Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 May 2015, 23:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2009
Posts: 37
Schools: University of Toronto, Mcgill, Queens
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 9

Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2009, 09:27
6
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

64% (03:44) correct 36% (03:17) wrong based on 115 sessions
Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall, some are both, and some are neither. In Town Y, three times as many people are left-handed > as are left-handed in Town X, three times as many people are tall as are tall in Town X, three times as many people are both as are both in Town X, but no one is neither. If the total number of people in Town X is four times greater than the total number of people in Town Y, which of the following could be the number of people in Town X who are neither left-handed nor tall?

(A) 23
(B) 39
(C) 72
(D) 143
(E) 199
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

--Action is the foundational key to all success.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2009
Posts: 37
Schools: University of Toronto, Mcgill, Queens
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 48 [1] , given: 9

Re: Overlapping Sets Problem [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2009, 09:32
1
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Let A = Left Handed, B = Tall and C = Both of left handed and Tall, D= neither

Two overlapping sets problem, therefore

Total = G1+ G2 - Both + neither

Town X
total = A+B+C+D

Town Y
= 3A+3B+3C + 0

as Town X 4 times greater.
4(3A+3B+3C) = A+B+C+D
after simplifying D = 11(A+B+C)

as D is the only multiple of 11 so to me it look like an answer.

Comments please
_________________

--Action is the foundational key to all success.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: mba here i come!
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 271
Location: Pakistan
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 789 [1] , given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Overlapping Sets Problem [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 14:22
1
This post received
KUDOS
Bullet wrote:
as Town X 4 times greater.
4(3A+3B+3C) = A+B+C+D
after simplifying D = 11(A+B+C)


12(A+B+C) = A+B+C+D
look at both sides now. you have 12 times A rather than 3 times A.
_________________

press +1 Kudos to appreciate posts
Download Valuable Collection of Percentage Questions (PS/DS)

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 27468
Followers: 4311

Kudos [?]: 42192 [3] , given: 5957

Re: Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 14:39
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bullet wrote:
Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall, some are both, and some are neither. In Town Y, three times as many people are left-handed > as are left-handed in Town X, three times as many people are tall as are tall in Town X, three times as many people are both as are both in Town X, but no one is neither. If the total number of people in Town X is four times greater than the total number of people in Town Y, which of the following could be the number of people in Town X who are neither left-handed nor tall?

(A) 23
(B) 39
(C) 72
(D) 143
(E) 199

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I calculated OA and it looks like D but i'm not 100% sure


Yes, correct answer is indeed D.

Given:
{X}={Left} + {Tall} - {Both} + {Neither};

{Y} = 3*{Left} + 3*{Tall} - 3*{Both};

Since the total number of people in Town X is four times greater than the total number of people in Town Y, then:
{Left} + {Tall} - {Both} + {Neither}=4*(3*{Left} + 3*{Tall} - 3*{Both});

{Neither}=11*({Left} + {Tall} - {Both}), which means that # of people in Town X who are neither left-handed nor tall must be a multiple of 11.

Only answer choice D, is a multiple of 11: 143=11*13.

Answer: D.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Dec 2011
Posts: 117
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 17

Re: Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 01:08
I am not fine with the language with this question.. does four times greater right usage.. or should it be four times..does the same meaning is construed.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 4926
Followers: 298

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 16:37
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 4926
Followers: 298

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2015, 10:57
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2014
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2015, 17:55
Hi Bunnel,

I have a quick question. The question says "total number of people in Town X is four times greater than the total number of people in Town Y". Wouldn't this translate to X=5Y instead of X=4Y. Sorry if I am missing something.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2014
Posts: 237
Location: India
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 74

Reviews Badge
Re: Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2015, 18:51
Bunuel wrote:
Bullet wrote:
Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall, some are both, and some are neither. In Town Y, three times as many people are left-handed > as are left-handed in Town X, three times as many people are tall as are tall in Town X, three times as many people are both as are both in Town X, but no one is neither. If the total number of people in Town X is four times greater than the total number of people in Town Y, which of the following could be the number of people in Town X who are neither left-handed nor tall?

(A) 23
(B) 39
(C) 72
(D) 143
(E) 199

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I calculated OA and it looks like D but i'm not 100% sure


Yes, correct answer is indeed D.

Given:
{X}={Left} + {Tall} - {Both} + {Neither};

{Y} = 3*{Left} + 3*{Tall} - 3*{Both};

Since the total number of people in Town X is four times greater than the total number of people in Town Y, then:
{Left} + {Tall} - {Both} + {Neither}=4*(3*{Left} + 3*{Tall} - 3*{Both});

{Neither}=11*({Left} + {Tall} - {Both}), which means that # of people in Town X who are neither left-handed nor tall must be a multiple of 11.

Only answer choice D, is a multiple of 11: 143=11*13.

Answer: D.



I think the highlighted portion actually means: If X is the total population of Town X and Y is the total population of town Y then
X = 4Y + Y = 5Y
The Question stem states 4 times greater than Y not 4 times as much as Y.

Kindly Let me know if at all i am wrong.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 5539
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1369

Kudos [?]: 6965 [1] , given: 178

Re: Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2015, 23:44
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
earnit wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Bullet wrote:
Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall, some are both, and some are neither. In Town Y, three times as many people are left-handed > as are left-handed in Town X, three times as many people are tall as are tall in Town X, three times as many people are both as are both in Town X, but no one is neither. If the total number of people in Town X is four times greater than the total number of people in Town Y, which of the following could be the number of people in Town X who are neither left-handed nor tall?

(A) 23
(B) 39
(C) 72
(D) 143
(E) 199

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I calculated OA and it looks like D but i'm not 100% sure


Yes, correct answer is indeed D.

Given:
{X}={Left} + {Tall} - {Both} + {Neither};

{Y} = 3*{Left} + 3*{Tall} - 3*{Both};

Since the total number of people in Town X is four times greater than the total number of people in Town Y, then:
{Left} + {Tall} - {Both} + {Neither}=4*(3*{Left} + 3*{Tall} - 3*{Both});

{Neither}=11*({Left} + {Tall} - {Both}), which means that # of people in Town X who are neither left-handed nor tall must be a multiple of 11.

Only answer choice D, is a multiple of 11: 143=11*13.

Answer: D.



I think the highlighted portion actually means: If X is the total population of Town X and Y is the total population of town Y then
X = 4Y + Y = 5Y
The Question stem states 4 times greater than Y not 4 times as much as Y.

Kindly Let me know if at all i am wrong.


This discussion has taken place many times before. Check out this link to understand why it will be the way Bunuel has done it: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/52334.html
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Posts: 295
Schools: Cambridge'16
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 32

Re: Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2015, 03:42
w+x+y+z=12w+12x+12y

z=11w+11x+11y

z=11(w+x+z)

it should be multiple of 11

D
Re: Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2015, 03:42
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall, some are AmoyV 0 01 Sep 2014, 09:37
10 Experts publish their posts in the topic Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall boomtangboy 10 27 Jan 2012, 02:20
Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall, Skewed 3 19 Nov 2007, 15:18
Need some help people saurabh357 2 20 Aug 2007, 03:15
x' prospective people interview for some jobs, in the first TeHCM 4 05 Feb 2006, 14:42
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.