Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3792 [17]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3792 [0]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [4]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3223 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: tenth-century stave churches of Norway [#permalink]
Hi Tommy, if we remove the portion between commas in (A), the sentence does not make sense. Would you mind commenting on the same.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Some of the tenth-century stave churches of Norway are still [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey Seekmba,

Aha. Be careful here. Often times when there are two commas in a sentence, it signifies a modifier, in which case the sentence should make sense without it. But that's not what's going on here:

Some of the tenth-century stave churches of Norway are still standing, [demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance, (wooden buildings can last indefinitely).]

[] --> The bracket phrase is a participial phrase modifying the entire preceding clause (it's a result of the fact that the churches are still standing).

() --> This last phrase is just a result of the ordering of the sentence. The prepositional phrase "with sound design and maintenance" is modifying "wooden buildings", and that modifier wants a comma in-between the two.

Someone else said they weren't convinced by this one. Any particular thing that doesn't have you convinced? Is it the explanation of why B is wrong? I promise, it's as I described. "Demonstrate that..." means that whatever comes after the "that" is what you're proving. For example "I demonstrated that the sun was made of fire." On the other hand, "Demonstrate how..." can only explain the exact way in which something happened. For example, "I demonstrated how to make water from ice." B doesn't make sense with "how", because it's not describing a method, only a fact.

Hope that helps!

-t
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1938 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Re: Some of the tenth-century stave churches of Norway are still [#permalink]
RaviChandra wrote:
standing, demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance, wooden buildings can last indefinitely

the OA is A
but if we consider A
demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance
is a modifier which is in double commas so it only gives an extra information in other words it can be removed and the rest of the sentence should stand.

Some of the tenth-century stave churches of Norway are still standing,[strike]demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance[/strike], wooden buildings can last indefinitely.

i dont think it makes sense.

so if we think its not a an extra info it should have a verb. there is no verb in
demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance

Please Explain Guys :? :?

actually it is not the "double comma" that you are referring to. this is a case of superficial parallelism, as mgmt calls it. have a look at only the below part and you'll understand the structure.

.. demonstrating that with sound design, wooden buildings can last indefinitely.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
my 2 cents:

B - incorrect - use of when is wrong

C - incorrect - wrong use of semicolon

D, E - incorrect - changing the meaning, illogically suggesting that churches demonstrate
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GRE 1: Q155 V151
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I agree (A) makes perfect sense from a meaning perspective. However, I was just confused with the structure. 2 ICs combined with a comma.

Some of the tenth-century stave churches of Norway are still standing, demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance, wooden buildings can last indefinitely.

Please correct me.

with x, y can be written as X with Y.

daagh VeritasKarishma
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Akshay

Quote:
demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance, wooden buildings can last indefinitely

To think that the two commas decide the essentiality of a modifier is reflex reaction. You must decide such deeply meaning- based things, only after removing them and validating with the intended meaning. In the context, if one removes the parenthesis, one will get only some meaningless jumble of words, disparate of each other clause. Therefore, the participle modifier starting with demonstrating is an essential one.

Together with the verb+ing word, the second part is an adverbial modifier modifying the previous clause. It may be noted that the relative pronoun 'that' makes the whole clause a subordinate clause and therefore it is not an IC.

We should also appreciate that without ''sound design and maintenance', the intended core meaning is lost.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
Akshay. wrote:
I agree (A) makes perfect sense from a meaning perspective. However, I was just confused with the structure. 2 ICs combined with a comma.

Some of the tenth-century stave churches of Norway are still standing, demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance, wooden buildings can last indefinitely.

Please correct me.

with x, y can be written as X with Y.

daagh VeritasKarishma

The sentence is not connecting two independent clauses.
"demonstrating that ..." is a present participle modifier modifying the entire preceding sentence.

Yes, you can reword it like this for clarity:

Some of the tenth-century stave churches of Norway are still standing, demonstrating that wooden buildings can last indefinitely with sound design and maintenance.
Though, it is not very clear here that "with sound design and maintenance" is the reason wooden buildings last indefinitely.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts