Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 22:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some scientists believe that sugar causes a specific type of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 132 [1] , given: 136

Some scientists believe that sugar causes a specific type of [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 05:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (02:21) correct 41% (01:24) wrong based on 233 sessions
Some scientists believe that sugar causes a specific type of pancreatic cancer. They have found that people who consume at least 2 carbonated drinks containing sugar per day have a 90% higher rate of pancreatic cancer than those who drink the same number of diet drinks per day. Therefore, if we were to substitute diet drinks for regular soda pop, it would considerably reduce our chances of getting pancreatic cancer.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above.

a) Many diet drinks contain artificial sweeteners called cyclamates, which have been known to cause intestinal and bladder cancer in lab studies
b) Statistically, people who consume several sugared drinks a day are also the least likely to maintain a regular exercise regimen. It has been shown that regular exercise is a factor in reducing the pancreatic cancer.
c) People who generally avoid sugared beverages also tend to avoid sugar in other parts of diet.
d) Diet drinks have actually been linked to a higher risk of weight gain
e) The study showed that the increase in rate of pancreatic cancer remained the same whether the person drank 2 or 5 sugared drinks.

My doubts-

I know this is a classic cause - effect reasoning, however where I got confused is what we need to Weaken.
i.e whether we need to weaken is
sugar causes a specific type of pancreatic cancer -----equation A
or
Therefore, if we were to substitute diet drinks for regular soda pop, it would considerably reduce our chances of getting pancreatic cancer --- equation B

Correct answer choice is blatant enough. Need to understand that answer choice B is weakening equation A or B

Also, I need reasoning for choice C as why that is wrong.

Thanks

Edit: Corrected Option B.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Last edited by imhimanshu on 07 May 2012, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 626 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Sugar and Pancreatic Cancer [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 07:38
Some scientists believe that sugar causes a specific type of pancreatic cancer. They have found that people who consume at least 2 carbonated drinks containing sugar per day have a 90% higher rate of pancreatic cancer than those who drink the same number of diet drinks per day. Therefore, if we were to substitute diet drinks for regular soda pop, it would considerably reduce our chances of getting pancreatic cancer.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above.

Remember, in weaken questions, you have to weaken the conclusion which in this case states that by substituting diet drinks for regular soda pop, our chances of getting pancreatic cancer would considerably reduce.

Therefore we have to search for an answer choice that gives us reason to believe that regular soda pop is not a cause for pancreatic cancer.

a) Many diet drinks contain artificial sweeteners called cyclamates, which have been known to cause intestinal and bladder cancer in lab studies Ok.. so diet drinks cause other types of cancer. But this doesn't tell us anything about the effect of diet drinks relating to PANCREATIC CANCER which is what the conclusion of the argument clearly refers to. Therefore this does not weaken the conclusion in any way.
b) Statistically, people who consume several suggested (is this the same word used in the original question?)drinks a day are also the least likely to maintain a regular exercise regimen. It has been shown that regular exercise is a factor in reducing the pancreatic cancer.This provides us with with another reason as to why people who drink regular soda pop might be getting pancreatic cancer - Lack of exercise. Therefore since this alludes to the fact that lack of exercise and not soda pop is the reason they might be getting pancreatic cancer, this definitely weakens the conclusion.
c) People who generally avoid sugared beverages also tend to avoid sugar in other parts of diet. This makes no mention of whether these people get pancreatic cancer or not and therefore does not strengthen or weaken the conclusion
d) Diet drinks have actually been linked to a higher risk of weight gain We don't know the relation of weight gain to pancreatic cancer. Hence we cannot say whether this weakens the conclusion or not.
e) The study showed that the increase in rate of pancreatic cancer remained the same whether the person drank 2 or 5 sugared drinks. This, if anything, strengthens the argument by stating that irrespective of whether a person consumes 2 or 5 sugared drinks, there is definitely an increased risk of pancreatic cancer as a result of consuming sugared drinks.

