Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 06:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 13

Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 11:18
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

51% (02:02) correct 49% (01:17) wrong based on 354 sessions
Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example, been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.

A -- having, for example, been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been
B -- having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
C -- as, for example, having too low of a dosage of prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were
E -- for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 12:07
Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.

A -- having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been
B -- having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being( DRUG PRESCRIPTION WAS INEFFECTIVE: NOT RIGHT)
C -- as, for example, having too low of a dosage of prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were ( I DONT THINK " WERE" IS CORRECT IN THIS STATEMENT)
E -- for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been( AGAIN LOW DOSAGE DRUG PRESCRIPTION: NOT RIGHT

I am finding difficult to differentiate between A and C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 12:09
Well if we have to consider parallelism, then I guess A is the answer

Can you plz post the correct answer. Thank you for the good post
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 12:23
IMO A is the best choice as it maintains llism
having, for example been ............having been
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 188 [3] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2009, 16:26
This post received
KUDOS
This question is from Brutal_SCs.doc.

It has many obvious typos, both here and in the word file.

It should be:

Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.

- "respond to therapies for depression" rather than "respond therapies of depression".
- for example takes a comma after
- "prescribed at a dosage" rather than "prescribed as a dosage"

The answer is A.

Please kudos if my post helps.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden:Tepper:UCUIC:Kenan Flager:Nanyang:NUS:ISB:UCI Merage:Emory
WE 1: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2009, 05:49
skg wrote:
Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.

A -- having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been
B -- having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being( DRUG PRESCRIPTION WAS INEFFECTIVE: NOT RIGHT)
D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were ( I DONT THINK " WERE" IS CORRECT IN THIS STATEMENT)
E -- for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been( AGAIN LOW DOSAGE DRUG PRESCRIPTION: NOT RIGHT

Hi "being" is always considered as a wrong statement in GMAT....so you can eliminate B and C straight away.

ans: A

cheers
kyle

Second cut is the deepest cut!!!:P

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ROSS PT 2012
WE 1: Mech Engineer - General Electric - 2yrs
WE 2: Lead Mech Engineer - Ingersoll Rand - 4 yrs
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2009, 19:09
sher676 wrote:

B -- having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were
E -- for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been

Is the question framed correctly?
Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression

Please disregard - I dint read the post above(the sentence may contain typo's).
CEO
CEO
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2009, 22:37
sher676 wrote:

A. All looks wired but A is lest wired.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 06:33
A -- having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been ...PARALLEL AND PARTICIPLE PHRASE CONTUNING THE COMMA..CORRECT
BEING is ICORRRECT..HAS TO BE PAST PERFECT CO
SENTENCE CANNOT START WITH AS AFTER COMMA
WHEN CANNO START A SETNCE ATER COMMA
UNPARALLEL
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 06:21
kylexy wrote:
skg wrote:

Hi "being" is always considered as a wrong statement in GMAT....so you can eliminate B and C straight away.

ans: A

cheers
kyle

Though I'd go for A...here's something slightly off-track...

I think Option D would be correct if the sentence had been - Some patients...may simply have received inadequate treatment when they were prescribed a drug dosage too low to be effective or, were taken off a drug too soon.

What do you think...I'd want to get my concepts right here ...esp. the usage of 'were' for Option D.

D'oh, I slipped on logic!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg(Evening),Booth (Evening)
WE 1: 5 Years
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 14:41
skg wrote:

skg

If you ommit the 'for example' modifier from A & C you will clearly see that A is correct.

Rock On

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 19:49
IMO A .... obeys parallelism and hence is the best of all choices

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 23:01
Answer is definitely A but the this question is phrased pretty bad.

Not likely to be seen on GMAT IMO
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 689 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 05:34
IMO all choices look awkward. In A, having been is almost always wrong but just for || this makes the correct choice :(

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 6

Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 06:13
A it is.

All choices are bad and A is the least of all.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 09:35
OA is A
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 152

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 23:05
:shock: weird sentence

Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been [highlight]taken off a drug[/highlight]too soon.
A.[highlight]having, for example, been prescribed a drug[/highlight][strike]at a dosage too low to be effective[/strike] [highlight]or having been[/highlight] - only this is parallel
B. having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
C. as, for example, having too low of a dosage of a prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
D. when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage to be effective, or were
E. for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 01:15
I chose the wrong answer because I thought there is no comma in A after FOR EXAMPLE, hence it has to be wrong.
When I checked the questions in GMAT PREP, there was a comma.
So moderators please correct the question and add comma after FOR EXAMPLE in A.

Nanquam Fractum

Intern
Intern
WE 1: General Management: Plastics Manufacturing (7 years)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 13:19
kylexy wrote:

I was just going through the MGMAT SC book the other day and it said that the GMAT test-makers, aware of this common 'being-is-always-wrong' theory, have found ways to incorporate 'being' in correct answer choices as well. Don't be too quick to dismiss it if you think you are in 700-plus territory.
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering

Kudos [?]: 53 [4] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughie [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 13:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
should be A

Parallel A -- having, for example, been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been

a drug prescription can not be ineffective B -- having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being

as, ....., having too low of a dosage - you can't have dosage, you have dose C -- as, for example, having too low of a dosage of prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being

in GMAT, when has to refer to a specific time, not an instance D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were

in GMAT, when has to refer to a specific time, not an instance E -- for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been

All things are possible to those who believe.

Re: Toughie   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2010, 13:40