Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 20:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some of the greatest American entrepreneurs of the 20th

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 42

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 14:38
definatey E)..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Some of the greatest American entrepreneurs of the 20th [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2012, 03:38
There are a lot of persons who became successful in america.They are a very good business.They have all the updates about the daily market also.There are a lot of african american entrepreneurs who are the best in their business.Some companies of america are the best in their field because of their business skills.To become a better businessman it is necessary to be updated about the market all the time otherwise you cannot become a better businessman.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Some of the greatest American entrepreneurs of the 20th [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 20:52
The list of African American Entrepreneurs has grown exponentially in the last decade. Just read Forbes Magazine or Ebony Magazine and you'll find out about them.

African American Entrepreneurs

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: Some of the greatest American entrepreneurs of the 20th [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 21:49
The answer should be A.

B, C, D, & E all are very strong and generalized statement, so I opted A by POE.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 18

Re: Some of the greatest American entrepreneurs of the 20th [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 22:05
[quote="zz0vlb"]Some of the greatest American entrepreneurs of the 20th century started their business ventures while they were still in college, and could not complete their education as a result. It is possible that had they started their businesses any later, they would not have been as successful.

From the above two statements, it can only be proven that

(A) sometimes, it can be worthwhile to sacrifice an immediate gain for a larger benefit.

(B) education is not always useful.

(3) it pays not to complete an education.

(D) entrepreneurs who start their ventures after completing their education are not as successful as those who start off while still in college.

(E) you do not have to be educated to be an entrepreneur.

Options B, C can be directly eliminated as these hold strong views which is not at all stated in the given statements.
In option D, author is nowhere mentioning the entrepreneurs who start their ventures after completing their education so can be eliminated.

Confusion is between A and E but as per statements , only A can be concluded more precisely.

Answer is A

Try and fail but never fail to try
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Some of the greatest American entrepreneurs of the 20th [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 02:25
Quote:
Some of the greatest American entrepreneurs of the 20th century started their business ventures while they were still in college, and could not complete their education as a result. It is possible that had they started their businesses any later, they would not have been as successful.

(A) sometimes, it can be worthwhile to sacrifice an immediate gain for a larger benefit. - There is an implied gain here but its not clearly stated. Although it might seem like common sense, the question doesn't state that completing their education would have made helped them in any way.

(B) education is not always useful. Generalization

(3) it pays not to complete an education. Generalization again

(D) entrepreneurs who start their ventures after completing their education are not as successful as those who start off while still in college. Faulty logic, other entrepreneurs can be equally successful

(E) you do not have to be educated to be an entrepreneur.True - Since they didn't finish their education but were still successful, education isn't really a prerequisite to be an entrepreneur.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 15

Re: Some of the greatest American entrepreneurs of the 20th [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 10:17
Even i feel its E. Initially i was confused between A and E, but since we have to assume certain things in A, I chose E. Can any of the experts help us with this?
Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Schools: Johnson '15

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Some of the greatest American entrepreneurs of the 20th [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 23:06
zz0vlb wrote:
Some of the greatest American entrepreneurs of the 20th century started their business ventures while they were still in college, and could not complete their education as a result. It is possible that had they started their businesses any later, they would not have been as successful.

(A) sometimes, it can be worthwhile to sacrifice an immediate gain for a larger benefit.

(D) entrepreneurs who start their ventures after completing their education are not as successful as those who start off while still in college.

I went with E, am not sure if it is a CORRECT answer

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 75

Re: Some of the greatest American entrepreneurs of the 20th [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 23:29
I've edited this post

this statement is very general and have less synchronization with the given argument-incorrect

education for some people might not be, doesn't mean it is not always useful-too strong-incorrect

incomplete education for some people might be fruitful, doesn't mean it is not always useful-too strong-incorrect

education for some people might not be good enough to be entrepreneur , doesn't mean it is not always true, are all entrepreneurs not educated?-too strong-incorrect

this has the best answer choice here- this gives the exact idea asked -correct

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Last edited by thevenus on 19 Aug 2012, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1622 [0], given: 249

Re: Some of the greatest American entrepreneurs of the 20th [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 03:20
Expert's post
History is replete with hundreds of great entrepreneurs, who never went to college or dropped out of their schools. The names are so great that the list is mind-boggling. To cite a few among them will be Walt Disney, Steve jobs, Michael Dell, Hershey, Ty Warner and so on, not leaving behind the legendary Gates. So critical thinking suggests that you do not need to have a formal education to be an entrepreneur. This is what opening remarks of the passage explicitly states. In addition, E stops short of any speculation whether such entrepreneurs succeed or not. This is the safety-valve of the choice. So, E is the best answer

Why is a not so strong as E? A is speculating beyond its means. It seems to say that by sacrificing X for Y, sometimes one gains more. This a little far fetched

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 15

Re: Some of the greatest American entrepreneurs of the 20th [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 12:04
daagh wrote:
History is replete with hundreds of great entrepreneurs, who never went to college or dropped out of their schools. The names are so great that the list is mind-boggling. To cite a few among them will be Walt Disney, Steve jobs, Michael Dell, Hershey, Ty Warner and so on, not leaving behind the legendary Gates. So critical thinking suggests that you do not need to have a formal education to be an entrepreneur. This is what opening remarks of the passage explicitly states. In addition, E stops short of any speculation whether such entrepreneurs succeed or not. This is the safety-valve of the choice. So, E is the best answer

Why is a not so strong as E? A is speculating beyond its means. It seems to say that by sacrificing X for Y, sometimes one gains more. This a little far fetched

Thank you daagh! There has been lotta discussion about this question, Just wanted to ask whether such controversial questions can appear in actual GMAT or not? :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 82

Re: Some of the greatest American entrepreneurs of the 20th [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 12:12
if u see .. it saying .."IT IS POSIBLE" in the end of stimulus.. that means thats not neccesssray .. if u look E .. statement is general .. it is saying u dont need to be educated to be an entrepreneur .. that showing generalizing of whole scenario but that is not the case..