Click below to check out some great tips and tricks to help you deal with problems on Remainders!
compilation-of-tips-and-tricks-to-deal-with-remainders-86714.html#p651942

Word Problems Made Easy!
1) Translating the English to Math : word-problems-made-easy-87346.html
2) 'Work' Problems Made Easy : work-word-problems-made-easy-87357.html
3) 'Distance/Speed/Time' Word Problems Made Easy : distance-speed-time-word-problems-made-easy-87481.html

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1123

Kudos [?]: 5097 [2] , given: 164

Re: CR- Sugar and Pancreatic Cancer [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 08:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
imhimanshu wrote:
My doubts-

I know this is a classic cause - effect reasoning, however where I got confused is what we need to Weaken.
i.e whether we need to weaken is
sugar causes a specific type of pancreatic cancer -----equation A
or
Therefore, if we were to substitute diet drinks for regular soda pop, it would considerably reduce our chances of getting pancreatic cancer --- equation B

Correct answer choice is blatant enough. Need to understand that answer choice B is weakening equation A or B

Also, I need reasoning for choice C as why that is wrong.

Thanks

One of the most important things in CR - you have to strengthen/weaken the conclusion of the stimulus. Just the conclusion.

So first thing to look for is the conclusion. It is pretty straight forward here, isn't it?
It starts with 'Therefore' and fits the description of conclusion perfectly. It is the conclusion of the stimulus then.

Focus on the conclusion: if we were to substitute diet drinks for regular soda pop, it would considerably reduce our chances of getting pancreatic cancer

What is it trying to tell you? It is saying that if you reduce your sugar intake, your chances of getting pancreatic cancer reduces.

I think the only confusion is between (B) and (C).
(B) is correct because it gives you an alternative cause of pancreatic cancer - no regular exercise. Since people who consume sugar drinks are also the ones who exercise little, the ones who consume diet drinks could be more active and hence, there could be an alternative explanation. Hence the conclusion that reduction in sugar will reduce your chances of getting pancreatic cancer is weakened.

(C) is a sneaky but incorrect option. It kind of strengthens the link between sugar and cancer, doesn't it? People who drink regular pop also consume more sugar in other things. So probably, people who consume diet drinks take less sugar in other things too and hence, their risk of cancer is lower. Don't forget the intent of the conclusion - it is establishing a relation between sugar and cancer, not between soda pop and cancer. The whole stimulus is based on the amount of sugar.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Sugar and Pancreatic Cancer [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 09:01
Hai Karishma

can you tell me that in option B "suggested drinks" means diet soda or regular soda. i thought like suggested drink means diet soda. How can i differentiate. please explain
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 136

Re: CR- Sugar and Pancreatic Cancer [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 09:03
Thanks Karishma for the reply.

As you pointed out that we need to focus on Conclusion in Weaken /Strengthen question, however, I need to confirm one doubt. Can we state the conclusion in our own words as you did below(colored part). i.e. Are we allowed to state the logical intent of the conclusion, just as you found out in your reply?

While going through the explanation of this question from book, same conclusion is being derived i.e the one you found out logically and then options were analyzed in order to weaken it. That is where I got confused.

Please explain.
Thanks

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

One of the most important things in CR - you have to strengthen/weaken the conclusion of the stimulus. Just the conclusion.

So first thing to look for is the conclusion. It is pretty straight forward here, isn't it?
It starts with 'Therefore' and fits the description of conclusion perfectly. It is the conclusion of the stimulus then.

Focus on the conclusion: if we were to substitute diet drinks for regular soda pop, it would considerably reduce our chances of getting pancreatic cancer

What is it trying to tell you? It is saying that if you reduce your sugar intake, your chances of getting pancreatic cancer reduces.

