Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 06:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Something must be done to stop spam. In early days, people

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Something must be done to stop spam. In early days, people [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 06:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
Something must be done to stop spam. In early days, people seldom received unsolicited email advertisement; but now that numerous bulk email software and email address finders are developed to collect email address all around the world. Advertisers use email addresses to market their products and even sell such email lists to other advertisers. As a result, almost everyone ever get junk email, and sometime several and even tens of annoying emails a day. So, relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising.

The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. Background that the argument depends on and conclusion that can be drawn from the argument.

B. Part of evidence that the argument includes, and inference that can be drawn from this passage.

C. Pre-evidence that the argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.

D. Background that argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.

E. Pre-evidence that argument includes and a method that helps to supports that conclusion

A well-balanced person is one who has a drink in each of his hands.

CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 06:38
I think its E. Will explain if correct.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 06:39
What is pre-evidence?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 06:48
sangarelli wrote:
What is pre-evidence?

Shouldn't it be A...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 07:22
I think it is a clear A.

The entire passage has been written to conclude the last line. The first line is a background.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 07:27
I agree with A..
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 07:30
could be A.

Conclusion is the 2nd sentence and not "something must be done to stop spam".
so CDE out.

B out because it is neither an inference. We cannot infer that regulations could help. But we can conclude with the assumption that only regulations can help, that such regulations should be framed to stop spam.

1st sentence is just a background because we dont need to know it to draw a conclusion.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 07:32
IMO it is B.
I don't think that the argument depends on the first bold face.
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 07:59
ok, I am going to ramble here about how E could be the correct choice and probably damage my CR Boldface reputation :lol: but who cares?

FACT or CONCLUSION? Something must be done to stop spam.

In early days, people seldom received unsolicited email advertisement; ok, this is definitely a fact

but now that numerous bulk email software and email address finders are developed to collect email address all around the world. Advertisers use email addresses to market their products and even sell such email lists to other advertisers. blah-blah... process of how it happens ok, fine...

As a result, almost everyone ever get junk email, and sometime several and even tens of annoying emails a day. Fact: everyone gets a junk mail NOW

So, relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising. Yeah... definitely the conclusion, but how does it connect to the argument that spam must be stopped?

A. Background that the argument depends on and conclusion that can be drawn from the argument.
plausable... my 2nd choice, but think about this for a second: It is a background, but does the argument depend on it??? In other words, does the fact that in early days there was little spam mean that we should impose regulations now??? aren't we talking about the present, so how does the fact that there was limited spam earlier play a role in a conclusion that relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising NOW? I think that depends on the BOLDLESS PART :twisted:

B. Part of evidence that the argument includes, and inference that can be drawn from this passage.
one more time for those who missed my other boldface discussions:
INFERENCE IS NEVER STATED
:beat

C. Pre-evidence that the argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.
again, same problem with A "depends on" part is clearly not the issue.

D. Background that argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.
same as A and the second is really a conlusion

E. Pre-evidence that argument includes and a method that helps to supports that conclusion
Ok... I don't like "pre-evidence" and if this isn't the answer I will definitely learn from this question but here is my logic on how this could the the answer:

Something must be done to stop spam. HOW??? Here is the method for you:
So, relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising.

thanks for reading my lengthy rambling :lol: I hope it makes sense
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 08:11
mailtheguru wrote:
I think it is a clear A.

The entire passage has been written to conclude the last line. The first line is a background.

No way this could be A. Argument is not dependent on the first bold part.

If not E then this is B.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 08:13
U2lover, excellent analysis..

The only problem I have with E is that it considers background information, pre-evidence..are they the same?..

Last edited by gk3.14 on 05 Sep 2006, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 08:16
I agree with U2LOver that regulation is a method. But I disagree that it supports the conclusion.

In E's case, we would have:

premise : So, relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising.
conclusion : Something must be done to stop spam

It sounds odd!

I would rather say:
premise : Something must be done to stop spam

what must be done?

conclusion:relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 08:20
u2lover wrote:
ok, I am going to ramble here about how E could be the correct choice and probably damage my CR Boldface reputation :lol: but who cares?

FACT or CONCLUSION? Something must be done to stop spam.

In early days, people seldom received unsolicited email advertisement; ok, this is definitely a fact

but now that numerous bulk email software and email address finders are developed to collect email address all around the world. Advertisers use email addresses to market their products and even sell such email lists to other advertisers. blah-blah... process of how it happens ok, fine...

As a result, almost everyone ever get junk email, and sometime several and even tens of annoying emails a day. Fact: everyone gets a junk mail NOW

So, relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising. Yeah... definitely the conclusion, but how does it connect to the argument that spam must be stopped?

plausable... my 2nd choice, but think about this for a second: It is a background, but does the argument depend on it??? In other words, does the fact that in early days there was little spam mean that we should impose regulations now??? aren't we talking about the present, so how does the fact that there was limited spam earlier play a role in a conclusion that relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising NOW? I think that depends on the BOLDLESS PART :twisted:

one more time for those who missed my other boldface discussions:
INFERENCE IS NEVER STATED
:beat

again, same problem with A "depends on" part is clearly not the issue.

same as A and the second is really a conlusion

Ok... I don't like "pre-evidence" and if this isn't the answer I will definitely learn from this question but here is my logic on how this could the the answer:

Something must be done to stop spam. HOW??? Here is the method for you:
So, relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising.

thanks for reading my lengthy rambling :lol: I hope it makes sense

IMHO this CR is an abomination; the grammar is downright sloppy and the answer choices are poorly written.

Anyway, the only clear sentences are the two boldfaced portions.

The first gives us some old info or a background... (A or D)

The second part uses "so,"... which is normally considered an opinion or a conclusion.

The best of the worst is (A)

Back over to math...
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 08:25
ok... rearranging might make sense here:

In early days, people seldom received unsolicited email advertisement; but now that numerous bulk email software and email address finders are developed to collect email address all around the world. Advertisers use email addresses to market their products and even sell such email lists to other advertisers. As a result, almost everyone ever get junk email, and sometime several and even tens of annoying emails a day.
Something must be done to stop spam. -------->

so blue part, which is a conclusion ot this whole boldless rambling, leads to the METHOD and "early days" stay out of the argument picture, which deals with TODAY.

btw, for those who think that BLUE PART is a premise, I undertand that this is a million dollar question here, but just to let you know there are choices in the BF questions that have 1 conclusion depend on the 2nd... so we may deal with 2 conclusions at the same time!

that's my 2 cents
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 09:05
will go with E

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 09:42
guyz chose (A) too.But (B) is the OA.Only dahiya seems to have chosen it.Let him explain it.

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 09:53
sangarelli wrote:
guyz chose (A) too.But (B) is the OA.Only dahiya seems to have chosen it.Let him explain it.

I don't believe this... What do we know about inference??? It's never stated... in fact, inference is "reading between the lines" and nothing more thus it's never stated!!!

I agree with the 1st part of B, but 2nd part is a contradiction to the simple definition of what the inference is. :madd

dahiya, please shed some light on my argument :roll:
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 09:57
here is Paul's explanation on this:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... light=spam

however, he never said anything about 2nd part of B :!: the inference that is
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 10:26
ok... this question wasn't giving me a break, so I kept on rereading B and you know what I saw? :shock:

:arh thanks GMAT writers for the nice trap :evil:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 10:36
I still don't see how it can be part of the evidence??.

where is this cr from??
  [#permalink] 05 Sep 2006, 10:36