Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Somebody help me , please !!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Somebody help me , please !!!! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 02:21
I have a problem with my GMAT . Let me tell you about my background.
Before I took GMAT prep course at KAPLAN , I had read OG11 for one time for one month. Then , I realized that I needed technique for attacking GMAT ;so, I took KAPLAN GMAT prep course. After that , I practiced GMAT everyday , both OG11 for second time and additional GMAT questions in KAPLAN book. I took CAT test for two times. I did GMAT prep test 1 and got 540. For GMAT prep test 2 , I got 640. Then , I took GMAT test for the first time on 24 Aug 07. I got 580 : Quantitative 49 scaled scores or 89% and Verbal 21 scaled scores or 24%. For writing , I got 4.5 . I thinked that I could do more.
So , I continued to read and practice OG11 for the third time for one month. I took another 6 CAT tests , but their scores were 530-570. I did not worry. I usually read and practiced KAPLAN questions in the coursebook , too. I bought Quantitative review (Green book) and Verbal review (Purple book) for more practicing. My scores were O.K. I also bought Critical Reasoning Bible of Powerscore , but its question stems are very difficult for me. I just reading its concept. Before taking GMAT for the second time , I took GMAT prep again. Practice test1 , I got 600. Practice test 2 , I got 680. Is it sound O.K.? I took GMAT for the second time on 26 Sep 07(today). I got 580 again. Quantitative 44 (72%) , Verbal 26 (42%). I swear I read both Quantitative and Verbal equally , but I feel that Quantitative is much more difficult than that in the first time I took.
I don't know what to do next because I have not take TOEFL. I wish to attend a business school in Fall 2008 , but my GMAT score is very low to attend top 40 schools.
Oh , I forget to tell you that I 'm not at work. I resigned from PwC for two months up until now.

Last edited by Frazer on 26 Sep 2007, 06:48, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 05:55
It sounds to me like you need to spend a ton of time on your Verbal score. If you can get that into the high 30's you're in a whole new level of GMAT score. If I were you, I'd hang around GMAT Club and solve all the SC and CR questions posted, and study Verbal like crazy. You're quant ability is probably somewhere between 44 and 49 so you should be fine there. Best of luck.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Somebody help me , please !!!! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 09:09
Frazer wrote:
I have a problem with my GMAT . Let me tell you about my background.
Before I took GMAT prep course at KAPLAN , I had read OG11 for one time for one month. Then , I realized that I needed technique for attacking GMAT ;so, I took KAPLAN GMAT prep course. After that , I practiced GMAT everyday , both OG11 for second time and additional GMAT questions in KAPLAN book. I took CAT test for two times. I did GMAT prep test 1 and got 540. For GMAT prep test 2 , I got 640. Then , I took GMAT test for the first time on 24 Aug 07. I got 580 : Quantitative 49 scaled scores or 89% and Verbal 21 scaled scores or 24%. For writing , I got 4.5 . I thinked that I could do more.
So , I continued to read and practice OG11 for the third time for one month. I took another 6 CAT tests , but their scores were 530-570. I did not worry. I usually read and practiced KAPLAN questions in the coursebook , too. I bought Quantitative review (Green book) and Verbal review (Purple book) for more practicing. My scores were O.K. I also bought Critical Reasoning Bible of Powerscore , but its question stems are very difficult for me. I just reading its concept. Before taking GMAT for the second time , I took GMAT prep again. Practice test1 , I got 600. Practice test 2 , I got 680. Is it sound O.K.? I took GMAT for the second time on 26 Sep 07(today). I got 580 again. Quantitative 44 (72%) , Verbal 26 (42%). I swear I read both Quantitative and Verbal equally , but I feel that Quantitative is much more difficult than that in the first time I took.
I don't know what to do next because I have not take TOEFL. I wish to attend a business school in Fall 2008 , but my GMAT score is very low to attend top 40 schools.
Oh , I forget to tell you that I 'm not at work. I resigned from PwC for two months up until now.

If you are planning to take the GMAT again, make sure to improve your verbal score by atleast 10 points.
Buy the manhattan GMAT sentence correction guide, build your concepts first and practice a lot from all kinds of material. Also create an error log of the wrong questions and visit them periodically. I did notice an amazing improvement in my ability of answer the SC questions after I followed this method. Moreover, you'll get acquainted with the common question types and would help you nailing them down in less than a minute/question on an average. This way you would get more time on the CR and RC questions.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 09:10
I have the same problem, unlike you, i have not taken real gmat yet. but I am kinda sure i might end up with <600. I am not targeting TOPs, I only need the education, sure i can then land a job with one of the Big 4.
I would recom, not to leave ur current job and do gmat after work. I know PWC work is a burden of preassure with deadlines. but u can manage,

good luck
  [#permalink] 26 Sep 2007, 09:10