to think about is "why is this guy wanting an MBA when he/she already has a JD?" "If the JD wasn't what he/she wanted, why in the world did he/she go for it and complete it?" These questions then lead to how an applicant may not be as focused (career or life) as the other person who went to BYU for undergrad, worked at JPMorgan for 4 years, then applied to business school to transition into a life as a consultant. Do you see what I'm saying here? So the hardest thing for you is to explain your reasonings behind getting a JD.

Former corporate law, 3.5 GPA, and a decent GMAT score are key combinations to business school. As long as the applicant is able to clearly articulate why he/she needs an MBA at this point in life. I know doctors who are going back to get an MBA, but they're certainly a minority (perhaps by choice, not selectivity). And even with those numbers and experience, a lot of it has to do with luck as well. Again, you're competing with not just hundreds of applicants who are applying to top b-school every year, but thousands and thousands (Harvard's inching ever closer to 10,000 applicants). It's really a crapshoot for most. To not get lost in the shuffle is a good way to put it. Even if you have stellar academics, awesome work experience, and a killer GMAT score, it doesn't mean anything unless you're not somehow "lost" in that shuffle of thousands of applications.

Feel free to ask more questions about b-school admission. You're absolutely right about law school being number-based (as well as medical school). B-school is really another beast. A score of 40 MCAT and a 3.9 GPA will pretty much mean that this person will get accepted to one of the best medical schools in the nation. A 750 GMAT and a 3.9 doesn't automatically translate to a top 10 b-school, simply because there are way too many other variables that play into the b-school application (work experience, letters, essays, to name a few).

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Boston U '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Some noob questions pertaining to JD -> MBA [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 20:06
Thank you very much! That's exactly what I needed to know. You all are much more welcoming than the law school forums :lol:
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 37

Re: Some noob questions pertaining to JD -> MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 04:02
You're very welcome. And again, don't hesitate to post any questions. People on this forum are generally speaking very helpful. Due to my own time constraint, I try to help as much as possible and should you have a question, I'll be sure to answer it promptly.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Some noob questions pertaining to JD -> MBA   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2011, 04:02