Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 153

Kudos [?]: 502 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 20:32
Phaser wrote:
kylexy wrote:
Hi "being" is always considered as a wrong statement in GMAT....so you can eliminate B and C straight away.

I was just going through the MGMAT SC book the other day and it said that the GMAT test-makers, aware of this common 'being-is-always-wrong' theory, have found ways to incorporate 'being' in correct answer choices as well. Don't be too quick to dismiss it if you think you are in 700-plus territory.

You are right.
I faced with at least three questions from official guide and gmatprep in which "being" was in correct answer choice.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 12:50
A for parallelism...what is the Idiom here anybody???
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2010, 00:39
I did not choose A because I think A makes split error with "for example" between "having" and "been"
Please help me to explain my querry.

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 21:54
Having been is parallel in A.Remove the non-essential clause in commas and check it.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, Oxford
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 04:26
kylexy wrote:

Hi "being" is always considered as a wrong statement in GMAT....so you can eliminate B and C straight away.

is it the case ?

if yes, what is the logic ?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2011, 11:56
A maintains ||is and is the best

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 14:00
Way too many typos for this question to be good for studying.

Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example, been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.

The correct problem stem should change "as" to "at". I discarded A and didn't like any other options due to the typo.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 10:26
Quote:
Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example, been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.

A -- having, for example, been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been
B -- having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
C -- as, for example, having too low of a dosage of prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were
E -- for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been

Answer: A
Perfectly parallel - 'having been...or...having been'

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 09:29
sher676 wrote:

A -- having, for example, been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been
B -- having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
C -- as, for example, having too low of a dosage of prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were
E -- for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been

Tough question. Chose A because once you remove for example, it has the best parallelism of all.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 46

Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 10:16
sher676 wrote:

Hi All,
Cant vouch for "A" becasue i'm not sure what does it mean by "[highlight]a drug as a dosage too low[/highlight]"? I agree we've parallelism in Option A.
How about Option "E" ? I understand "When" is incorrect but will "E" be better option if we replace
"When" with "Either" -
for example, [highlight]when[/highlight]they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been
for example, [highlight]EITHER[/highlight]they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been

Let me know your thought.
Peace!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 21:57
I picked B, but I see now why A is best.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 23:14
Weird answer choices...with A least weird! It maintains ||ism!

Working towards a goal...
V.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 73

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 09:15

A -- having, for example, been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been CORRECT!
C -- as, for example, having too low of a dosage of prescribed drug for it to be effetive, or being

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 08:53
sher676 wrote:

having been prescribed || having been taken
There is no problem in (A), so (A) should be the answer.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 13:51
A is best choice of those given, definitely is not "as" or "when"

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Re: Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 23:31
marked c :( ... but now I got the logic ! thanks :)

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 06:08
sher676 wrote:

B -- having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being => the dosage was too low cannot cause have drug prescription ineffective. Using "because" is wrong
D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were => using "for it to be effective" is wordy.
E -- for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been => "been" has no helping verb

Quite confusing question. Got A after 2 min.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Re: Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 00:24
A. it observes the parallelism having....having
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 09:46
A sounds awkward. Perhaps A is the best option.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 03:25
a because two having's make it a parallel structure!
Re: Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2012, 03:25