Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 00:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Something must be done to stop spam. " In early days,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 560
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 97 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Something must be done to stop spam. " In early days, [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 15:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Something must be done to stop spam. "In early days, people seldom received unsolicited email advertisement"; but now that numerous bulk email software and email address finders are developed to collect email address all around the world. Advertisers use email addresses to market their products and even sell such email lists to other advertisers. As a result, almost everyone ever get junk email, and sometime several and even tens of annoying emails a day. "So, relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising".

The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. Background that the argument depends on and conclusion that can be drawn from the argument.
B. Part of evidence that the argument includes, and inference that can be drawn from this passage.
C. Pre-evidence that the argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.
D. Background that argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.
E. Pre-evidence that argument includes and a method that helps to supports that conclusion.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1941
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 284 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 18:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
saravalli wrote:
Something must be done to stop spam. "In early days, people seldom received unsolicited email advertisement"; but now that numerous bulk email software and email address finders are developed to collect email address all around the world. Advertisers use email addresses to market their products and even sell such email lists to other advertisers. As a result, almost everyone ever get junk email, and sometime several and even tens of annoying emails a day. "So, relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising".

The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. Background that the argument depends on and conclusion that can be drawn from the argument.
B. Part of evidence that the argument includes, and inference that can be drawn from this passage.
C. Pre-evidence that the argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.
D. Background that argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.
E. Pre-evidence that argument includes and a method that helps to supports that conclusion.


E for me!
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2007
Posts: 950
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 187 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 18:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
Conclusion: Something must be done to stop spam.
Premise (Previous Scenario): "In early days, people seldom received unsolicited email advertisement";
Premise (Present Scenario): but now that numerous bulk email software and email address finders are developed to collect email address all around the world.
Premise (Present Scenario): Advertisers use email addresses to market their products and even sell such email lists to other advertisers. As a result, almost everyone ever get junk email, and sometime several and even tens of annoying emails a day.
Premise (Method to support conclusion): "So, relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising".

Clearly E is the answer.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 102 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 18:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
It is either A or B in this problem.
I picked B. Will explain if correct...
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 735
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 100 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 19:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
E !
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2007
Posts: 171
Location: Vienna, Austria
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 22:06
1
This post received
KUDOS
friends, can someone tell me the difference b/w "inference" and "conclusion" ? there have been a couple of bold-face Q that focus on that difference..!

I would really appreciate your competent answers!!!

cheers
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1941
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 284 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 22:40
domleon wrote:
friends, can someone tell me the difference b/w "inference" and "conclusion" ? there have been a couple of bold-face Q that focus on that difference..!

I would really appreciate your competent answers!!!

cheers


I classify both as MUST BE TRUE QUESTION!
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 1593
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 07:03
1
This post received
KUDOS
E for me as well
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 560
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 07:36
aha clue again... OA is not E. :)
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 560
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 07:44
domleon wrote:
friends, can someone tell me the difference b/w "inference" and "conclusion" ? there have been a couple of bold-face Q that focus on that difference..!

I would really appreciate your competent answers!!!

cheers

If you look out the window and if it is raining then
1: "It is raining" is the conclusion.
2: Without looking into the sky if you say, if it is raining then 'it must be cloudy'.
"it must be cloudy" is the inference.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 08:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
A
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 552
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 173 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 10:44
1
This post received
KUDOS
bkk145 wrote:
It is either A or B in this problem.
I picked B. Will explain if correct...


i agree, it should be either A or B. I'll pick A,
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 560
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 31 May 2008, 06:14
OA is B. Thanks
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 31 May 2008, 08:08
Here is my explanation as promised. Let me know if I don't make sense...
________________________________________
Conclusion: Something must be done to stop spam.

Boldface 1: "In early days, people seldom received unsolicited email advertisement";

Premises:
but now that numerous bulk email software and email address finders are developed to collect email address all around the world. Advertisers use email addresses to market their products and even sell such email lists to other advertisers. As a result, almost everyone ever get junk email, and sometime several and even tens of annoying emails a day.

Boldface 2: "So, relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising".
________________________________________

Boldface#2 is what the author suggests the government "should do" after concluding that "something must be done to stop spam" (notice the usage of "should"). This means BF#2 is neither evidence nor part of evidence, but rather an opinion of the author. Eliminate C & D. Furthermore, I eliminated E because I don't see BF#2 as supporting the conclusion. I see BF#2 as an inference. When I see "support", I immediately think of "strengthen", and I can only see a premise doing that.

I picked B for two reasons: First, I see BF#2 as "inference". Second, BF#2 is not depending on BF#1.

________________________________________
A. Background that the argument depends on and conclusion that can be drawn from the argument.
B. Part of evidence that the argument includes, and inference that can be drawn from this passage.
C. Pre-evidence that the argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.
D. Background that argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.
E. Pre-evidence that argument includes and a method that helps to supports that conclusion.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1377
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 178 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface) [#permalink] New post 31 May 2008, 08:32
1
This post received
KUDOS
bkk145 wrote:
Here is my explanation as promised. Let me know if I don't make sense...
________________________________________
Conclusion: Something must be done to stop spam.

Boldface 1: "In early days, people seldom received unsolicited email advertisement";

Premises:
but now that numerous bulk email software and email address finders are developed to collect email address all around the world. Advertisers use email addresses to market their products and even sell such email lists to other advertisers. As a result, almost everyone ever get junk email, and sometime several and even tens of annoying emails a day.

Boldface 2: "So, relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising".
________________________________________

Boldface#2 is what the author suggests the government "should do" after concluding that "something must be done to stop spam" (notice the usage of "should"). This means BF#2 is neither evidence nor part of evidence, but rather an opinion of the author. Eliminate C & D. Furthermore, I eliminated E because I don't see BF#2 as supporting the conclusion. I see BF#2 as an inference. When I see "support", I immediately think of "strengthen", and I can only see a premise doing that.

I picked B for two reasons: First, I see BF#2 as "inference". Second, BF#2 is not depending on BF#1.

________________________________________
A. Background that the argument depends on and conclusion that can be drawn from the argument.
B. Part of evidence that the argument includes, and inference that can be drawn from this passage.
C. Pre-evidence that the argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.
D. Background that argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.
E. Pre-evidence that argument includes and a method that helps to supports that conclusion.



I picked E. Your explanation was an eye opener. Thanks!
Re: CR - advertisement (boldface)   [#permalink] 31 May 2008, 08:32
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Something must be done to stop spam. In early days, people rampuria 18 05 Mar 2009, 07:45
Something must be done to stop spam. In early days, people circkit 9 26 Jul 2007, 03:48
Something must be done to stop spam. In early days, people AK47 8 22 Jan 2007, 04:53
Something must be done to stop spam. In early days, people sangarelli 20 05 Sep 2006, 06:34
Something must be done to stop spam. In early days, people nakib77 7 27 Nov 2005, 10:15
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Something must be done to stop spam. " In early days,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.