Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 20:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 113

Re: Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 15:45
A -- having, for example, been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been
B -- having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
C -- as, for example, having too low of a dosage of prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were - not parallel been prescribed or been
E -- for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been- not parallel
Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 21:56
skg wrote:
Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.

A -- having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been
B -- having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being( DRUG PRESCRIPTION WAS INEFFECTIVE: NOT RIGHT)
C -- as, for example, having too low of a dosage of prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were ( I DONT THINK " WERE" IS CORRECT IN THIS STATEMENT)
E -- for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been( AGAIN LOW DOSAGE DRUG PRESCRIPTION: NOT RIGHT

I am finding difficult to differentiate between A and C

being most of the times is wrong on gmat..
if you have two options which look competitive eliminate the one with being
and hence the answer

just one more month for exam...

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
GPA: 3.05
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 19:40
Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.

Here's my two cents.

For this particular question, it is essential to understand the meaning first.

1. Some patients don't respond to therapies for depression
2. The reason may be the inadequate treatment
3. low dosage prescription
4. took off a drug

Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simply have received inadequate treatment,

'may have received' is the present perfect tense. The changes in the treatment has recently happened. In order to throw good examples, the examples must have been changed recently to reflect the present perfect tense.

(A) having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been
sounds little wordy but correct

(B) having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
meaning is changed. sounds like the patient intended to hold onto an ineffective drug.

(C) as, for example, having too low of a dosage of a prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being

'as' is referring to the treatment. No sense

(D) when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage to be effective, or were
lack of parallelism

(E) for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been
'for example' sounds like modifying the treatment.

Please correct me if wrong.

Luck is the additional surplus on the way to one's constant effort.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 18

Re: Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 07:15
eventhough A sounds weird to me. but other choices sound more weird...

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 08:19
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2014, 08:19