Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 18:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some of the tenth-century stave churches of Norway are still

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 325

Some of the tenth-century stave churches of Norway are still [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 20:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

33% (00:00) correct 67% (00:31) wrong based on 3 sessions
Some of the tenth-century stave churches of Norway are still standing, demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance, wooden buildings can last indefinitely.

(A) standing, demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance, wooden buildings can last indefinitely
(B) standing, demonstrating how wooden buildings, when they have sound design and maintenance, can last indefinitely
(C) standing; they demonstrate if a wooden building has sound design and maintenance it can last indefinitely
(D) standing, and they demonstrate wooden buildings can last indefinitely when there is sound design and maintenance
(E) standing, and they demonstrate how a wooden building can last indefinitely when it has sound design and maintenance

One Final Try.......

Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 325

Re: tenth-century stave churches of Norway [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 20:31
standing, demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance, wooden buildings can last indefinitely

the OA is A
but if we consider A
demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance
is a modifier which is in double commas so it only gives an extra information in other words it can be removed and the rest of the sentence should stand.

Some of the tenth-century stave churches of Norway are still standing[strike], demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance,[/strike] wooden buildings can last indefinitely.

i dont think makes sense.

so if we think its not a an extra info it should have a verb. there is no verb in
demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance

Please Explain Guys :? :?

One Final Try.......

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: tenth-century stave churches of Norway [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 11:01
I believe you posted this already enth-century-stave-churches-of-norway-84813.html
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 328

Kudos [?]: 703 [2] , given: 11

Re: tenth-century stave churches of Norway [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 17:54
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Guys,

I see there was another thread on this, but there are threads on just about everything. It's still worth discussing!

Some of the tenth-century stave churches of Norway are still standing, demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance, wooden buildings can last indefinitely.

(A) standing, demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance, wooden buildings can last indefinitely
Answer

(B) standing, demonstrating how wooden buildings, when they have sound design and maintenance, can last indefinitely
PROBLEM: "how wooden buildings can last" would imply that the fact that the churches are standing actually shows IN WHAT WAY the buildings can last. But it's merely demonstrating the fact THAT the buildings are still standing. It's also very ugly to interrupt the "wooden buildings can last.." phrase with a relative modifier on buildings (though I wouldn't argue it's necessarily wrong).

(C) standing; they demonstrate if a wooden building has sound design and maintenance it can last indefinitely
PROBLEM: You can't "demonstrate if" something. The semicolon is fine.

(D) standing, and they demonstrate wooden buildings can last indefinitely when there is sound design and maintenance
PROBLEM: No need for the comma before "and". You can't "demonstrate [a physical thing]". You need some weird inbetween. Also unclear to say "there is sound design and maintenance". We'd prefer to describe how the buildings have sound design and maintenance.

(E) standing, and they demonstrate how a wooden building can last indefinitely when it has sound design and maintenance
PROBLEM: Comma before "and" again. "How" issue again.

Hope that helps!

-tommy

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 44

GMAT Tests User
Re: tenth-century stave churches of Norway [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 00:37
thanks for the explanation, Tommy !

"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiam." - Winston Churchill

As vs Like - Check this link : http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/like-as.html.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: tenth-century stave churches of Norway [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 06:29
Tommy, sorry, but I am not convinced.
But then, I don't have any better option :)
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 6

Re: tenth-century stave churches of Norway [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 18:42
Hi Tommy, if we remove the portion between commas in (A), the sentence does not make sense. Would you mind commenting on the same.
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 328

Kudos [?]: 703 [1] , given: 11

Re: tenth-century stave churches of Norway [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 17:34
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Seekmba,

Aha. Be careful here. Often times when there are two commas in a sentence, it signifies a modifier, in which case the sentence should make sense without it. But that's not what's going on here:

Some of the tenth-century stave churches of Norway are still standing, [demonstrating that with sound design and maintenance, (wooden buildings can last indefinitely).]

[] --> The bracket phrase is a participial phrase modifying the entire preceding clause (it's a result of the fact that the churches are still standing).

() --> This last phrase is just a result of the ordering of the sentence. The prepositional phrase "with sound design and maintenance" is modifying "wooden buildings", and that modifier wants a comma in-between the two.

Someone else said they weren't convinced by this one. Any particular thing that doesn't have you convinced? Is it the explanation of why B is wrong? I promise, it's as I described. "Demonstrate that..." means that whatever comes after the "that" is what you're proving. For example "I demonstrated that the sun was made of fire." On the other hand, "Demonstrate how..." can only explain the exact way in which something happened. For example, "I demonstrated how to make water from ice." B doesn't make sense with "how", because it's not describing a method, only a fact.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: tenth-century stave churches of Norway   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2010, 17:34