Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 20:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Something must be done to stop spam. In early days, people

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Something must be done to stop spam. In early days, people [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 03:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Something must be done to stop spam. In early days, people seldom received unsolicited email advertisement; but now that numerous bulk email software and email address finders are developed to collect email address all around the world. Advertisers use email addresses to market their products and even sell such email lists to other advertisers. As a result, almost everyone ever get junk email, and sometime several and even tens of annoying emails a day. So, relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising.

The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. Background that the argument depends on and conclusion that can be drawn from the argument.

B. Part of evidence that the argument includes, and inference that can be drawn from this passage.

C. Pre-evidence that the argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.

D. Background that argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.

E. Pre-evidence that argument includes and a method that helps to supports that conclusion.

Can someone explain this..?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 09:02
I feel it is E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 09:10
I think D but I'd love to see someone disect E for me, as it was very tempting.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 09:17
I think it should be A.
Conclusion is something that the author argues should be done.In other words the 'what' of the argument.

The first sentence is plain background info.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-SPAM [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 10:33
circkit wrote:
Something must be done to stop spam. In early days, people seldom received unsolicited email advertisement; but now that numerous bulk email software and email address finders are developed to collect email address all around the world. Advertisers use email addresses to market their products and even sell such email lists to other advertisers. As a result, almost everyone ever get junk email, and sometime several and even tens of annoying emails a day. So, relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising.

A. Background that the argument depends on and conclusion that can be drawn from the argument.

B. Part of evidence that the argument includes, and inference that can be drawn from this passage.

C. Pre-evidence that the argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.

D. Background that argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.

E. Pre-evidence that argument includes and a method that helps to supports that conclusion.

B- The first part is not evidence, just background. It does not support the conclusion.

C- The last part is not evidence, it is the conclusion that is made. The argument is saying that because of all of this spam, something needs to be done.

D- Again, the second part is not evidence.

E- The first part isn't really "pre-evidence". Also the second part isn't a method to support any conclusion. It's simply a conclusion.

So I go with A. Whats the OA?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 00:29
vineetgupta wrote:
I think it should be A.
Conclusion is something that the author argues should be done.In other words the 'what' of the argument.

I picked "A" too, Though i thot dat it is btwn "A" and "E", the OA infact is "B".. :( i dont have the OE :oops: , so can anyone shed more light on this..?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 05:03
B- it is and quite easy.
First is part of an argument. It is a evidence that earlier people did not get junk mail.
Second is a conclusion. Undeniably.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 07:30
circkit wrote:
vineetgupta wrote:
I think it should be A.

I picked "A" too, Though i thot dat it is btwn "A" and "E", the OA infact is "B".. :( i dont have the OE :oops: , so can anyone shed more light on this..?

Well I have a sligthly different explanation than excelgmats'. B is right.

The first part obviously is part of the evidence. There are two distinct things happening here - One is a conclusion - and the conclusion is that SPAM MUST BE STOPPED. In fact the very firist line is this conclusion (Something must be done to stop spam).

The last portion is actually an inference not a conclusion. The argument makes an inference that by anti spam regulations should be formulated to stop unsolicited advertising (stop spam).
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 10:36
dwivedys wrote:
circkit wrote:
vineetgupta wrote:
I think it should be A.

Well I have a sligthly different explanation than excelgmats'. B is right.

The first part obviously is part of the evidence. There are two distinct things happening here - One is a conclusion - and the conclusion is that SPAM MUST BE STOPPED. In fact the very firist line is this conclusion (Something must be done to stop spam).

The last portion is actually an inference not a conclusion. The argument makes an inference that by anti spam regulations should be formulated to stop unsolicited advertising (stop spam).

I don't like to agree with dwivedys that first line is the conclusion. I think it is an opening line opening the way for arguments. The conclusion is definitely the last line that antispam regulations need to be brought.

I would have picked A if the first bf made sense. The argument does not depend upon the first bf. Even if we take it out the whole argument makes good sense.
Would like to hear comment on this.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-SPAM [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 22:54
circkit wrote:

whooo hoo! i actually picked B but thought I was wrong at first.. :lol:
Re: CR-SPAM   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2007, 22:54