Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 23:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some people claim to experience a bitter taste whenever they

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 201 [1] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Some people claim to experience a bitter taste whenever they [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2012, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
Some people claim to experience a bitter taste whenever they touch a certain texture; others claim to see 5s as red even when the numbers are printed in black ink. These are forms of synesthesia, a condition many scientists have long considered fakery. To determine whether an effect is faked or truly perceptual, psychologists often use a test called pop-out. If someone looks at a set of tilted lines scattered amid vertical ones, the tilted lines pop out. Similarly, if most of a background’s elements are green dots, and someone is told to look for red targets, the red pops out. On the other hand, a set of black 2s scattered among black 5s almost blends in.

Recently, researchers used a pop-out test to determine whether synesthesia is truly perceptual. Subjects claiming to experience red whenever they see a black 5 and green with every black 2 were given the following test. Several black 2s were arranged to form a triangle among a field of black 5s. In cases where the synesthesia is genuinely perceptual, subjectsshould easily see the triangle, because for them the numbers would have different colors. The synesthetes, unlike nonsynesthetes, correctly identified the triangular shape 90 percent of the time (just as nonsynesthetes do when the numbers actually have different colors). This suggests that the induced colors are genuinely perceptual.
Based on the passage, on which of the following pop-out tests would synesthetes of the type mentioned in the second paragraph be most likely to perform better, on average, than people without synesthesia?
A. Subjects are shown a set of red 5s in the shape of a triangle among a field of green 2s and asked to identify the shape the 5s form.
B. Subjects are shown a set of black 5s in the shape of a rectangle among a field of red 2s and asked to identify the shape the 5s form.
C. Subjects are shown a set of black 5s randomly scattered among a field of black 2s and asked to identify as many 5s as they can in ten seconds.
D. Subjects are shown a set of black 5s in the shape of a triangle among a set of black vertical lines and asked to identify the shape the 5s make.
E. Subjects are shown a set of red targets randomly scattered among a field of green dots and asked to find as many red targets as they can in ten seconds.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 114

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 4

Re: Some people claim to experience a bitter taste [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2012, 08:19
Where did this come from? It's rather confusing in my opinion?

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: Some people claim to experience a bitter taste whenever they [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2012, 22:59
gmatbull wrote:
Some people claim to experience a bitter taste whenever they touch a certain texture; others claim to see 5s
as red even when the numbers are printed in black ink. These are forms of synesthesia, a condition many
scientists have long considered fakery. To determine whether an effect is faked or truly perceptual, psychologists
often use a test called pop-out. If someone looks at a set of tilted lines scattered amid vertical ones, the tilted lines
pop out. Similarly, if most of a background’s elements are green dots, and someone is told to look for red targets,
the red pops out. On the other hand, a set of black 2s scattered among black 5s almost blends in.

Recently, researchers used a pop-out test to determine whether synesthesia is truly perceptual. Subjects claiming
to experience red whenever they see a black 5 and green with every black 2 were given the following test. Several
black 2s were arranged to form a triangle among a field of black 5s. In cases where the synesthesia is genuinely
perceptual, subjectsshould easily see the triangle, because for them the numbers would have different colors. The
synesthetes, unlike nonsynesthetes, correctly identified the triangular shape 90 percent of the time (just as
nonsynesthetes do when the numbers actually have different colors). This suggests that the induced colors are
genuinely perceptual.

Based on the passage, on which of the following pop-out tests would synesthetes of the type mentioned in the second
paragraph be most likely to perform better, on average, than people without synesthesia?

A. Subjects are shown a set of red 5s in the shape of a triangle among a field of green 2s and asked to identify the
shape the 5s form.
B. Subjects are shown a set of black 5s in the shape of a rectangle among a field of red 2s and asked to identify the
shape the 5s form.
C. Subjects are shown a set of black 5s randomly scattered among a field of black 2s and asked to identify as many
5s as they can in ten seconds.
D. Subjects are shown a set of black 5s in the shape of a triangle among a set of black vertical lines and asked to
identify the shape the 5s make.
E. Subjects are shown a set of red targets randomly scattered among a field of green dots and asked to find as many
red targets as they can in ten seconds.