Option A ...starting with sometimes.. cleary parellel with Stimulus "IT is POSSIBLE"..

That y Option A is corect
correct me if m wrong ..

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

GMAT Instructor
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 687 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Some of the greatest American entrepreneurs of the 20th [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 20:34
mehulsayani wrote:
Even i feel its E. Initially i was confused between A and E, but since we have to assume certain things in A, I chose E. Can any of the experts help us with this?

Well, I think E is the best choice among the lot, but I also think it's a terrible practice question and you should ignore it. The wording is so vague all you can do is try to guess what the question writer means. In answer choice E, for example,

what does it mean "to be educated"? If that means "to complete college", then E is clearly correct. If that means "to attend school at some point", then E is not something we can prove from the passage. So we can't tell if E is a good answer because the use of language is too imprecise.

Still, I think E is the best choice, if only because all of the other choices are clearly wrong. I guess a lot of people arrived at answer A:

and I imagine people construe the "immediate gain" to be "completing a college education", and the "larger benefit" to be "becoming a great entrepreneur". It's not clear to me why that should be so; why is not completing education the "larger benefit"? But the bigger problem is the use of the word "worthwhile", which introduces a value judgment about entrepreneurship. Perhaps many readers of the question will think it is "worthwhile" to become a "great entrepreneur", but we are asked specifically what can be proven from the passage. You can't prove from anything within the passage itself that it's "worthwhile" to become a great entrepreneur. So A is not a good answer.

Now, I would not be at all surprised to learn that A is the answer given in the book which presented this question. But it's a bad question, so I wouldn't be surprised if it also had a bad OA.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Some of the greatest American entrepreneurs of the 20th [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 13:24
It should be E.
A is very generic and it quite beyond the scope.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 515

Kudos [?]: 2138 [0], given: 31

Re: Some of the greatest American entrepreneurs of the 20th [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 10:53
Expert's post
zz0vlb wrote:

(C) it pays not to complete an education.

fameatop wrote:
Hi Mike,
I am not able to get how come option D is incorrect and A is correct. Can you show me how to perform FACT test on these two options. Waiting eagerly,as always, for your superb explanation. Regards, Fame

Fame,
First of all, this is an atrocious question. I don't know the source, but this question looks like it was written by a teenager. The prompt "it can be proven that" is not at the GMAT level of formality, and the diction, especially use of the pronoun "you", is abysmal. I'll say, in passing, both (B) & (E), for which many on this page fell, play on the distinction "education" vs. "a complete college education" ---- somebody who completes high school and finishes the first couple years of college has plenty of education, more than the majority of people on the planet. Yes, they didn't need to complete their college education to be a successful entrepreneur, but that doesn't say that the education they got didn't help them. Playing on an old book title, "Everything I needed to know about being an entrepreneur I learned in high school" --- that refutes both (B) & (E).

Choice (D) is easy to dispatch with the FACT test. The prompt contains the word "SOME" --- that word should leap out at you like a lightning bolt. The very fact that "some" entrepreneurs follow this pattern suggest that others follow another pattern. If some entrepreneur out there finished college, got two academic masters degrees, an MBA, a JD, and then a Ph.D, and then went on to found a multi-billion dollar technology company, that would not contradict anything in the passage (which is only about "some" entrepreneurs, not all!), but it blatantly contradicts (D).

Let's consider the opposite of (A). The opposite of "sometimes" is "never". Thus, the opposite of (A) would be:
It never can be worthwhile to sacrifice an immediate gain for a larger benefit.
In addition to being a patently absurd statement on its own, this statement directly contradict the passage ---- those folks sacrificed the immediate gain of completing a college education, a readily attainable goal in their environment, and took the risk of pursuing a larger possible benefit, a successful company.

Admittedly, the wording is not perfectly clear. This question is really well below the standards set by the GMAT.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
Schools: Tepper '16 (S)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 23

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 01:39
whichscore wrote:
+ 1 for E.
A is exactly the opposite of what the statements says.

Hi Whichscore ,

I am afraid it is not , see option E is very ambiguous , its very strong . The stimulus states that "some" of the entrepreneurs dropped out of college , what about the rest ?? Ideally it meant they graduated from college or absolutely had no education . So if we consider that some of them had completed college and are successful entrepreneurs you cannot say that you need not be educated to be entrepreneur .

And the term educated is not the apt word , evening writing name in english is considered to be educated . if it would have been graduated then it would make sense.

Correct me if there is a flaw
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

Re: Some of the greatest American entrepreneurs of the 20th [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 01:06
chose E but i see that E does not have the time element.
Re: Some of the greatest American entrepreneurs of the 20th   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2014, 01:06