I think the only confusion is between (B) and (C).
(B) is correct because it gives you an alternative cause of pancreatic cancer - no regular exercise. Since people who consume sugar drinks are also the ones who exercise little, the ones who consume diet drinks could be more active and hence, there could be an alternative explanation. Hence the conclusion that reduction in sugar will reduce your chances of getting pancreatic cancer is weakened.

(C) is a sneaky but incorrect option. It kind of strengthens the link between sugar and cancer, doesn't it? People who drink regular pop also consume more sugar in other things. So probably, people who consume diet drinks take less sugar in other things too and hence, their risk of cancer is lower. Don't forget the intent of the conclusion - it is establishing a relation between sugar and cancer, not between soda pop and cancer. The whole stimulus is based on the amount of sugar.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 136

Re: CR- Sugar and Pancreatic Cancer [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 09:04
Hi TomB,
I have edited my post. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks
H
TomB wrote:
Hai Karishma

can you tell me that in option B "suggested drinks" means diet soda or regular soda. i thought like suggested drink means diet soda. How can i differentiate. please explain

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1123

Kudos [?]: 5097 [0], given: 164

Re: CR- Sugar and Pancreatic Cancer [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 09:19
Expert's post
imhimanshu wrote:
Thanks Karishma for the reply.

As you pointed out that we need to focus on Conclusion in Weaken /Strengthen question, however, I need to confirm one doubt. Can we state the conclusion in our own words as you did below(colored part). i.e. Are we allowed to state the logical intent of the conclusion, just as you found out in your reply?

While going through the explanation of this question from book, same conclusion is being derived i.e the one you found out logically and then options were analyzed in order to weaken it. That is where I got confused.

Please explain.
Thanks

Yes, you certainly have to focus on the intent of the conclusion. If one replaces sugar soda pop with diet soda pop but starts drinking fruit juices with added sugar, it doesn't help, does it?

That is how Verbal is different from Quant (though CR is closest to Quant). You take Quant on face value (if the variable given is 'a', it is 'a'. The author's intent cannot be 'b'.). In Verbal, you need to deduce the author's intent sometimes.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 33

Re: CR- Sugar and Pancreatic Cancer [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 18:42
sriharimurthy wrote:

b) Statistically, people who consume several suggested (is this the same word used in the original question?)drinks a day are also the least likely to maintain a regular exercise regimen. It has been shown that regular exercise is a factor in reducing the pancreatic cancer.This provides us with with another reason as to why people who drink regular soda pop might be getting pancreatic cancer - Lack of exercise. Therefore since this alludes to the fact that lack of exercise and not soda pop is the reason they might be getting pancreatic cancer, this definitely weakens the conclusion.

It has been shown that regular exercise is a factor in reducing the pancreatic cancer.

Does this mean that lack of regular exercise ---> increases the chances of cancer ???

Encourage me by pressing the KUDOS if you find my post to be helpful.

Help me win "The One Thing You Wish You Knew - GMAT Club Contest"
the-one-thing-you-wish-you-knew-gmat-club-contest-140358.html#p1130989

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- Sugar and Pancreatic Cancer [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2012, 22:31
Not simply a part of the pancreas, stomach or gallbladder are removed via the surgery treatment implemented in Whipple treatment for pancreatic cancer. Tumor concerning the pancreas may be tremendously helped with it. Usually, deficiency of information that's equally precise and simple to learn can easily weigh on already distressed individuals. This content can help patients, their own families as well as relatives to understand the Whipple procedure, survival rate, side effects and possible prospects.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 6

Re: Some scientists believe that sugar causes a specific type [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 03:02
Straight B.

One way to weaken the "To reduce pancreatic cancer, stop drinking sugared drinks" argument is to identify alternative causes of the disease. If exercise has been found to be a major reducer of the likelihood of the diseases, this revelation diminishes the need to cut down consumption of the sugared drinks.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Some scientists believe that sugar causes a specific type of [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2014, 10:31
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Some scientists believe that sugar causes a specific type of   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2014, 10:31