Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 20:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some questions on writing AWA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 46

Re: Some questions on writing AWA [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 09:52
1. When I refer to what stated in the given or original claim, what is the correct verb tense or it doesn't matter? Say, should I write "The author mentionED that...." or "The author mentionS that..."

- I always use present tense. "The author mentions than..." .

2. In Argument AWA, is it a matter to identify the MAJOR logical flaw or miss it? Or as long as my writing is clear and in a structral way I can still get a score 6?

- To get 6 - yes, u have to identify the major flaw - complete or at least partial. If you dont, and if ur writing is very lucid and structurally strong , you can score upto 5.5 ...i guess.

3. In Argument AWA, somehow I noticed that one weakness in the reasoning actually can be categorized into several logical flaws. I don't know how to illustrate this one clearly in a simple language. In the case you had similar experience, do you think it is OK if I refer to this one single piece from different aspects of flaws?

- As the time is limited, you can not explain all the sub-flaws in detail. In such cases what I do is, I list down all the flaws that I have identified and explain one of them (mostly the imp one) with examples. If time permits, you can explain another one. However before going to add something extra to my analysis, I always make sure that I've already written a nice ending para.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 17

Re: Some questions on writing AWA [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 10:55
mymisc wrote:
I have several questions on writing AWA. Please advice if you happen to know these for sure. Thanks!

1. When I refer to what stated in the given or original claim, what is the correct verb tense or it doesn't matter? Say, should I write "The author mentionED that...." or "The author mentionS that..."

My prefernece: The author mentions that

2. In Argument AWA, is it a matter to identify the MAJOR logical flaw or miss it? Or as long as my writing is clear and in a structral way I can still get a score 6?

Check out the OG to get a clear idea on what an essay should have to be rated a certain score.

3. In Argument AWA, somehow I noticed that one weakness in the reasoning actually can be categorized into several logical flaws. I don't know how to illustrate this one clearly in a simple language. In the case you had similar experience, do you think it is OK if I refer to this one single piece from different aspects of flaws?

try to find different flaws in the argument. one point may have several flaws but use that approach only when you are out of ideas or in a hurry

Thank you!
Re: Some questions on writing AWA   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2010, 10:55