Is the answer to the question is B.....
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 62

Re: Some people claim to experience a bitter taste whenever they [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2012, 04:42
IMO C.
Paragraph 2 talks about synesthetes who see black 5s as red 5s and black 2s as green 2s.

Option C talks about similar settings:
Quote:
C. Subjects are shown a set of black 5s randomly scattered among a field of black 2s and asked to identify as many

BTW what's the OA.

if my post helped you, let me know by pressing Kudos...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Some people claim to experience a bitter taste whenever they [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2012, 10:50
gmatbull wrote:
Some people claim to experience a bitter taste whenever they touch a certain texture; others claim to see 5s
as red even when the numbers are printed in black ink. These are forms of synesthesia, a condition many
scientists have long considered fakery. To determine whether an effect is faked or truly perceptual, psychologists
often use a test called pop-out. If someone looks at a set of tilted lines scattered amid vertical ones, the tilted lines
pop out. Similarly, if most of a background’s elements are green dots, and someone is told to look for red targets,
the red pops out. On the other hand, a set of black 2s scattered among black 5s almost blends in.

Recently, researchers used a pop-out test to determine whether synesthesia is truly perceptual. Subjects claiming
to experience red whenever they see a black 5 and green with every black 2 were given the following test. Several
black 2s were arranged to form a triangle among a field of black 5s. In cases where the synesthesia is genuinely
perceptual, subjectsshould easily see the triangle, because for them the numbers would have different colors. The
synesthetes, unlike nonsynesthetes, correctly identified the triangular shape 90 percent of the time (just as
nonsynesthetes do when the numbers actually have different colors). This suggests that the induced colors are
genuinely perceptual.

Based on the passage, on which of the following pop-out tests would synesthetes of the type mentioned in the second
paragraph be most likely to perform better, on average, than people without synesthesia?

A. Subjects are shown a set of red 5s in the shape of a triangle among a field of green 2s and asked to identify the
shape the 5s form.
B. Subjects are shown a set of black 5s in the shape of a rectangle among a field of red 2s and asked to identify the
shape the 5s form.
D. Subjects are shown a set of black 5s in the shape of a triangle among a set of black vertical lines and asked to
identify the shape the 5s make.
E. Subjects are shown a set of red targets randomly scattered among a field of green dots and asked to find as many
red targets as they can in ten seconds.

this has to be C.
Question says "Based on the passage, on which of the following pop-out tests would synesthetes of the type mentioned in the second
paragraph be most likely to perform better, on average, than people without synesthesia?"

C 1/Test given in 2 para is parallel to option C
D would be performed well by people without synesthesia also, as black 5s and vertical lines are easily distinguishable.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Some people claim to experience a bitter taste whenever they [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2012, 10:59
anshunadir wrote:
IMO C.
Paragraph 2 talks about synesthetes who see black 5s as red 5s and black 2s as green 2s.

Option C talks about similar settings:
Quote:

BTW what's the OA.

OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C
par2 talks about the ease with which synethetes identify triangular black 2's among a field of black 5's.
Option C, however, talks about random black 5's among a field of black 2's. Since the synethetes are more
perceptual in differentiating these colors, they would be better in the arrangement in C...

What's your line of reasoning?

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Director
Director
Followers: 111

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Some people claim to experience a bitter taste whenever they [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 02:53
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 84

Re: Some people claim to experience a bitter taste whenever they [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 04:23
I got it right, but it took me around 7 minutes to get the answer.
The correct answer is C.

Reasoning:

As per the passage "Several black 2s were arranged to form a triangle among a field of black 5s. In cases where the synesthesia is genuinely perceptual, subjectsshould easily see the triangle."
Only option C talks about the number of 5s, rest all the options talk about the shape of 5s.

Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "+1 KUDOS" icon.
My IELTS 7.5 Experience
From 540 to 640...Done with GMAT!!!
http://www.sahilchaudhary007.blogspot.com

Re: Some people claim to experience a bitter taste whenever they   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2014, 04:23