Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 12:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some of the tenth-century stave churches of Norway are still

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 0

Some of the tenth-century stave churches of Norway are still [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 19:43
Some of the tenth-century stave churches of Norway are still standing, demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance, wooden buildings can last indefinitely.

A. standing, demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance, wooden buildings can last indefinitely

B. standing, demonstrating how wooden buildings, when they have sound design and maintenance, can last indefinitely

C. standing; they demonstrate if a wooden building has sound design and maintenance it can last indefinitely

D. standing, and they demonstrate wooden buildings can last indefinitely when there is sound design and maintenance

E. standing, and they demonstrate how a wooden building can last indefinitely when it has sound design and maintenance
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: Norway Churches [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 20:00
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
Some of the tenth-century stave churches of Norway are still standing, demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance, wooden buildings can last indefinitely.

A. standing, demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance, wooden buildings can last indefinitely

B. standing, demonstrating how wooden buildings, when they have sound design and maintenance, can last indefinitely

C. standing; they demonstrate if a wooden building has sound design and maintenance it can last indefinitely

D. standing, and they demonstrate wooden buildings can last indefinitely when there is sound design and maintenance

E. standing, and they demonstrate how a wooden building can last indefinitely when it has sound design and maintenance

Shortlisted to A and B.

Would go with B
SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 05:25
hmm i said A
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Norway Churches [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 05:32
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

Will go for 'E'
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 06:03
I will go with A. Whats the OA?
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

Re: Norway Churches [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 06:11
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

Ans -A

B- when incorrectly modifies buildings
C- unnecessary use of semicolon
D- Use of when
E- same as D

Amar
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: Norway Churches [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 07:41
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

I pick C.

A is wrong because it implies that the churches are doing 2 things: 1) standing and 2) demonstrating. I think this error is present in all choices except in C. The original sentence wants to convey that the churches standing demonstrates ....

Choice C breaks the sentence into 2 independent clauses, which are closely related. The only thing I didn't like in C is that it omits 'that' after demonstrate.

What's the OA?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 09:45
I go with A. Whats the OA
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 0

Re: Norway Churches [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 09:51
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

OA is A. I swear I have done this question b/f on the forums and the OA then was not A. The reason they told me the OA was not A was b/c standing, demonstrating should not go together. Thats why I picked C, but honestly I dont see why A would be wrong.
Director
Director

Re: Norway Churches [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 10:08
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

OA is A. I swear I have done this question b/f on the forums and the OA then was not A. The reason they told me the OA was not A was b/c standing, demonstrating should not go together. Thats why I picked C, but honestly I dont see why A would be wrong.

I eliminated A for the same reason. A conveys that the churches are doing 2 things: 1) standing and 2) demonstrating.

What is the source of this question? If its a SC1000 or Brutals question then the 'OA' may not be the OA....
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 4

Re: Norway Churches [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 10:18
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

GMATBLACKBELT, you still on SC? i thought we finished in the summer?!

A is correct because....

Some of the tenth-century stave churches of Norway are still standing
is a independent clause

followed by an active tense particpial phrase
demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance, wooden buildings can last indefinitely.

where the particpial phrase has its own subordinated clause.

demonstrating that
With sound design and maintenance, wooden buildings can last indefinitely.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 10:37
fantastic explanation by Paul at http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t14224
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 16:32
GK_Gmat wrote:

Thank You GK_Gmat...

It is an eye opener...

For me following are the golden rules for subordinate clauses..

2 or more subordinate clauses (or independent clauses) don't go back to back, unless they have coordinating conjunction

2 clauses when they are connected they should always have a logical connection

But this one is a good example of an exception to the above rule..
Unlike what Paul said I believe the second clause is an appositive rather than a absolute phrase

Appositive is an exception. That allows the usage 'standing, demonstrating'
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2007, 07:20
Beyond700 wrote:
GK_Gmat wrote:

Thank You GK_Gmat...

It is an eye opener...

For me following are the golden rules for subordinate clauses..

2 or more subordinate clauses (or independent clauses) don't go back to back, unless they have coordinating conjunction

2 clauses when they are connected they should always have a logical connection

But this one is a good example of an exception to the above rule..
Unlike what Paul said I believe the second clause is an appositive rather than a absolute phrase

Appositive is an exception. That allows the usage 'standing, demonstrating'

I read that an appositive is 'another name' so to speak. For eg:

The lady, our teacher, is very stern. --> is an appositive because we use teacher to rename lady...

Eg: George Bush, the President, is a funny guy. --> the President is used to rename Bush...
  [#permalink] 28 Nov 2007, 07:20