Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 06:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some of our federal legislators are opposed to government

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 85 [3] , given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Some of our federal legislators are opposed to government [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 23:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (02:31) correct 60% (01:31) wrong based on 407 sessions
Some of our federal legislators are opposed to government endowments or other financial support for photography as an art form on the basis that much of modern photography portrays nudity and is thus obscene. These legislators are mistaken, however, since even they would agree that Michelangelo's works of art, most of which depict nudity, are not obscene.

Which of the following statements, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument above?

(A) The artistic level of the works of the vast majority of modern photographers does not approach that of Michelangelo's works.

(B) Many modern photographic works of art have been displayed in museums alongside Michelangelo's works.

(C) The majority of Michelangelo's work was not funded or otherwise supported by the government.

(D) What these legislators consider to be obscene does not coincide with what the general citizenry views as obscene.

(E) Due to their relatively high artistic value, works of Michelangelo that portray nudity are not considered obscene.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Retired Moderator
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 507 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Nudity in Photography [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 23:42
Why is the answer E when the argument itself has already claimed this fact earlier :

"These legislators are mistaken, however, since even they would agree that Michelangelo's works of art, most of which depict nudity, are not obscene."

So restating it should not weaken it surely ?

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Nudity in Photography [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 23:58
shrouded1 wrote:
Why is the answer E when the argument itself has already claimed this fact earlier :

"These legislators are mistaken, however, since even they would agree that Michelangelo's works of art, most of which depict nudity, are not obscene."

So restating it should not weaken it surely ?

Thats what I thought. I actually picked A which makes more sense to me.

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 18

Re: Nudity in Photography [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 07:51
I picked up D
I tht that the conclusion is "since even they would agree that Michelangelo's works of art, most of which depict nudity, are not obscene"
Now the perception that Michelangelo's works of art is not nudity is of the general citizens, the legislators may not beleive so and
exactly this is pointed out in D.

Explanations for correct ans is needed.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 66

Re: Nudity in Photography [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 08:46
Even i am with D.Source brother?
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 66

Re: Nudity in Photography [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 08:49
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 18

Re: Nudity in Photography [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 08:51
I don't know...ask the one at the top...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Nudity in Photography [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 18:54
here we are askd to weaken the argument.
The author states that the legislators were mistaken as they are against the art which depict nudity.but it could be that many others artists find this as an excuse and depict nudity in their art too which must be unnecessary.so the legislators were against these artists.but Michelangelo's works of art,being an exception bcoz of the high artistic value.

so i wud go with E
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 25

Re: Nudity in Photography [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 21:20
I went for E. It totally weakens the argument.

Give [highlight]KUDOS [/highlight] if you like my post.

Always do things which make you feel ALIVE!!!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 182 [1] , given: 104

Re: Nudity in Photography [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 23:40
This post received
KUDOS
tough one. I went with D but the arguments for E make sense. but D does weaken to an extent. If legislators have a different view than citizens (including the guy making this statement), then the legislators might believe that michaelangelo's work is not obscene but the new photographer's is then the author's statement "These legislators are mistaken, however, since even they would agree that Michelangelo's works of art, most of which depict nudity, are not obscene" falls apart as the legislators are not mistaken but made a purposeful decision.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 15

Re: Nudity in Photography [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 22:04
E for me. This is because Author's conclusion is that nudity is not obscene as MichaelAngelo's work contained nudity but was not considered obscene. So to weaken the argument all we need to do is state that MichaelAngelo's work is Nudity which is exactly done by E.

-AD

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Nudity in Photography [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 04:29
D for me
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

Re: Nudity in Photography [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 09:48
this is going to go to my list OF toughest CRs...I did not get it at all.
Expert Post
19 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5381 [19] , given: 165

Re: Nudity in Photography [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 05:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kidchaos wrote:
Some of our federal legislators are opposed to government endowments or other financial support for photography as an art form on the basis that much of modern photography portrays nudity and is thus obscene. These legislators are mistaken, however, since even they would agree that Michelangelo's works of art, most of which depict nudity, are not obscene.

Which of the following statements, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument above?

(A) The artistic level of the works of the vast majority of modern photographers does not approach that of Michelangelo's works.

(B) Many modern photographic works of art have been displayed in museums alongside Michelangelo's works.

(C) The majority of Michelangelo's work was not funded or otherwise supported by the government.

(D) What these legislators consider to be obscene does not coincide with what the general citizenry views as obscene.

(E) Due to their relatively high artistic value, works of Michelangelo that portray nudity are not considered obscene.

Ok then. Let's break it down.
Premises:
- Some of our federal legislators believe that much of modern photography portrays nudity and is thus obscene.
- Even they would agree that Michelangelo's works of art, most of which depict nudity, are not obscene.
Conclusion:
These federal legislators should not consider modern photography obscene. (He says they are mistaken so basically he is saying that they should not consider it obscene.)

Now think of what logic is being used in the argument above. It simply says:
A has B and is thus considered C.
D also has B but is still not considered C.
So we should not consider A C.

A - Modern photography
B - Nudity
C - Obscene
D - Mich. art

What is the flaw here?
According to the argument, if there is nudity in art it is considered obscene. The reason why Mich's work is not considered obscene in spite of having nudity could be that his work has something else too.

Let me explain this with another example:
My argument:
You have a pen and thus can write.
I have a pen but I cannot write.
So you cannot write either.
What can weaken my argument? How about: I have a broken arm because of which I cannot write in spite of having a pen.

Option (E) tells you that Michelangelo's work has high artistic value. That is why it is not considered obscene in spite of having nudity. This weakens the argument since Michelangelo's work has something extra and the same may not be applicable to modern photography.

Option (D) needn't be considered because general citizenry is not a part of the argument at all. The author is trying to convince the legislators that modern photography should not be considered obscene.

Option (A) has a disconnect with the argument. It says that 'The artistic level of the works of the vast majority of modern photographers does not approach that of Michelangelo's works.' but it doesn't say that Michelangelo's work is not considered obscene because of its high artistic value. It is as if you presented a difference between the two - modern photography and Mich's work but did not say how this difference impacts the argument. e.g. in the example above, if I say, "Your arm is absolutely fine unlike mine which is broken." it is not enough because I haven't said that because of my broken arm, I cannot write. (Remember, I have to mention this to present the relationship. What if my non-writing arm is broken.)

Now, I hope it makes more sense why the answer is (E).

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 13

Re: Nudity in Photography [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 23:29
its between A and E
A should be eliminated because in that we are clearly assuming that Michaelangelo's work was superior than that of most current artists.This assumption is unfounded as there is no evidence of that in the stimuli.

E actually states that assumption above that Michaealangelo's work was indeed of high artisitic value which is not the case with current photographers..
therefore E.

On a different note, if only they had provided some photographs with this question, guess the comparison would have been much easier then :twisted: :lol: :lol:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Nudity in Photography [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 20:33
@VeritasPrepKarishma :
Option (E) tells you that Michelangelo's work has high artistic value. That is why it is not considered obscene in spite of having nudity. This weakens the argument since Michelangelo's work has something extra and the same may not be applicable to modern photography.

Even here we are assuming that work of contemporary artist is not as good as it is of Michelangelo. It may be that contemporart artists are as good as or even better, and therefore there work would be artistic as well

However from the sentence
"since even they would agree that Michelangelo's works of art, most of which depict nudity, are not obscene"

we get that Michelangelo was more artistic, and therefore A should suit more !!.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5381 [3] , given: 165

Re: Nudity in Photography [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2010, 02:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sap wrote:
@VeritasPrepKarishma :

Even here we are assuming that work of contemporary artist is not as good as it is of Michelangelo. It may be that contemporart artists are as good as or even better, and therefore there work would be artistic as well

However from the sentence
"since even they would agree that Michelangelo's works of art, most of which depict nudity, are not obscene"

we get that Michelangelo was more artistic, and therefore A should suit more !!.

Option A: The artistic level of the works of the vast majority of modern photographers does not approach that of Michelangelo's works.

The reason A does not work is that it doesn't tell you how artistic level is related to obscenity. It does not give that if work is artistic, it is not considered obscene. It tells you that M's work is more artistic but so what? It doesn't say that 'more artistic work is not obscene' because of which it is irrelevant to our conclusion (even though in our mind it makes sense). The connection has to be explicitly mentioned.

Logic in the argument:
P has N and is thus considered O.
M also has N but is still not considered O.
So we should not consider P O.

Option A says: P has less A than M.
The point is, how is A related to O? We do not know. No impact on conclusion.

Option E says: M has high A and is hence not O.
Here it gives an explanation why M's work is not considered O. Of course, it doesn't say that modern photography does not have high artistic value but the point is that it leaves open the possibility that it may not have high artistic value and hence weakens the conclusion. (Does not make the conclusion false, but only weakens it)

P - Modern photography
N - Nudity
O - Obscene
M - Mich. art
A - Artistic value

Think it makes more sense now?

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

Re: Nudity in Photography [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2010, 09:06
I got E but this was tough

Go Blue!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Nudity in Photography [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2010, 23:19
kidchaos wrote:

Premise 1 :Some of our federal legislators are opposed to government endowments or other financial support for photography as an art form on the basis that much of modern photography portrays nudity and is thus obscene.

Conclusion : These legislators are mistaken

Premise 2 : since even they would agree that Michelangelo's works of art, most of which depict nudity, are not obscene.

Irrelevant. This information doesn't affect the premise or the conclusion.

so what ?, no impact

The discussion is about the legislators and not the funding by the government. Misleading...

Comparing legislators viewpoint and general citizens viewpoint doesn't impact the conclusion.

(E) Due to their relatively high artistic value, works of Michelangelo that portray nudity are not considered obscene.[/quote]
This gives a explanation why Premise 2 cannot be used logically to conclude and oppose premise 1. This is the winner !!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Nudity in Photography [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 01:26
Reall tough one... At first i also got A

but thanks to the explanations...

Kudos if any of my post helps you !!!

Re: Nudity in Photography   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2010, 01:26