Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2005, 18:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (02:25) correct 33% (00:41) wrong based on 5 sessions
Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like a warm-blooded mammal’s than a cold-blooded reptile’s.

A. that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like
B. that the metabolism of many dinosaur species were more like
C. that the metabolisms of many species of dinosaurs were more like those of
D. there were many species of dinosaurs that had metabolisms more like those of
E. there were many dinosaur species that had a metabolism more like that of

My major question here is can we or can we not eliminate that. Does anyone have a rule for when "that" can be eliminated?

thanks
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Dino's [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2005, 18:19
A is best. B has wrong verb. "that" or "those" in C, D and E are wrong and unnecessary.

i am not sure which that you talking? in gmat sentence correction, if we look on only one aspect of problem, we cannot solve the problem. i believe in every problem there is a clue. if we can find the clue, then it would be easy to find the correct answer. lets see:

in this sentence, the clue is "a warm-blooded mammal’s than a cold-blooded reptile’s", which is possesive expression. this helps rule out some of the wrong answer choices such as C, D and E because these choices posses "than those" "than that" etc whoich are redundancy. B carries wrong verb "were", which is plural, where as we need singular verb for singular subject the metabolism.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2005, 18:23
All choices except A are wrong.

You need THAT after content to explain what the scinetists contend.

Possessive + those or that makes it redundant.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Dino's [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2005, 18:29
damit wrote:
Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like a warm-blooded mammal’s than a cold-blooded reptile’s.

A. that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like
B. that the metabolism of many dinosaur species were more like
C. that the metabolisms of many species of dinosaurs were more like those of
D. there were many species of dinosaurs that had metabolisms more like those of
E. there were many dinosaur species that had a metabolism more like that of

My major question here is can we or can we not eliminate that. Does anyone have a rule for when "that" can be eliminated?

thanks

In an effort to address your question,

You cannot eliminate "that" in this case because one of the things tested here is the correct idiom for contend which is in fact "contend that".
In fact , "that" in the answer choices helps eliminate D and E as it is known that the correct idiom is "contend that.."
by the way, the answer is A
Manager
Manager

Re: SC - Dino's [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2005, 19:21
Hi guys thanks for getting back to me. I am not sure if i understand what you mean by possesive + that or those = redundancy

i dont see a "than those" in any anwer choice. also is A not a faulty comparison or is like a warm blooded mamal's imply that the metabolism of some dino's is like that of a warm blooded mamal's?

would appreciate some clarfication on the redundancy aspect
thanks

HIMALAYA wrote:
A is best. B has wrong verb. "that" or "those" in C, D and E are wrong and unnecessary.

i am not sure which that you talking? in gmat sentence correction, if we look on only one aspect of problem, we cannot solve the problem. i believe in every problem there is a clue. if we can find the clue, then it would be easy to find the correct answer. lets see:

in this sentence, the clue is "a warm-blooded mammal’s than a cold-blooded reptile’s", which is possesive expression. this helps rule out some of the wrong answer choices such as C, D and E because these choices posses "than those" "than that" etc whoich are redundancy. B carries wrong verb "were", which is plural, where as we need singular verb for singular subject the metabolism.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2005, 19:44
please consider the following sentence

The rate of crime in city A is higher than that in city B -> is this wrong? it has a than + that contruction?

Is this better? can you omit the part int he brackets?

City a's rate of crime is higher than (that of?) city b's
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2005, 15:45
damit wrote:
please consider the following sentence

The rate of crime in city A is higher than that in city B -> is this wrong? it has a than + that contruction?

Is this better? can you omit the part int he brackets?

City a's rate of crime is higher than (that of?) city b's

your example is wrong. You are using possessive to express what in the first part.. You can not say "City a's rate of crime". If you do then tell me what does a's (expand it) stands for...

You use possessive usually to indicate the conjunction "of".

My life's aim is X.
or The aim of My life is X...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2005, 17:21
Whoa!! Am I the only one choosing B here. Please correct me, I thought, "many species of dinosaurs" was correct instead of many species of dinosaur. I thought B corrects this by using many dinosaur species. I agree that A is the shortest of all the choices, but is A the most appropriate??
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2005, 18:50
Darth_McDaddy wrote:
Whoa!! Am I the only one choosing B here. Please correct me, I thought, "many species of dinosaurs" was correct instead of many species of dinosaur. I thought B corrects this by using many dinosaur species. I agree that A is the shortest of all the choices, but is A the most appropriate??

Darth b is wrong because the subject and verb do not agree.

In the B, the subject is "the metabolism", which is singular and need a singular verb.
  [#permalink] 27 Jul 2005, 18:50