Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 00:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Something must be done to stop spam. " In early days,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 97 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Something must be done to stop spam. " In early days, [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 15:52
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Something must be done to stop spam. "In early days, people seldom received unsolicited email advertisement"; but now that numerous bulk email software and email address finders are developed to collect email address all around the world. Advertisers use email addresses to market their products and even sell such email lists to other advertisers. As a result, almost everyone ever get junk email, and sometime several and even tens of annoying emails a day. "So, relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising".

The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. Background that the argument depends on and conclusion that can be drawn from the argument.
B. Part of evidence that the argument includes, and inference that can be drawn from this passage.
C. Pre-evidence that the argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.
D. Background that argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.
E. Pre-evidence that argument includes and a method that helps to supports that conclusion.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 284 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 18:01
This post received
KUDOS
saravalli wrote:
Something must be done to stop spam. "In early days, people seldom received unsolicited email advertisement"; but now that numerous bulk email software and email address finders are developed to collect email address all around the world. Advertisers use email addresses to market their products and even sell such email lists to other advertisers. As a result, almost everyone ever get junk email, and sometime several and even tens of annoying emails a day. "So, relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising".

The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. Background that the argument depends on and conclusion that can be drawn from the argument.
B. Part of evidence that the argument includes, and inference that can be drawn from this passage.
C. Pre-evidence that the argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.
D. Background that argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.
E. Pre-evidence that argument includes and a method that helps to supports that conclusion.

E for me!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 187 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 18:33
This post received
KUDOS
Conclusion: Something must be done to stop spam.
Premise (Previous Scenario): "In early days, people seldom received unsolicited email advertisement";
Premise (Present Scenario): but now that numerous bulk email software and email address finders are developed to collect email address all around the world.
Premise (Present Scenario): Advertisers use email addresses to market their products and even sell such email lists to other advertisers. As a result, almost everyone ever get junk email, and sometime several and even tens of annoying emails a day.
Premise (Method to support conclusion): "So, relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising".

Clearly E is the answer.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 102 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 18:46
This post received
KUDOS
It is either A or B in this problem.
I picked B. Will explain if correct...
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 100 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 19:26
This post received
KUDOS
E !
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 22:06
This post received
KUDOS
friends, can someone tell me the difference b/w "inference" and "conclusion" ? there have been a couple of bold-face Q that focus on that difference..!

I would really appreciate your competent answers!!!

cheers
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 284 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 22:40
domleon wrote:
friends, can someone tell me the difference b/w "inference" and "conclusion" ? there have been a couple of bold-face Q that focus on that difference..!

cheers

I classify both as MUST BE TRUE QUESTION!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 07:03
This post received
KUDOS
E for me as well
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 07:36
aha clue again... OA is not E. :)
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 07:44
domleon wrote:

cheers

If you look out the window and if it is raining then
1: "It is raining" is the conclusion.
2: Without looking into the sky if you say, if it is raining then 'it must be cloudy'.
"it must be cloudy" is the inference.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 08:59
This post received
KUDOS
A

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 173 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 10:44
This post received
KUDOS
bkk145 wrote:
It is either A or B in this problem.
I picked B. Will explain if correct...

i agree, it should be either A or B. I'll pick A,
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 31 May 2008, 06:14
OA is B. Thanks
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 31 May 2008, 08:08
Here is my explanation as promised. Let me know if I don't make sense...

Boldface 1: "In early days, people seldom received unsolicited email advertisement";

Premises:
but now that numerous bulk email software and email address finders are developed to collect email address all around the world. Advertisers use email addresses to market their products and even sell such email lists to other advertisers. As a result, almost everyone ever get junk email, and sometime several and even tens of annoying emails a day.

Boldface 2: "So, relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising".

Boldface#2 is what the author suggests the government "should do" after concluding that "something must be done to stop spam" (notice the usage of "should"). This means BF#2 is neither evidence nor part of evidence, but rather an opinion of the author. Eliminate C & D. Furthermore, I eliminated E because I don't see BF#2 as supporting the conclusion. I see BF#2 as an inference. When I see "support", I immediately think of "strengthen", and I can only see a premise doing that.

I picked B for two reasons: First, I see BF#2 as "inference". Second, BF#2 is not depending on BF#1.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 178 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 31 May 2008, 08:32
This post received
KUDOS
bkk145 wrote:
Here is my explanation as promised. Let me know if I don't make sense...

Boldface 1: "In early days, people seldom received unsolicited email advertisement";

Premises:
but now that numerous bulk email software and email address finders are developed to collect email address all around the world. Advertisers use email addresses to market their products and even sell such email lists to other advertisers. As a result, almost everyone ever get junk email, and sometime several and even tens of annoying emails a day.

Boldface 2: "So, relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising".

Boldface#2 is what the author suggests the government "should do" after concluding that "something must be done to stop spam" (notice the usage of "should"). This means BF#2 is neither evidence nor part of evidence, but rather an opinion of the author. Eliminate C & D. Furthermore, I eliminated E because I don't see BF#2 as supporting the conclusion. I see BF#2 as an inference. When I see "support", I immediately think of "strengthen", and I can only see a premise doing that.

I picked B for two reasons: First, I see BF#2 as "inference". Second, BF#2 is not depending on BF#1.

I picked E. Your explanation was an eye opener. Thanks!
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface)   [#permalink] 31 May 2008, 08:32